Hello, All!
I have a question about the following:

Mana Seism
1R
Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
sacrificed this way.Since it's not worded like "As an additional cost to
play ~, sacrifice..." I suspect that sacrificing is done on resolution
(so countered Mana Seism is only a loss of tempo and one card, not the
lands themselves). Is that correct?

Regards,
Arkady.

Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> Hello, All!
> I have a question about the following:
>

> Mana Seism
> 1R
> Sorcery
> Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
> sacrificed this way.Since it's not worded like "As an additional cost to
> play ~, sacrifice..." I suspect that sacrificing is done on resolution
> (so countered Mana Seism is only a loss of tempo and one card, not the
> lands themselves). Is that correct?

Correct, the sacrificing is done at resolution. And since it's not
targetted, you don't choose *which* lands you want to sacrifice
until resolution, either.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

"Arkady Zilberberg" <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> writes:
> Mana Seism 1R Sorcery
> Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
> sacrificed this way.
>
> Since it's not worded like "As an additional cost to play ~,
> sacrifice..." I suspect that sacrificing is done on resolution (so
> countered Mana Seism is only a loss of tempo and one card, not the
> lands themselves). Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. The only things done on announcement are those
listed in 409.1 in the Comprehensive Rules. (They include choosing
modes, choosing targets, and paying costs.) Anything else in the text
of the spell is done on resolution.

--
Peter C.
"That's probably because I broke it. Not that I'm admitting to it."

Arkady Zilberberg, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Hello, All!
> I have a question about the following:
>

> Mana Seism
> 1R
> Sorcery
> Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
> sacrificed this way.

A line break here would have been a good idea.

> Since it's not worded like "As an additional cost to
> play ~, sacrifice..." I suspect that sacrificing is done on resolution
> (so countered Mana Seism is only a loss of tempo and one card, not the
> lands themselves). Is that correct?

Right. You don't have do sacrifice the lands, or for that matter decide
which ones or even how many are going bye-bye, until resolution. It's
not a cost, target, mode, X value or any of the other things that have
to be determined on announcement, essentially, because it doesn't say it
is.

--
Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

Jeff Heikkinen sez:

<<
>> Mana Seism
>> 1R
>> Sorcery
>> Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
>> sacrificed this way.
>
>A line break here would have been a good idea.

No, it would've been far more confusing. More people than Arkady would've been
asking "is the sac a cost?"

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11

Andy Jakcsy <djaxmann@aol.computer> wrote:

> No, it would've been far more confusing. More people than Arkady would've
> been asking "is the sac a cost?"

What about a line break between the card text and Arkady's question?
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Andy Jakcsy, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Jeff Heikkinen sez:
>
> <<
> >> Mana Seism
> >> 1R
> >> Sorcery
> >> Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
> >> sacrificed this way.
> >
> >A line break here would have been a good idea.
> >

> No, it would've been far more confusing. More people than Arkady would've been
> asking "is the sac a cost?"

I meant between the card text and the question. Check the original post
and see what I mean.

(Much like Magic cards themselves, I usually try to be very precise and
literal. Just like the "All" on cards like Armageddon really does mean
"All", "Here" meant "Here", not somewhere else :).

--

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:37:48 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

>Andy Jakcsy, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
>> Jeff Heikkinen sez:
>>
>> <<
>> >
>> >A line break here would have been a good idea.
>> >

>> No, it would've been far more confusing. More people than Arkady would've been
>> asking "is the sac a cost?"
>
>I meant between the card text and the question. Check the original post
>and see what I mean.
>

>(Much like Magic cards themselves, I usually try to be very precise and
>literal. Just like the "All" on cards like Armageddon really does mean
>"All", "Here" meant "Here", not somewhere else :).

I can't believe I'm dragging out this topic further. Also notice that
there are no spaces between the end of the oracle text and his
question. Perhaps it was an unintentional mistake...(?) Laziness?
Random OE newline flub?

Rick "just enjoying playing detective" Kunkel

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello, All!
>I have a question about the following:
>

>Mana Seism >1R >Sorcery
>Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
>sacrificed this way.Since it's not worded like "As an additional cost to
>play ~, sacrifice..." I suspect that sacrificing is done on resolution
>(so countered Mana Seism is only a loss of tempo and one card, not the
>lands themselves). Is that correct?

....Wait a second. Mana Seism doesn't have five lines of text. Let's see:

Mana Seism 1R Sorcery
Sacrifice any number of lands. Add 1 to your mana pool for each land
sacrificed this way.

....The rest is the question, I assume. Yes, you don't sacrifice, or even pick
what to sacrifice, until Mana Seism is resolving. (And even then you can pick
"no lands" and have Nothing occur.)

Dave

TRENDING THREADS