echoing truth question

Last response: in Video Games
September 29, 2004 3:23:13 PM

Echoing truth 1U
instant
return targer nonland permanent and all other permenents with the same name
as that permenent to their owner's hands.

imagine there are 6 creatures in play:
neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
arcbound stinger: artifact creature
voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem

can i name a "creature" when i play echoing truth? will that return all
creatures to owner's hands, or must i name "wizard" and that would return
neurok transmuter and vedalken archmage to hands...

sorry, my english is not very good, but i hope you understand me.
thanx!

More about : echoing truth question

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 3:23:14 PM

"cemo" <cemo@rock.com> writes:
> Echoing truth 1U
> instant
> return targer nonland permanent and all other permenents with the same name
> as that permenent to their owner's hands.
>
> imagine there are 6 creatures in play:
> neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
> vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
> vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
> rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
> arcbound stinger: artifact creature
> voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem
>
> can i name a "creature" when i play echoing truth? will that return all
> creatures to owner's hands, or must i name "wizard" and that would return
> neurok transmuter and vedalken archmage to hands...

Uh, no. The "name" of a card is what's printed in the upper-left of
it. You play Echoing Truth, targeting a particular permanent. When it
resolves, that permanent, plus everything else that has the same name
on it (treating all language versions as equivilent), goes to their
owners' hands. (FAQs: Copies of things copy the name as well, and
tokens default to having a name that's the same as their creature
type)

> sorry, my english is not very good, but i hope you understand me.

Well, I think I understand you, but I'm not sure where you got your
confusion from.

> thanx!

You're very welcome! Please feel free to post again if you have any
more questions.

--
Peter C.
September 29, 2004 3:23:15 PM

"cemo" <cemo@rock.com> writes:
> if i attack with my creature (let say it's a 2/2 creature) , and my opponent
> is blocking it with one of his artifact creatures, and i have a "voltaic
> construct: artifact creature, 2: untap target artifact creature".
> can i attack, wait for him to block, then pay 2 and untap his blocking
> artifact creature,

Well, his blocking creature isn't tapped. (It couldn't be tapped in
order for him to be able to block with it.) You could play the ability
if you want, but it won't do anything, and certainly won't affect
combat.

> and than have my attacking creature deal its combat damage???

Your attacking creature and his blocking creature will deal combat
damage unless one of them gets removed from combat. The only things
that would remove one from combat is if it (a) stops being a creature,
(b) changes controllers, or (c) something tells it to (such as a
spell, effect, or Regeneration's replacement-effect-keeping-something-
from-destruction.).

--
Peter C.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you

cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>Echoing truth 1U
>instant
>return targer nonland permanent and all other permenents with the same name
>as that permenent to their owner's hands.

Very close:

Echoing Truth 1U Instant
Return target nonland permanent and all other permanents with the same name
as that permanent to their owners' hands.

>imagine there are 6 creatures in play:
>neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
>vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
>vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
>rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
>arcbound stinger: artifact creature
>voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem

None of these have the same name as any other of these.

>can i name a "creature" when i play echoing truth?

You can _target_ any one of the six creatures above, though all of them have
different names; Echoing Truth does not say anything about "choose a name.
Target a nonland permanent with that name. Return...", and neither does it
say "choose a _permanent type_. Behave as though the permanent type you
chose were the name of a nonland permanent. Target nonland permanent with
that type..."

"Creature" is not the name of any card in Magic.

>will that return all
>creatures to owner's hands, or must i name "wizard" and that would return
>neurok transmuter and vedalken archmage to hands...

"Wizard" is not the name of any card in Magic either. There appear to be
no tokens named Wizard either, though with Artificial Evolution you could
cause one or more to be made.

"Creature" isn't a name, it's a permanent type (and spell type and card type);
"Wizard" is a creature type. Neither one have anything to do with the name of
a card which Echoing Truth is using.

Dave
September 29, 2004 4:44:20 PM

cemo wrote:

> Echoing truth 1U
> instant
> return targer nonland permanent and all other permenents with the same
> name as that permenent to their owner's hands.
>
> imagine there are 6 creatures in play:
> neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
> vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
> vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
> rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
> arcbound stinger: artifact creature
> voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem
>
> can i name a "creature" when i play echoing truth?

Sure. A creature is a nonland permanent. You can name any one of the
six creatures in play.

> will that return all
> creatures to owner's hands, or must i name "wizard" and that would return
> neurok transmuter and vedalken archmage to hands...

No, you don't understand how it works. You don't name a card type or
subtype, you target *a* *card*. You can choose one of the creatures
in play. For example, you can choose the Neurok Transmuter. Then
all the permanents in play that are named "Neurok Transmuter" to
back to their owner's hand. Since the Neurok Transmuter you
targetted is the only card in play by that name, it's the only
one that so returns.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 6:57:54 PM

> Uh, no. The "name" of a card is what's printed in the upper-left of
> it. You play Echoing Truth, targeting a particular permanent. When it
> resolves, that permanent, plus everything else that has the same name
> on it (treating all language versions as equivilent), goes to their
> owners' hands. (FAQs: Copies of things copy the name as well, and
> tokens default to having a name that's the same as their creature
> type)
>

> > neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
> > vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
> > vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
> > rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
> > arcbound stinger: artifact creature
> > voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem

so with this spell i can return only one of the above creatures in their
owner's hand...
thanx for answer
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:03:23 PM

> You're very welcome! Please feel free to post again if you have any
> more questions.

i have one more question...
if i attack with my creature (let say it's a 2/2 creature) , and my opponent
is blocking it with one of his artifact creatures, and i have a "voltaic
construct: artifact creature, 2: untap target artifact creature".
can i attack, wait for him to block, then pay 2 and untap his blocking
artifact creature, and than have my attacking creature deal its combat
damage???
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:03:24 PM

cemo <cemo@rock.com> sent:

>> You're very welcome! Please feel free to post again if you have any
>> more questions.
>>

> i have one more question...
> if i attack with my creature (let say it's a 2/2 creature) , and my opponent
> is blocking it with one of his artifact creatures, and i have a "voltaic
> construct: artifact creature, 2: untap target artifact creature".

Voltaic Construct {4} Artifact Creature -- Golem 2/2
/ {2}: Untap target artifact creature.

> can i attack, wait for him to block, then pay 2 and untap his blocking
> artifact creature,

You can target his artifact creature with the Voltaic Construct's
ability, and if his creature happened to be tapped when that ability
resolves, the ability will untap the artifact creature. However, it
is unlikely that the artifact creature would be tapped. It would have
to have been untapped in order to be declared as a blocker (normally
only untapped creatures can block), and blocking doesn't ever cause a
creature to tap. If the blocking creature tapped to use some ability,
then untapping it won't (in general) undo the ability.

> and than have my attacking creature deal its combat
> damage???

Your attacking creature was already going to be dealing its combat
damage to the blocking creature. Whether the blocking creature is
tapped or not at that time makes no difference. Similarly, the
blocking creature is going to deal combat damage to the attacking
creature, again not caring whether the attacking creature is tapped or
not (normally, attacking creatures are tapped when they deal their
damage, but Vigilance can change that.)

If there are some specific cards with damage-preventing abilities
that you had in mind, maybe we could look at what those cards are and
how they work?

--
-- zoe
Anonymous

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:03:23 +0200, cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>> You're very welcome! Please feel free to post again if you have any
>> more questions.
>>

>i have one more question...
>if i attack with my creature (let say it's a 2/2 creature) , and my opponent
>is blocking it with one of his artifact creatures, and i have a "voltaic
>construct: artifact creature, 2: untap target artifact creature".
>can i attack, wait for him to block, then pay 2 and untap his blocking
>artifact creature, and than have my attacking creature deal its combat
>damage???

Well... yes. But I see at LEAST two big misconceptions here:

1) Blocking with a creature DOES NOT CAUSE IT TO TAP in any way. It just
becomes a blocking creature, and generally stays untapped. Magic is not
Battletech or Yu-Gi-Oh.

2) Tapping or untapping a blocking (or attacking) creature DOES NOT REMOVE IT
FROM COMBAT in any way. Your attacker got blocked; untapping the blocker
does NOT "unblock" your attacker. (You're allowed to aim an "untap this"
_effect_ at an untapped creature if you want, though it will have No Visible
Effect on resolution.)

So your attacking creature will still assign, and deal, its combat damage to
the creature blocking it.

Dave
September 29, 2004 11:00:44 PM

ok, one more question...

if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is 5/2
trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.

if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3 crature,
do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2, is
1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
destroyed??
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:00:45 PM

"cemo" <cemo@rock.com> wrote in message news:cjepno$um2$1@ls219.htnet.hr...
> ok, one more question...
>
> if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is
5/2
> trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.

Right on.

> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3
crature,
> do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

You gain 5 life. An attacking creature always deals combat damage equal to
its power, no matter who or what it is dealing its damage to. Unless, of
course, there is an outside effect that limits damage. Assume, for this
example that no such enchantment, artifact or creature that has this ability
is in play.
Your 2/2 Grizzly Bears becomes a 5/2 Trample Grizzly Bears. Your opponent
blocks with a 3/3 Hill Giant. Next comes damage assignment. You assign 3
damage to the Hill Giant and 2 damage to the defending player. For 5 total
damage. Then you move on to the next step, which addresses your last
question:

> also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2,
is
> 1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
> destroyed??

Now, after you've assigned damage, assume no further effects. Damage
resolves - killing your equipped 5/2 Grizzly Bears and your opponent's 3/3
Hill Giant. Simultaneously, your opponent takes 2 trample damage. The damage
triggers the Loxodon Warhammer, and the creatures are sent to the graveyard.
The Warhammer's "gain life..." ability resolves, and you count up the damage
that was dealt by the equipped creature (in this case, 5). So you gain 5
life.

HTH.

--

KB

first initial last name AT gmail DOT com
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:00:45 PM

> ok, one more question...
>
> if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is
5/2
> trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.
>
> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3
crature,
> do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

Your creature will deal 5 damage, probably you will choose 3 to the
creature and then 2 trample damage to your opponent, so you will gain 5 life
from it.

> also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2,
is
> 1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
> destroyed??

Since it has trample, you can do the extra 1 damage to the defender. Of
course you can choose to put all 3 damage on the creature, if you are
worried he has a damage prevention spell or something like that. If it
didn't have trample, you would have to put all 3 damage on the creature. And
in all of those cases, you would gain 3 life from the Warhammer too.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:00:45 PM

cemo, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> ok, one more question...
>
> if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is 5/2
> trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.
>
> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3 crature,
> do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

5 life. Your creature dealt 5 damage, even if only three were needed to
destroy the blocker. (Actually, given that the Warhammer also gives
trample, all five points probably *did* do something useful - three to
the blocking creature, and two to the opponent. Of course, in this
scenario your attacking creature dies too.)

> also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2, is
> 1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
> destroyed??

You may choose to deal 1 damage to the opponent. As long as you assign
enough damage to the blocking creature to deal lethal damage to it
(defined as damage equal to its toughness minus any damage it has
already taken), you can assign the rest directly to the defending
player. In this case, two damage is enough to count as lethal damage, so
you can trample the remaining point over.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:00:45 PM

cemo <cemo@rock.com> sent:
> ok, one more question...

> if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is 5/2
> trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.

> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3 crature,
> do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

5 life. It doesn't matter that the attacking creature has trample, in
this case - the creature will always assign damage equal to its power,
regardless of the toughness of the creatures blocking. Trample just
lets you put some of that on the defending player if the conditions are
right. The only thing that will change the life you gain is if
something changes the amount of damage dealt, like by doubling it or
preventing some or all of it, for example.

> also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2, is
> 1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
> destroyed??

For trample, you may assign to the defending player any damage in
excess of lethal damage to the blocking creatures. So, in this case,
you have a choice. You can assign all 3 damage to the defending
creature, and it will die from that when it's dealt (3 damage >= 2
toughness) or you can assign 2 to the creature and 1 to defending
player, the creature will still die and 1 damage goes through to
defending player. At the same time, the 3 damage from the blocking
creature lands on the attacking creature and kills it.

--
-- zoe
Anonymous

cemo sez:

<<
>Echoing truth 1U
>instant
>return targer nonland permanent and all other permenents with the same name
>as that permenent to their owner's hands.
>
>imagine there are 6 creatures in play:
>neurok transmuter: creature- human wizard
>vedalken archmage:creature- vedalken wizard
>vedalken engineer: crature- vedalken artificer
>rust elemental: artifact creature- elemental
>arcbound stinger: artifact creature
>voltaic construct: artifact creature- golem
>
>can i name a "creature" when i play echoing truth?

You're misreading the Truth. You don't "name" anything with it. You target
one nonland permanent. That's all the choices you make.

Let's say there were 14 creatures in play: 4 Neurok Transmuters, 1 Vedalken
Archmage, 3 Vedalken Engineers, 2 Rust Elementals, 2 Arcbound Stingers, and 2
Voltaic Constructs. You can target any of those creatures, or any other
permanent that's not a land. When the Truth resolves, it will return that
permanent to its owners hand. Also, it will return any permanent with the same
NAME (as in "Neurok Transmuter", "Vedalken Archmage", etc.) as that permanent
to their owners' hands. So, let's say you target a Neurok Transmuter with the
Truth. When it resolves, it'll return that Transmuter and any other card named
Neurok Transmuter it can find in play to their owners' hands. So, you'd return
4 Neurok Transmuters this way...

----
If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
--The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:01:07 PM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:00:44 +0200, cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>ok, one more question...
>
>if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is 5/2
>trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.

Yes.

> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3 crature,
>do i gain 3 life or 5 life?

5 life; your 5/2 creature will assign, and deal, 5 damage to the 3/3
blocker (and it will assign and deal 3 damage to your 5/2 attacker). This
will cause both creatures to be lethally damaged, and die; then the triggered
ability from your creature will go on the stack, and later resolve and give
you 5 life.

Nothing in Magic says -anything- like "You can only ever deal 3 damage to
a creature with toughness 3"; it's perfectly legal to over-squash a creature
(or player), dealing more damage to it than it can survive.

>also, if attacking creature is 3/3 trample, and blocking creature is 3/2, is
>1 damage dealt to defending player or not, since attacking creature is
>destroyed??

The Trample damage is divided on assignment, and gets dealt later as it was
assigned. You may divide it so 2 is assigned to the blocker and 1 to defending
player, if you like; if you do, it's later dealt just like that. _THEN_ the
creatures are both destroyed (by a state-based effect); you don't destroy
them -before- the damage has been dealt, that wouldn't make sense. Then the
ability your attacker has from the Warhammer triggers, and resolves later on,
giving you three life. [If it said "whenever this creature deals damage to
a creature or player, ..." it would actually trigger twice, and give you 2
life and 1 life separately.]

Dave
September 30, 2004 4:40:05 PM

ok, a few more questions...
when i play a creature spell, that creature can't attack the turn it came
into play (unless it has haste).
my question is this: if a creature has tap abilities (for example: tap: add
1 mana to your mana pool) can i play this ability the turn it came into
play. if i can't play that ability the same turn, can i play it as an
instant on my opponents turn? can i play non-creature tap abilities the same
turn those cards come into play??
and my last question..
can i play non-tap abilities my creatures have (for example 2: untap target
artifact) the turn they come into play...
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:40:06 PM

"cemo" <cemo@rock.com> writes:
> when i play a creature spell, that creature can't attack the turn it came
> into play (unless it has haste).

That's correct.

> my question is this: if a creature has tap abilities (for example: tap: add
> 1 mana to your mana pool) can i play this ability the turn it came into
> play.

No (unless it has haste). However, this only applies to abilities on
creatures that have the tap symbol in the activation cost. Things
without a tap symbol can be played immediately.

> if i can't play that ability the same turn, can i play it as an
> instant on my opponents turn?

Nope (with the same qualifications).

> can i play non-creature tap abilities the same turn those cards come
> into play??

Yes. The most common case you might run into would be playing the
"{T}: Add <something> to your mana pool" on a land.

> and my last question.. can i play non-tap abilities my creatures
> have (for example 2: untap target artifact) the turn they come into
> play...

Yes.

Here's how it all works: IF a permanent (a thing in play) is (1) a
creature, (2) has not been under its current controller's control
since the beginning of his most recent turn, and (3) does not have
haste, THEN it (1) cannot attack, and (2) cannot use an activated
ability on it that has the tap symbol in the activation cost.

--
Peter C.
"General Use Only"

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:40:05 +0200, cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>ok, a few more questions...
>when i play a creature spell, that creature can't attack the turn it came
>into play (unless it has haste).

Right. It also can't use activated abilities it has with the Tap symbol in
their cost that turn, unless it has Haste. And, in fact, it can't do either of
these things until after it STARTS your turn under your control, so usually
it won't be able to do them next turn either.

>my question is this: if a creature has tap abilities (for example: tap: add
>1 mana to your mana pool) can i play this ability the turn it came into
>play.

No.

>if i can't play that ability the same turn, can i play it as an
>instant on my opponents turn?

And: no. You have to wait until it -starts- a turn of yours under your control,
before you're allowed to play activated abilities it has with the tap symbol
in the cost.

>can i play non-creature tap abilities the same
>turn those cards come into play??

Sure. Only creatures care whether they're "sick" or not; noncreatures don't
care.

>and my last question..
>can i play non-tap abilities my creatures have (for example 2: untap target
>artifact) the turn they come into play...

Yes, that's fine. You could also play "Tap two untapped Wizards you control:
Return target permanent to its owner's hand" while the creature it was on was
still 'sick' - that says "Tap", but doesn't have the tap _symbol_ in the
activation cost. (Nitpicky yes, but very important nitpickery.)

Dave
September 30, 2004 4:40:06 PM

"cemo" <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
> my question is this: if a creature has tap abilities (for example: tap: add
> 1 mana to your mana pool) can i play this ability the turn it came into
> play.

No. The rule applies not only to attacking, but to playing abilities
that have the tap symbol in the cost, like Spikeshot Goblin. The
creature can still be tapped for abilities with a tap cost, like Voice
of the Woods, as long as it's not the actual tap symbol.

>if i can't play that ability the same turn, can i play it as an
> instant on my opponents turn?

No. The creature will be "sick" unless you have controlled it since
the very beginning of your most recent turn (aside from Haste, of
course).

>can i play non-creature tap abilities the same
> turn those cards come into play??
> can i play non-tap abilities my creatures have (for example 2: untap target
> artifact) the turn they come into play...

Yes, you can.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 12:40:06 AM

On 30 Sep 2004 12:01:07 -0400, David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:00:44 +0200, cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>>if i equip my 2/2 creature with loxodon warhammer, now this creature is 5/2
>>trample and when it deals damage i gain life equal to damage dealt.
>
>Yes.
>
>> if i attack with this creature and my opponent blocks it with 3/3 crature,
>>do i gain 3 life or 5 life?
>
>5 life; your 5/2 creature will assign, and deal, 5 damage to the 3/3
>blocker (and it will assign and deal 3 damage to your 5/2 attacker).

Well, bleah, it also has Trample, Dave. So it will assign and deal 5 to the
3/3; or it will assign and deal 4 to the 3/3 and 1 to defender; or it will
assign and deal 3 to the 3/3 and 2 to defender. (You'll gain 5 life off of
any of these, of course.)

Dave