inspiron 600 - hey what gives? lousy image resolution

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I got an inspiron 600 as a gift. It'll cost $3000.

Yet image quality is lousy,icons on taskbars or toolbars and images on
the web look cracked and crumpled. I fiddled with display/performance
options but no fix.

I had an old and cheap laptop before but it had a little light over
the keyboard for when typing in the dark. This thing has none.

It's also very unhandy to pick up. There's not enough space underneath
to put your fingers, so you have to squeeze it from both sides with
your fingertips, and thus crush some drive and port on one side, and
some port and drive on the other.

And another just stupid, stupid thing: why is the cpu fan underneath?
If I put the laptop on a surface like a bed cover, the cpu can fry!

Is it too much to ask for $3000 to be able to take it to bed, to turn
off the lights and be able to type, and to see decent image quality?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My guess is you're running it at the wrong resolution. It can ONLY run at
its native, which is likely higher than you're running it.

Tom
"zorro" <myahact@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>I got an inspiron 600 as a gift. It'll cost $3000.
>
> Yet image quality is lousy,icons on taskbars or toolbars and images on
> the web look cracked and crumpled. I fiddled with display/performance
> options but no fix.
>
> I had an old and cheap laptop before but it had a little light over
> the keyboard for when typing in the dark. This thing has none.
>
> It's also very unhandy to pick up. There's not enough space underneath
> to put your fingers, so you have to squeeze it from both sides with
> your fingertips, and thus crush some drive and port on one side, and
> some port and drive on the other.
>
> And another just stupid, stupid thing: why is the cpu fan underneath?
> If I put the laptop on a surface like a bed cover, the cpu can fry!
>
> Is it too much to ask for $3000 to be able to take it to bed, to turn
> off the lights and be able to type, and to see decent image quality?

musty

"Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message
> My guess is you're running it at the wrong resolution. It can ONLY run at
> its native, which is likely higher than you're running it.
>
> Tom
> "zorro" <myahact@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> >I got an inspiron 600 as a gift. It'll cost $3000.
> >
> > Yet image quality is lousy,icons on taskbars or toolbars and images on
> > the web look cracked and crumpled. I fiddled with display/performance
> > options but no fix.
> >
> > I had an old and cheap laptop before but it had a little light over
> > the keyboard for when typing in the dark. This thing has none.
> >
> > It's also very unhandy to pick up. There's not enough space underneath
> > to put your fingers, so you have to squeeze it from both sides with
> > your fingertips, and thus crush some drive and port on one side, and
> > some port and drive on the other.
> >
> > And another just stupid, stupid thing: why is the cpu fan underneath?
> > If I put the laptop on a surface like a bed cover, the cpu can fry!
> >
> > Is it too much to ask for $3000 to be able to take it to bed, to turn
> > off the lights and be able to type, and to see decent image quality?

I agree. I have the Inspiron 600m /w SXGA+ (1400x1050) - if I run at lower
res (eg 1280x1024) it looks "blurry". You must run these at the "native"
resolution.

On a second note, how the heck did that Inspiron cost $3K?? I got mine for
$1050 it has following specs:

1.5GHz Pentium M
512MB DDR
30 GB HDD
SXGA+ 32MB
XP Pro
2 yr warranty
Bluetooth
802.11a/b/g

Retail on it was $1700. I got $1050 price with coupons. Still, how did you
manage such a high price???

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I do run it at the native resolution(1400x1050).
And if I try to change it I get a advising not to,
so that's not the problem. I have Mobility Radeon 9000 if
that's some indication.
It was $2500 can. but on a 3 year credit plan it comes out $3000.