Dragon tyrant.

Hello all,

I have this creature in play......

Dragon Tyrant

Color= Red Type= Creature - Dragon Cost= 8RR SC(R)
Text (SC): 6/6, Flying, Trample, Double Strike. ; At the beginning
of your upkeep, sacrifice ~this~ unless you pay {R}{R}{R}{R}. ; {R}: ~this~
gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

My opponent has this creature in play.
Abyssal Horror
Color= Black Type= Creature - Horror Cost= 4BB US(R)/ST(R)/7(R)
Text (7th): 2/2, Flying. ; When ~this~ comes into play, target
player discards two cards from his or her hand.

If I attack with my dragon, am i correct in saying this....

The dragon will deal 2 damage to the horror, and my opponent will take 4
damage(Trample).That is my choice.

now.. what I want to know is... does the horror leave combat and go to the
graveyard?
or does he stay... until the whole combat phase is over?

then my dragon goes in for the next 'strike phase' and deals my opponent 6,
my opponent taking 10 damage all together.

Information extracted from www.crystalkeep.com/magic all rights reserved to
the owner.... Respect Stephen D'Angelo

Thank you
Jonathan Fourie
Tournament organizer

Jonathan Fourie <jonathan@jonathan.za.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have this creature in play......
>
> Dragon Tyrant
>
> Color= Red Type= Creature - Dragon Cost= 8RR SC(R)
> Text (SC): 6/6, Flying, Trample, Double Strike. ; At the beginning
> of your upkeep, sacrifice ~this~ unless you pay {R}{R}{R}{R}. ; {R}: ~this~
> gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
>
> My opponent has this creature in play.
> Abyssal Horror
> Color= Black Type= Creature - Horror Cost= 4BB US(R)/ST(R)/7(R)
> Text (7th): 2/2, Flying. ; When ~this~ comes into play, target
> player discards two cards from his or her hand.
>

> If I attack with my dragon, am i correct in saying this....
>
> The dragon will deal 2 damage to the horror, and my opponent will take 4
> damage(Trample).That is my choice.
>
> now.. what I want to know is... does the horror leave combat and go to the
> graveyard?
> or does he stay... until the whole combat phase is over?

Why would he stay? He has lethal damage.

310.4. Combat damage resolves as an object on the stack. When it
resolves, it's all dealt at once, as originally assigned. After combat
damage finishes resolving, the active player gets priority.

420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, "Timing of
Spells and Abilities"), the game checks for any of the listed conditions
for state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single
event, then the check is repeated. Once no more state-based effects have
been generated, triggered abilities go on the stack, and then the
appropriate player gets priority. This check is also made during the
cleanup step (see rule 314); if any of the listed conditions apply, the
active player receives priority.

420.5. The state-based effects are as follows:

420.5c A creature with lethal damage, but greater than 0 toughness, is
destroyed. Lethal damage is an amount of damage greater than or equal to
a creature's toughness. Regeneration can replace this event.

> then my dragon goes in for the next 'strike phase' and deals my opponent 6,
> my opponent taking 10 damage all together.

Yes. No choice there, since there is no blocking creature at the start
of the second combat damage STEP.

502.9c If all the creatures blocking an attacking creature with trample
are removed from combat before the combat damage step, all its damage is
assigned to the defending player.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Jonathan Fourie, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Hello all,
>
> I have this creature in play......
>
> Dragon Tyrant
>
> Color= Red Type= Creature - Dragon Cost= 8RR SC(R)
> Text (SC): 6/6, Flying, Trample, Double Strike. ; At the beginning
> of your upkeep, sacrifice ~this~ unless you pay {R}{R}{R}{R}. ; {R}: ~this~
> gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
>
> My opponent has this creature in play.
> Abyssal Horror
> Color= Black Type= Creature - Horror Cost= 4BB US(R)/ST(R)/7(R)
> Text (7th): 2/2, Flying. ; When ~this~ comes into play, target
> player discards two cards from his or her hand.
>

> If I attack with my dragon, am i correct in saying this....
>
> The dragon will deal 2 damage to the horror, and my opponent will take 4
> damage(Trample).That is my choice.
>
> now.. what I want to know is... does the horror leave combat and go to the
> graveyard?
> or does he stay... until the whole combat phase is over?

It dies.

(If it stayed, what would be the point of First Strike?)

> then my dragon goes in for the next 'strike phase' and deals my opponent 6,
> my opponent taking 10 damage all together.

That's correct. (Maybe more, if you use the Dragon's activated ability
to raise its power.)

--
Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

Jonathan Fourie <jonathan@jonathan.za.net> wrote:
>I have this creature in play......
>
>Dragon Tyrant 8RR Creature - Dragon
>6/6 Flying, Trample, Double Strike. At the beginning of your upkeep,
> sacrifice ~this~ unless you pay RRRR. / R: ~this~ gets +1/+0 until end of
> turn.
>
>My opponent has this creature in play.
>Abyssal Horror 4BB Creature - Horror
>2/2 Flying. When ~this~ comes into play, target player discards two cards
> from his or her hand.
>
>If I attack with my dragon, am i correct in saying this....
>
>The dragon will deal 2 damage to the horror, and my opponent will take 4
>damage(Trample).That is my choice.

The Dragon will assign (and deal) at -least- two damage to the Horror;
opponent will be assigned (and dealt) the remainder. It's your choice how
much to assign to the Horror, except that you have to assign at least 2 to it
in order to assign any to opponent.

>now.. what I want to know is... does the horror leave combat and go to the
>graveyard?
>or does he stay... until the whole combat phase is over?

The Horror will die, being lethally damaged, right after combat damage resolves
- this is a state-based effect (like losing from being at 0 or less life, or
losing from drawing off an empty library). The Dragon will live, with 2 damage
on it and 6 toughness, it's not lethally damaged.

And this happens in first-strike combat-damage step, by the way.

>then my dragon goes in for the next 'strike phase' and deals my opponent 6,
>my opponent taking 10 damage all together.

Right, _because_ it has Trample. (If it didn't have Trample, it would not have
anywhere legal to assign damage on the second combat-damage step, since it's
still blocked but has no blocker left.)

Dave

TRENDING THREADS