jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’m off to a rocky start with the 9800 p. I uninstalled my Nv driver, Detonator Destroyer wouldn’t work, also says no support for WinXP. I went into my BIOS and lowered the setting (overclock). Notice a 1.5 Volt for AGP card, umm no clue there. First I tried installing the card manule, then I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Which is Catalyst 3.5.

Also went into Smartgart and shut off fast write, lowered the 8X to 4X, went into OpenGL shut off Vsync and change a few other setting, which didn’t help.

The problem is when I play a game’ss there are a bunch of squares all over the monitor, is pretty screwed up. Same with movies, music I get a bunch of squares, even shows up on the windows xp start up screen.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 07/11/03 08:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
guess i'll try fomatting :(

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

eden

Champion
Hmm was it some chessboard effect perhaps?
Could be heat or even PSU related. Card would display artifacts only with overheating.

Try formatting indeed, best of luck.
Have your BIOS updated too, might help.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Holley chessboard effect, sounds about right. Guess it's time to turn the low speed fans up;)PSU 460 Enermax. Windows is loaded just going to install DX9

Thanks

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault

eden

Champion
Well I can only think of the fact the 9800PRO 256MB edition IS quite hot, compared to its lovely sibling.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
It doesn't feel to hot. I loaded all the drivers, then loaded the driver off the CD, which brought on a BSOD. So I uninstalled tham, and loaded the latest drivers, but still no luck. Now I have a light green lines going up the middle of the monitor. And when I start to play GTA3 parts of the guy is missing.

When I have a problem with ATI's drivers, I assume it's their fault. When I have a problem with nVidia's drivers, I assume it's my fault<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 07/11/03 10:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Alrighty then. I am just about ready to return this card, that's if I can. I got it at newegg. One minute their sight says No refund Will only echange for another one, I beleive!! Now it doesn't say that. I'll give a couple more days, before I fight like h3lllll to get a refund or echange for a FX card....

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
hehehehehhe so in the end you're still gonna get a GeForce FX 5900Ultra lol~~~~~ WELCOME BACK and u should still consider the 128mb version because the HSFs of the 128mb version cards are custom made by OEMs not cheapass nVidia ones~~~

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if i had the money and if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm on it like flies on sh*t, though I'm running out of ideals, but I won't sleep, I won't eat, I won't socialize, until I get to the bottom of it. I'm going to try another PC next.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://schwippy.com/loader/uploaded/untitled.jpg" target="_new">if it wasn't for the checker board affect!!</A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
This has absolutely nothing to do with ATI's drivers. You either have a bad card, or your power supply can't handle the load or you're overheating.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'll believe a bad card. I have a Enermax 430 or 460W, and two fans. Should I brake out the turbo fans? :wink: As for drivers, it doesn't seem to do that, until I load a driver. The same thing happen in another system. I'm thinking I'll try under-clocking the card.

eden

Champion
You tried on another friend's system?
If so, it's the card, for SURE. It happens, a black sheep of the batch.

--

Actually you might want to head to the Rage3D forums there may be a simple solution that those of us with lower model cards don't encounter.
It may be a bad sample.

For the banding and green lines I would have thought it might be EMF interference, a few people including Genetic have had that problem before and suggested changing the refresh rate, and that solved THAT problem, however the checkerboard, I have no idea.
I have seen it mentioned on a bunch of cards/games at various sites, but as it never happened to me I never really payed attention, sorry. I do remember this being a BIG issue for people trying to mod a 9500NP to a 9700P, but that's all.

I found a few mentions of this from some of the old links.

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=4d4690634c69374163fa4e059e4785b8&threadid=33684238&highlight=checkerboard+9800" target="_new">Here's a mention of the same problem with a SOFT-MOD card at Rage3D</A>

<A HREF="http://www.veritest.com/bi/cont1998/1998print/nvidia.asp?visitor=X" target="_new">An Article responding to a Suggested Nvidia 'cheat' that actually turns out to be Cherboard pattern recognition (may help supress these kind of artifacts)</A>

<A HREF="http://macfaq.org/hardware/graphics.shtml" target="_new">even happens on MACs</A>

<A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109061,00.asp" target="_new">GF4ti Checkboard and pink Screens</A>

<A HREF="http://www.warp2search.net/print.php?sid=8444" target="_new">Mention of it as a resolution of a TRIBES checkerboard pattern for CAT 2.4 driver release</A>

So it looks like it could be alot of things, and also looks like it happens to alot of cards. I would try other versions of the drivers, turn up your fans (for testing purposes why not? Easy to return to normal), and try different refresh rates. Yes I doubt it it your PSU (although how much stuff is running on it, just saying it's an Enermax 465 (I have one on my dual proc rig here) doesn't mean it's not stressed if it's hooked up to too much stuff, although granted it's unlikely that if it's a normal setup. The other thing is does this (checkerboard) ONLY happen in GTA3? The other issues may be other issues.
Have you done a Google search?

Anywhoo that's it for my sugestions/info.

Good luck!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
No I have three PCs and a lot of parts :wink:

Yeah the same thing happen on the other PC, which has W2k. There must of been some reason I decided to make an Image before I started fooling around with the card.

Thing is now, do I get another one, or try to get another card all together? I'm thinking I rather be a nvidiot, at least I'll have a working card. The AA/AF was looking pretty good and fast, so it's a shame :( I suppose I'll run my Image with the GF4 back in, and load the SoFII game and play it before I ship out the card.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Cool thanks, I'll check that over. Maybe there is still a chance.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks again for taking the time trying to help me out.

It's time to put the card back into the box.

eden

Champion
Don't give up now though, a bad sample doesn't represent at all the gang.
If it did the same on another PC, you can bet that blaming ATi is only foolishness (not saying you did that). What brand was it, BBA ATi?

Oh and save yourself by trying some other 9800PROs, don't do the switch too early to an FX5900, it may itself be an unstable card given nVidia's recent driver troubles.

--

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-102-290&refer=pricewatch" target="_new">ATI SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 256MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL</A> The card is Already $10 cheaper, and what I don’t get right on top they said <font color=blue>**This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!**</font color=blue>, but now that message isn’t there. Wonder if that means I can get a refund??

The only thing that I was impressed with the card is the speed while AA/AF was on, but at the same time I wonder if it’s worth it. It seems like you should count you lucky stars if you don’t have any problems. It would be nice to have a card, and install the driver and be on my way.

I first have to see what my options are to returning this card.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Well it isn’t Monday yet, so I popped the 9800p back in real quick. I was testing Direct 3D in DX Tools and notice test 7-8 had fault. I seen the spinning box, but two sides of the box were missing. Hmm, mean anything to anyone? I tried changing some setting in Direct 3D, but no luck, even tried re-installing DX.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
u should just try to RMA the card first

120% nVidia Fanboy
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if i had the money and if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
It's either that or pay $74 for stocking fees. grrrr

eden

Champion
This may seem far-off, but sometimes, it shows me how much ordering cards online is bad. Not only is it hard to return it (especially an ATi card's reliability), but you get little time to get a refund in case you had trouble, PLUS the service is far away.

That is why I choose to buy a video card or any hardware from my local shop. Still sweet prices, no hassles. I recommend, if you get a refund, to buy one from the local area.
Now, say you did get a refund and paid this stocking fee, that still leaves you with the option to buy locally a cheaper 128MB version, and still have some money left in your pocket. I bet that would solve it all.

--

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
well ur lucky u have a sweet priced retailer shop. FutureShop has the bigest ripoffs for computer parts in the history of mankind

120% nVidia Fanboy