Windows Explorer Search Issue

March 7, 2005 7:11:02 AM

Having issues with windows explorer. When first opened, it's fine, but when
I click on "My Computer," it starts flashing and in the status bar it states
"searching for items." How do I get windows explorer back to it's original
state without the flashing?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:41:23 AM

Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;819017

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:578DE9FE-395A-4D2F-B2A8-77AA18C992DC@microsoft.com...
> Having issues with windows explorer. When first opened, it's fine, but when
> I click on "My Computer," it starts flashing and in the status bar it states
> "searching for items." How do I get windows explorer back to it's original
> state without the flashing?
March 9, 2005 7:03:10 AM

I am not having the flashlight issue. All of my files, etc. appear instantly
when I open windows explorer. It's just that when I click on the hard drive
to navigate somewhere the whole screen starts flashing and the message at
the bottom of the screen alternates between how many items are on the drive
and "searching for iterms." If I try to select multiple items in a folder,
as soon as the screen flashes, it removes the selection and refreshes.
March 9, 2005 10:06:56 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

--

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7626922B-3F7D-4A6F-AEFE-5E5FD63C0D8E@microsoft.com...
>I am not having the flashlight issue. All of my files, etc. appear instantly
> when I open windows explorer. It's just that when I click on the hard drive
> to navigate somewhere the whole screen starts flashing and the message at
> the bottom of the screen alternates between how many items are on the drive
> and "searching for iterms." If I try to select multiple items in a folder,
> as soon as the screen flashes, it removes the selection and refreshes.
March 9, 2005 10:47:02 PM

I have tried this repair. Windows explorer is still having the same issue.
Have even tried to boot in safe mode and have gone back to a previous
restoration point . None of these had any effect on the windows explorer
issue.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:56:40 AM

Run an Upgrade setup. If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2
installed, it might go into a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that
lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
(Preinstalled versions have their own individual "Recovery" disks)
--

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:542AAE65-EA17-4D93-8C2A-1DD428E1DE39@microsoft.com...

> I have tried this repair. Windows explorer is still having the same issue.
> Have even tried to boot in safe mode and have gone back to a previous
> restoration point . None of these had any effect on the windows explorer
> issue.
>
> Any suggestions?
March 19, 2005 11:13:02 AM

Thanks for your help Mark. This turned out to be an issue with a program
called GraphView32, which installed an image folder that continuously looks
for graphic type files. By uninstalling this program, the issue went away.

Thanks again!

!