Files and settings transfer wizard problem

hi
I am having a problem after using the files and settings transfer wizard in
sp2. I backed up apporximately 120gb of files and settings onto a new 160gb
HD. I formated my old 160gb windows drive, re-installed windows and attempted
to restore the files and settings from the new HD. It restored about 30% of
my stuff. Most of my settings are correct but the vast majority of my files
are not on my machine. I have tried several times and its always the same
result. It says at the end of the process that 'the follwing files could not
be returned to their original location and must be returned manually'. I
think it then tries to unpack what it couldnt put back in its orignal
location on to the drive where the backup data is located it then cannot
unpack all of the stuff onto that drive because it runs out of space. What i
need to know is if anyone has an idea of a way i can either unpack the 2gb
..dat files windows creates individually or be able to see whats in them and
possibly delete some. Or if there is a way to put it all on to some form of
storage large enough to allow it to put all the unpacked data on the same
drive as the packed data. Or perhaps a solution that will allow the data to
unpack properly in the first place. I have tried downloading the FASTconv
program and i cant get it to run. Would It work if i backed all the 2gb
IMG.dat files to DVD and did it that way? How can i get the wizard to dump
the data it wont put in the correct loaction on the other drive? Its such an
infuriating problem as i know all my stuff is still there its just in a
compressed format. Thanks for your time,

someone please help me.

I have had a bit more success now, i have managed to get FASTconv to run. But
now i'm really stuck with it. I dont have enough temp space to unpack all the
data. If anyone has any experience of this program i wuld really appreciate
some help. I have tried unpacking a few 2gb segments individually and that
just seems to unpack varying sizes of .dat files into my destination folder.
They look like they may be my files though. Does anyone know the command line
nessecary to unpack individual segments properly?

"Jam" wrote:

> hi
> I am having a problem after using the files and settings transfer wizard in
> sp2. I backed up apporximately 120gb of files and settings onto a new 160gb
> HD. I formated my old 160gb windows drive, re-installed windows and attempted
> to restore the files and settings from the new HD. It restored about 30% of
> my stuff. Most of my settings are correct but the vast majority of my files
> are not on my machine. I have tried several times and its always the same
> result. It says at the end of the process that 'the follwing files could not
> be returned to their original location and must be returned manually'. I
> think it then tries to unpack what it couldnt put back in its orignal
> location on to the drive where the backup data is located it then cannot
> unpack all of the stuff onto that drive because it runs out of space. What i
> need to know is if anyone has an idea of a way i can either unpack the 2gb
> .dat files windows creates individually or be able to see whats in them and
> possibly delete some. Or if there is a way to put it all on to some form of
> storage large enough to allow it to put all the unpacked data on the same
> drive as the packed data. Or perhaps a solution that will allow the data to
> unpack properly in the first place. I have tried downloading the FASTconv
> program and i cant get it to run. Would It work if i backed all the 2gb
> IMG.dat files to DVD and did it that way? How can i get the wizard to dump
> the data it wont put in the correct loaction on the other drive? Its such an
> infuriating problem as i know all my stuff is still there its just in a
> compressed format. Thanks for your time,
>
> someone please help me.

I have had a bit more success now. I have manged to get FASTconv to run. But
i dont have enough temp space to unpack all the files. I have tried unpacking
a few of the 2gb segments individually and that just seems to unpack
everything into the dest folder as .dat files again. These .dat files are all
of varying size some that could easily be the files i packed. If anyone knows
the command line to get an individual pack to unpack properly that would be a
great help, also if anyone has any experience of FASTconv in general that
would also be a great help. I have lost about 6years worth of photos and
other important docs, so i dont really want to give up so easily. So PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE help.

"Jam" wrote:

> hi
> I am having a problem after using the files and settings transfer wizard in
> sp2. I backed up apporximately 120gb of files and settings onto a new 160gb
> HD. I formated my old 160gb windows drive, re-installed windows and attempted
> to restore the files and settings from the new HD. It restored about 30% of
> my stuff. Most of my settings are correct but the vast majority of my files
> are not on my machine. I have tried several times and its always the same
> result. It says at the end of the process that 'the follwing files could not
> be returned to their original location and must be returned manually'. I
> think it then tries to unpack what it couldnt put back in its orignal
> location on to the drive where the backup data is located it then cannot
> unpack all of the stuff onto that drive because it runs out of space. What i
> need to know is if anyone has an idea of a way i can either unpack the 2gb
> .dat files windows creates individually or be able to see whats in them and
> possibly delete some. Or if there is a way to put it all on to some form of
> storage large enough to allow it to put all the unpacked data on the same
> drive as the packed data. Or perhaps a solution that will allow the data to
> unpack properly in the first place. I have tried downloading the FASTconv
> program and i cant get it to run. Would It work if i backed all the 2gb
> IMG.dat files to DVD and did it that way? How can i get the wizard to dump
> the data it wont put in the correct loaction on the other drive? Its such an
> infuriating problem as i know all my stuff is still there its just in a
> compressed format. Thanks for your time,
>
> someone please help me.

TRENDING THREADS