Windows XP shuts down abruptly

Hi,

My windows xp has been shutting down and rebooting on it's own and is
starting to do this quite often. It will work for a while and then reboots..
Any ideas about what this can be and how i can troubleshoot?

Hi

If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots,
you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from the
BSOD?

Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
refer to the problem.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Softball Dad" <Softball Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My windows xp has been shutting down and rebooting on it's own and is
> starting to do this quite often. It will work for a while and then
> reboots..
> Any ideas about what this can be and how i can troubleshoot?

thanks you i will try this tonight.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
> Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
> Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots,
> you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from the
> BSOD?
>
> Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
> refer to the problem.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "Softball Dad" <Softball Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My windows xp has been shutting down and rebooting on it's own and is
> > starting to do this quite often. It will work for a while and then
> > reboots..
> > Any ideas about what this can be and how i can troubleshoot?

Gawfshot

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
My machine was only shutting down - not re-starting.
I had to hold the power button for 30 seconds, then re insert the battery and connect the power supply - in that order.
THEN I tried disabling Auto Restart as outlined here.
I wanted to access the stop code.
NOW I can,t restart at all.
(I've tried connecting the PS then battery. No change)
Ideas?
Thanks.