Activate windows cannot run because local scripting has be..

I have a machine with Xp Home on it. After removing some spyware the computer
would no longer run many program instalations. Installing NAV2005 for example
it would get stuck on the first screen of the installation saying that "Your
current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page".

After a lot of searching I tried a lot of things, but I didnt find anything
on the net or the MS knowledge base that would help. I then reinstalled XP
with the repair option. Now I am even more stuck as it wants to activate
windows before it will let me login. The problem is that when I click Yes (i
want to activate now). I get an error message "Activate windows cannot run
because local scripting has been disabled on this computer". And, if I click
No, then it doesnt let me login either.

It seems to me the activex errors I had before the reinstalltion and this
new scripting one are probably related

I am still able to login in safe mode, but I cant find what is causing this
"scripting" problem. I can find settings in internet explorer about allowing
scripting and activex, but changing these seems to have no effect.

Can anyone help please with what I have to do to fix this? Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about activate windows local scripting

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    To disable the SP2 warning for running activeX on a local computer page, go to : IE, Tools menu, Options, Advanced Tab, -- scroll
    down to the Security area, check the box for, "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:162BC531-1F7F-4AAB-A464-285CFB54429D@microsoft.com...
    >I have a machine with Xp Home on it. After removing some spyware the computer
    > would no longer run many program instalations. Installing NAV2005 for example
    > it would get stuck on the first screen of the installation saying that "Your
    > current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page".
    >
    > After a lot of searching I tried a lot of things, but I didnt find anything
    > on the net or the MS knowledge base that would help. I then reinstalled XP
    > with the repair option. Now I am even more stuck as it wants to activate
    > windows before it will let me login. The problem is that when I click Yes (i
    > want to activate now). I get an error message "Activate windows cannot run
    > because local scripting has been disabled on this computer". And, if I click
    > No, then it doesnt let me login either.
    >
    > It seems to me the activex errors I had before the reinstalltion and this
    > new scripting one are probably related
    >
    > I am still able to login in safe mode, but I cant find what is causing this
    > "scripting" problem. I can find settings in internet explorer about allowing
    > scripting and activex, but changing these seems to have no effect.
    >
    > Can anyone help please with what I have to do to fix this? Thanks

    Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, but I am not able to run the SFC
    in safe mode. I get the following error message:

    “Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files
    The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC sever is unavailable.].�

    Is there any other way around this problem?

    thanks

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > To disable the SP2 warning for running activeX on a local computer page, go to : IE, Tools menu, Options, Advanced Tab, -- scroll
    > down to the Security area, check the box for, "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..

    In safe mode, open regedit to

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings]

    see if you have any entries other than:

    "DisplayLogo"="1"
    "ActiveDebugging"="1"
    "SilentTerminate"="0"
    "UseWINSAFER"="1"

    set any others to zero.
    --

    "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0148B706-08B0-49A4-959B-08EA907FF000@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, but I am not able to run the SFC
    > in safe mode. I get the following error message:
    >
    > "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files
    > The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC sever is unavailable.]."
    >
    > Is there any other way around this problem?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW
    >>
    >> To disable the SP2 warning for running activeX on a local computer page, go to : IE, Tools menu, Options, Advanced Tab, -- scroll
    >> down to the Security area, check the box for, "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer"
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..

    There were no other entries apart from the ones you listed, and they already
    had the same values as your example

    On the advice of another person Ive uninstalled and reinstalled an older
    version of Java virtual machine (JVM), but that hasnt fixed anything either

    Have you any other ideas that might work?

    reinstall Windows Script 5.6: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp?frame=true

    --

    "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C8A48EF-70AD-4823-B65F-AB85C9578173@microsoft.com...
    > There were no other entries apart from the ones you listed, and they already
    > had the same values as your example
    >
    > On the advice of another person Ive uninstalled and reinstalled an older
    > version of Java virtual machine (JVM), but that hasnt fixed anything either
    >
    > Have you any other ideas that might work?
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> In safe mode, open regedit to
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings]
    >>
    >> see if you have any entries other than:
    >>
    >> "DisplayLogo"="1"
    >> "ActiveDebugging"="1"
    >> "SilentTerminate"="0"
    >> "UseWINSAFER"="1"
    >>
    >> set any others to zero.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0148B706-08B0-49A4-959B-08EA907FF000@microsoft.com...
    >> > Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, but I am not able to run the SFC
    >> > in safe mode. I get the following error message:
    >> >
    >> > "Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files
    >> > The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC sever is unavailable.]."
    >> >
    >> > Is there any other way around this problem?
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    That sounded promising, but unfortunately there was no change after the
    install. I still get exactly the same errors and cant activate XP

    I am starting to think I will have to wipe the computer completely and
    reinstall from scratch to get it working again, or do you think there might
    still be a solution to this?

    Ive run out of ideas myself. I think I will try another repair install and
    see if that does anything

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > reinstall Windows Script 5.6: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp?frame=true

    Go to start/run, and type
    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    OK,
    then,
    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

    --

    "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8A0B857-3F97-4507-BCD0-7F4720B5B717@microsoft.com...
    > That sounded promising, but unfortunately there was no change after the
    > install. I still get exactly the same errors and cant activate XP
    >
    > I am starting to think I will have to wipe the computer completely and
    > reinstall from scratch to get it working again, or do you think there might
    > still be a solution to this?
    >
    > Ive run out of ideas myself. I think I will try another repair install and
    > see if that does anything
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> reinstall Windows Script 5.6: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp?frame=true

    I ran those 2 commands, but I still get the same error messages unfortunately

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Go to start/run, and type
    > regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    > OK,
    > then,
    > regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8A0B857-3F97-4507-BCD0-7F4720B5B717@microsoft.com...
    > > That sounded promising, but unfortunately there was no change after the
    > > install. I still get exactly the same errors and cant activate XP
    > >
    > > I am starting to think I will have to wipe the computer completely and
    > > reinstall from scratch to get it working again, or do you think there might
    > > still be a solution to this?
    > >
    > > Ive run out of ideas myself. I think I will try another repair install and
    > > see if that does anything
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> reinstall Windows Script 5.6: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp?frame=true

    If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    --

    "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212210A3-4FE0-482E-87B9-5C2945603637@microsoft.com...
    >I ran those 2 commands, but I still get the same error messages unfortunately
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to start/run, and type
    >> regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    >> OK,
    >> then,
    >> regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8A0B857-3F97-4507-BCD0-7F4720B5B717@microsoft.com...
    >> > That sounded promising, but unfortunately there was no change after the
    >> > install. I still get exactly the same errors and cant activate XP
    >> >
    >> > I am starting to think I will have to wipe the computer completely and
    >> > reinstall from scratch to get it working again, or do you think there might
    >> > still be a solution to this?
    >> >
    >> > Ive run out of ideas myself. I think I will try another repair install and
    >> > see if that does anything

    Thanks for all your help, but I had to give up and started on a fresh install
    this morning. Due to time constraints I couldnt mess around trying to fix it
    any longer

    Thanks again

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    > a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    > 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Xerai" <Xerai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212210A3-4FE0-482E-87B9-5C2945603637@microsoft.com...
    > >I ran those 2 commands, but I still get the same error messages unfortunately
    > >
    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Go to start/run, and type
    > >> regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    > >> OK,