XP ICS??? this is difficult!

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Hi,
i hope you can help me with this one because its had be stuck for months now.

i have 2 computers, both xp Pro. one has the internet conection (adsl, PPPoE connection), and id like the other machine to share this connection. the connection works fine on the 'server' computer, which as 2 network cards (one hooked into the adsl modem, and one used to network the 2 machines). the 2 computer lan works for file sharing, and ive set the 'server' computer to share the connection using ICS. this is no problem.

the client ocmputer recognises the ics sharing, and displays the internet gateway from the other computer as up running in the Network Connections window.

the client compuyer does not have PPPoe protocol installed, just the usual tcpIP and the 3 other ones. the server has PPPOE (for the adsl) and the other usual ones, nothing strange here.

however, the client cannot connect to any sites at all and cannot ping any sites either. the file sharing continues to work.

i had this setup working fine when the server was win2000, and client the same XP pro. now when the server is upgraded to xp, ICS stops working.

Can anyone provide any advice?? ive gone through MANY ics guides on the internet, and done exactly what is said, so i assume it is something to do with the PPPoe protocol.

(I am using RasPPPoE, not the built in pppoe that comes with winxap. the pppoe from XP was greyed out as a choice, and i was advised to install and use RASPPPoe instead for the connection.)

many thanks,

john.

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
yeah, this is an option, but for something that should work without me having to pay out more money, seems frustrating :-(

there seems to be big issues with ICS and XP. i dont have SP1 - is this known to help???

After much toying around, I was able to set up 2 machines with ICS... one with XP Pro and 2 NICs and the second a Windows 2000 machine.

Make sure your client machine has a static IP address. ICS will want to set the IP of the NIC sharing the connection to 192.168.0.1. I suggest doing the same for the client (only with a different IP of course) and for the other NIC on the server. Once that is done, tell the client to use 192.168.0.1 as it's DNS server... that should get you going. You may also have to enter that IP for the Gateway... but I'm not absolutely sure on that one.

Hope this helps! :smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

I forgot to mention, the XP machine had SP1 installed, but you shouldn't need to install it to get this working. Also I'm using the built-in PPPoE client with XP, but again you should be able to follow the same steps using RASPPPoE.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
thanks zoron,

ill give this a crack later today and see what happens. im not all up on networking, but ill see what can go wrong :)

many thanks,

john.