peter

Well, the cards have been officially "out" for a few days now, but the
Oracle and Rules are still not updated on site, at least as of 7:30
this morning.

Anyone know when they are planning to make the updates?
Thanks!
Peter

On 4 Oct 2004 06:00:38 -0700, Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Well, the cards have been officially "out" for a few days now, but the
>Oracle and Rules are still not updated on site, at least as of 7:30
>this morning.
>
>Anyone know when they are planning to make the updates?

John Carter has been poked about this; the full-Oracle update _ought_ to
be done soon. (For the "where's the Champions file on the Oracle webpage?"
questions, I'm told you need to check out Gatherer, gatherer.wizards.com ...)

Dave

Hello, David!
You wrote on 4 Oct 2004 15:40:01 -0400:

DD> On 4 Oct 2004 06:00:38 -0700, Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com>
DD> wrote:
DD> John Carter has been poked about this; the full-Oracle update
DD> _ought_ to
DD> be done soon. (For the "where's the Champions file on the Oracle
DD> webpage?"
DD> questions, I'm told you need to check out Gatherer,
DD> gatherer.wizards.com ...)

In fact, you can generate a full Oracle text with gatherer: select
"Champions of Kamigawa" instead of "All Sets" and "Oracle spoiler view"
instead of "Summary view" and press "Search". The result is devoid of
curly brackets (denoting tap and mana symbols) but otherwise good.

Regards,
Arkady.

Peter, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> Well, the cards have been officially "out" for a few days now, but the
> Oracle and Rules are still not updated on site, at least as of 7:30
> this morning.
>
> Anyone know when they are planning to make the updates?
> Thanks!
> Peter

Also, I happened to notice that the DCI site doesn't have Champions
checklists (for Limited tournaments) yet.

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:42:36 -0400, Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>DD> John Carter has been poked about this; the full-Oracle update _ought_ to
>DD> be done soon. (For the "where's the Champions file on the Oracle
>DD> webpage?" questions, I'm told you need to check out Gatherer,
>DD> gatherer.wizards.com ...)
>
>In fact, you can generate a full Oracle text with gatherer: select
>"Champions of Kamigawa" instead of "All Sets" and "Oracle spoiler view"
>instead of "Summary view" and press "Search". The result is devoid of
>curly brackets (denoting tap and mana symbols) but otherwise good.

Well, it's also got Extra Line Breaks at what seem to be random points between
abilities. And it will take some time to pull up the _full_ Oracle if you
want to do that - don't despair, it'll eventually show it all. But they did
manage to put Knight of Dawn back in (it was missing for a while a week and a
half ago...), so that's good. [Random-guy came into the store and asked about
it because he wanted to buy it; we had one in the Tempest book, but I had first
gone to try to see what set it was in, and presto, it wasn't findable in
Gatherer at -all-...]

I've suggested that they might still want to have, say, a pagefull of buttons
below Gatherer, each button linked to a 'standard search' that gave as output
one entire set. So far they seem to not want to do that...

Dave

peter

dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote in message news:<slrncm4kap.fkj.dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com>...
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:42:36 -0400, Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, it's also got Extra Line Breaks at what seem to be random points between
> abilities.

This is a *bad thing* in my (computer-programming) opinion. The
spoiler lists have traditionally been relatively randomly line-broken,
but they finally(?) cleaned up the oracle, so each card-rule line is a
separate text line in the oracle. That's good. If Gather undoes
this, that's annoying.

> And it will take some time to pull up the _full_ Oracle if you
> want to do that - don't despair, it'll eventually show it all.

This could be a problem too. Although I suppose once I get it, I've
got it.

> But they did
> manage to put Knight of Dawn back in (it was missing for a while a week and a
> half ago...), so that's good. [Random-guy came into the store and asked about
> it because he wanted to buy it; we had one in the Tempest book, but I had first
> gone to try to see what set it was in, and presto, it wasn't findable in
> Gatherer at -all-...]

Not that this couldn't happen with the oracle-documents, but that's a
little worrisome too.

One other thing I like about the Oracle pages is that they are
*released*. That is, I can download the 10-1-2004 pages and compare
to the 6-1-2004 pages. I can see what's changed, and when it came
into effect. I can look back through the old pages I have to see when
something changed.

With Gather as the only source, this historical demarcation is lost.
Not a big deal, but I wouldn't want to be staring at my printed Oracle
sheets and arguing a point, only to discover that at some point, they
made a slight update to the Oracle and I didn't know it.

Finally, Gather doesn't have rules. We need the rule updates as well.
I'm particularly interested to see how they hand the Shrine
endorsement type.

On the good side, I like that you can look up all different scans
(including the ones with multiple images per set) for a card. That's
nice. And I have used it several times myself, to look up things.

So, I like it as a tool, but I also like the historical value of
'versions' of the Oracle and rules.

My 2c, so far.
Peter

knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
> Finally, Gather doesn't have rules. We need the rule updates as well.

Rune posted on the JudgeList today that the new Oct. 1 Rules are up at
<http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules>.

He also said that the new Full Oracle as a document should be
available "soon". (And he put it in quotation marks, too.)

His original posting is archived at:
<http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0410a&L=dcijudge-l&F=&S=&P=645>

--
Peter C.
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney) wrote:
>> But they did
>> manage to put Knight of Dawn back in (it was missing for a while a week and a
>> half ago...), so that's good. [Random-guy came into the store and asked about
>> it because he wanted to buy it; we had one in the Tempest book, but I had
>> first gone to try to see what set it was in, and presto, it wasn't findable
>> in Gatherer at -all-...]
>
>Not that this couldn't happen with the oracle-documents, but that's a
>little worrisome too.

Tell me ab out it - I no longer have TIME to go through Oracle card by card
these days, or even skim it expansion by expansion, looking for errors...

>One other thing I like about the Oracle pages is that they are
>*released*. That is, I can download the 10-1-2004 pages and compare
>to the 6-1-2004 pages. I can see what's changed, and when it came
>into effect. I can look back through the old pages I have to see when
>something changed.

I have expressed my own concerns along these lines (which have slightly more
to do with pairs of -judges- having differing collections of card text,
undated...) already, on up the line.

>Finally, Gather doesn't have rules. We need the rule updates as well.

Working.

> I'm particularly interested to see how they hand the Shrine
>endorsement type.

It's just an "enchantment type"; with this expansion, every spell/card type
in the game now has at least one possible subtype.

Dave

Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org> wrote:
>knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
>> Finally, Gather doesn't have rules. We need the rule updates as well.
>
>Rune posted on the JudgeList today that the new Oct. 1 Rules are up at
><http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules>.

Checking: yes. (Odd - first time I checked I could swear it still had the
June version... maybe I still had it in cache or something.) All four versions.

>He also said that the new Full Oracle as a document should be
>available "soon". (And he put it in quotation marks, too.)

Not yet, it appears.

Dave