question about modular

when i play arcbound worker (modular 1) i can put it's +1/+1 counter on
target artifact creature when it is put into graveyard?

1.if my arcbound spell is countered and doesn't resolve can i still
distribute +1/+1 counters?
2. if my creature with modular 1 becomes 5/5 creature (actualy creature with
five +1/+1 counters) and when that creature is put into graveyard can i
distribute only one counter to target artifact creature or all five??

cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:

> when i play arcbound worker (modular 1) i can put it's +1/+1 counter on
> target artifact creature when it is put into graveyard?

I'm not sure what your question is, but here are the relevant rules:

502.35. Modular

502.35a Modular represents both a static ability and a triggered
ability. "Modular X" means "This permanent comes into play with X +1/+1
counters on it" and "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from
play, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each
+1/+1 counter on this permanent."

502.35b If a creature has multiple instances of modular, each one works
separately.

> 1.if my arcbound spell is countered and doesn't resolve can i still
> distribute +1/+1 counters?

If the spell doesn't resolve, it doesn't come into play. If it doesn't
come into play, the "This permanent comes into play with ...." ability
is irrelevant. And the second ability triggers when it is put into a
graveyard FROM PLAY.

> 2. if my creature with modular 1 becomes 5/5 creature (actualy creature with
> five +1/+1 counters) and when that creature is put into graveyard can i
> distribute only one counter to target artifact creature or all five??

"When this permanent is put into a graveyard from play, you may put a
+1/+1 counter on target artifact creature for each +1/+1 counter on this
permanent."

Note that the rule does not say "... for each +1/+1 counter originally
on this permanent."
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

cemo, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> when i play arcbound worker (modular 1) i can put it's +1/+1 counter on
> target artifact creature when it is put into graveyard?

I assume this first part wasn't supposed to be a question, and the
question mark is a typo.

> 1.if my arcbound spell is countered and doesn't resolve can i still
> distribute +1/+1 counters?

No. First of all in that situation it never has the counter in the first
place. Secondly it only gets to distribute its counter(s) if it goes to
a graveyard from play, not from some other zone such as, in this case,
the stack.

> 2. if my creature with modular 1 becomes 5/5 creature (actualy creature with
> five +1/+1 counters) and when that creature is put into graveyard can i
> distribute only one counter to target artifact creature or all five??

All five. All +1/+1 counters are interchangeable [1] and the ability
doesn't say anything about only distributing counters it came into play
with, or anything like that.

[1] At one time this wasn't true, but they have been for at *least* the
last seven years - since Stronghold came out, so that the Spikes would
work the way R&D wanted them to, I think.

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:55:11 +0200, cemo <cemo@rock.com> wrote:
>when i play arcbound worker (modular 1) i can put it's +1/+1 counter on
>target artifact creature when it is put into graveyard?

Well, not "when you play it". Playing it is casting the spell. After the
spell resolves and puts the Worker into play, if it goes to the graveyard
_from play_ its Modular ability will trigger.

>1.if my arcbound spell is countered and doesn't resolve can i still
>distribute +1/+1 counters?

Nope. Spell countered = creature never gets into play in the first place =
no counters get put on it; it comes into play with the counters, so has to
make it INTO play to get them.

>2. if my creature with modular 1 becomes 5/5 creature (actualy creature with
>five +1/+1 counters) and when that creature is put into graveyard can i
>distribute only one counter to target artifact creature or all five??

All +1/+1 counters that are on it when it is placed into the graveyard from
play can be 'moved'. It's not limited to 'the particular +1/+1 counters it got
to start with'; Magic, perhaps wisely, has no way at all to keep track of
WHICH +1/+1 counter is which, it treats them all as indistinguishable.

Dave