Delay and HD head sweep noise when opening Windows Explorer

I have noticed lately that when I open Windows Explorer there is a 2-3
second delay and then I hear the HD heads sweep back and forth before
the window displays the drive contents.

Sometimes the flashlight search icon will also appear.

When I open a file from within an application and navigate to the
folder and data file that I need, I don't get this delay or HD noise.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with all updates (that I am aware of) and my HD
is a Seagate 80Gb

Any ideas from you experts?

TIA, Rich
2 answers Last reply
More about delay head sweep noise opening windows explorer

    Hi there,

    Try this work around:

    1. Click Start, run, type "inetcpl.cpl" (with out quotation marks) and click
    OK.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. Under Browsing, uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions
    (requires restart)" check box.
    4. Click OK.

    To be on the safer side, check for spywares/malwares/scumwares using the
    Lavasoft Adaware software, download from here:
    http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

    After successfully installing the Ad-aware, please follow the steps below:

    1. Double click the Ad-Aware icon on desktop.
    2. Click "Check for Updates", "Connect" and download the latest pattern file
    if available. and click Finish
    3. Click "Start" and then "Next"
    4. After the scan is finished, click "Next"
    5. Select all the items (checkboxes) or
    (Right click on any object in the "Scan result" list and choose 'Select
    all objects')
    6. Click Next and click OK to confirm removal.

    --
    HTH
    Meena
    "Rich" <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote in message
    > I have noticed lately that when I open Windows Explorer there is a 2-3
    > second delay and then I hear the HD heads sweep back and forth before
    > the window displays the drive contents.
    >
    > Sometimes the flashlight search icon will also appear.
    >
    > When I open a file from within an application and navigate to the
    > folder and data file that I need, I don't get this delay or HD noise.
    >
    > I'm running XP Pro SP2 with all updates (that I am aware of) and my HD
    > is a Seagate 80Gb
    >
    > Any ideas from you experts?
    >
    > TIA, Rich

    Thanks for the input, I will check it out. However, this issue is
    with WINDOWS EXPLORER not Internet Explorer. Your suggestion looks
    like it may apply to IE.

    BTW, I already run Ad-aware & Spybot and both are up to date.

    Rich

    "Meena" <SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Try this work around:
    >
    >1. Click Start, run, type "inetcpl.cpl" (with out quotation marks) and click
    >OK.
    >2. Click the Advanced tab.
    >3. Under Browsing, uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions
    >(requires restart)" check box.
    >4. Click OK.
    >
    >To be on the safer side, check for spywares/malwares/scumwares using the
    >Lavasoft Adaware software, download from here:
    >http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm
    >
    >After successfully installing the Ad-aware, please follow the steps below:
    >
    >1. Double click the Ad-Aware icon on desktop.
    >2. Click "Check for Updates", "Connect" and download the latest pattern file
    >if available. and click Finish
    >3. Click "Start" and then "Next"
    >4. After the scan is finished, click "Next"
    >5. Select all the items (checkboxes) or
    > (Right click on any object in the "Scan result" list and choose 'Select
    >all objects')
    >6. Click Next and click OK to confirm removal.

Windows Explorer HD Windows XP