Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mysterious tool bar button

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Please can anyone help me. For about 3 weeks my broadband internet connection
(512kb ADSL) has been running extremely slowly, slower than dial-up even. My
ISP has done a line test and said everything is fine there, and suggested it
may be a virus. I ran scans with Norton, Ad-Aware and Spy-bot but still had
the same problem. The interesting thing is that this started happening at the
same time a strange button started to appear on the toolbar at the bottom of
the screen. It pops up about once every 15 mins, only stays for a second or
two, then vanishes again. It has no name and doesn't show up on the Process
tab of the Task Manager. Can anyone please tell me what this could possibly
be and how I can get rid of it if need be?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:13:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Please try these programs as well:

CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp


--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.


"Kevin Furlong" <Kevin Furlong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B67B1A10-97FF-4DB5-AFC4-5E0D6CC1B072@microsoft.com...
> Please can anyone help me. For about 3 weeks my broadband internet
> connection
> (512kb ADSL) has been running extremely slowly, slower than dial-up even.
> My
> ISP has done a line test and said everything is fine there, and suggested
> it
> may be a virus. I ran scans with Norton, Ad-Aware and Spy-bot but still
> had
> the same problem. The interesting thing is that this started happening at
> the
> same time a strange button started to appear on the toolbar at the bottom
> of
> the screen. It pops up about once every 15 mins, only stays for a second
> or
> two, then vanishes again. It has no name and doesn't show up on the
> Process
> tab of the Task Manager. Can anyone please tell me what this could
> possibly
> be and how I can get rid of it if need be?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there. I tried all of the suggestions made by Will Denny. The good news is
that no spyware showed up on my computer of any kind. The bad news is that
the mysterious button on the toolbar is still appearing and my net connection
is still so slow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try these programs as well:
>
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>
> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>
> Also see the following links:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
>
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>
>
> "Kevin Furlong" <Kevin Furlong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B67B1A10-97FF-4DB5-AFC4-5E0D6CC1B072@microsoft.com...
> > Please can anyone help me. For about 3 weeks my broadband internet
> > connection
> > (512kb ADSL) has been running extremely slowly, slower than dial-up even.
> > My
> > ISP has done a line test and said everything is fine there, and suggested
> > it
> > may be a virus. I ran scans with Norton, Ad-Aware and Spy-bot but still
> > had
> > the same problem. The interesting thing is that this started happening at
> > the
> > same time a strange button started to appear on the toolbar at the bottom
> > of
> > the screen. It pops up about once every 15 mins, only stays for a second
> > or
> > two, then vanishes again. It has no name and doesn't show up on the
> > Process
> > tab of the Task Manager. Can anyone please tell me what this could
> > possibly
> > be and how I can get rid of it if need be?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:13:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You are probably still bugged!
Try CW shredder in safe mode as well as try Spybot Search and destroy.
Try adaware also.
I have had these nasties avoid my efforts until used the
removal/detection tools in safe mode and or visa versa. They are
tricky bastards!

You might want to rip out (of Windows) your DSL connection and
rebuild it in windows after removing the baddies.

Oh! Download Mcaffees' stinger and run it too. I don't recommend their
Antivirus (or Nortons either).
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:13:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the advice Slippery_one, i'll try running them all again in Safe
Mode. Can you tell me how to rip out my DSl connection from Windows though, I
can't see how to do it. I have a ZyXEL modem connected by Ethernet cable
(LAN). P.S. If I use the System Restore feature in Windows XP to go back to
before I started having this problem, will this solve it?
Thanks.

"Slippery_one" wrote:

> You are probably still bugged!
> Try CW shredder in safe mode as well as try Spybot Search and destroy.
> Try adaware also.
> I have had these nasties avoid my efforts until used the
> removal/detection tools in safe mode and or visa versa. They are
> tricky bastards!
>
> You might want to rip out (of Windows) your DSL connection and
> rebuild it in windows after removing the baddies.
>
> Oh! Download Mcaffees' stinger and run it too. I don't recommend their
> Antivirus (or Nortons either).
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:14:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Kevin Furlong" <KevinFurlong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7FE88B4D-33F6-4ED1-98AA-77BCE3ED638C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the advice Slippery_one, i'll try running them all again
> in Safe
> Mode. Can you tell me how to rip out my DSl connection from Windows
> though, I
> can't see how to do it. I have a ZyXEL modem connected by Ethernet
> cable
> (LAN). P.S. If I use the System Restore feature in Windows XP to go
> back to
> before I started having this problem, will this solve it?
> Thanks.
>

Go into network connection in the control panel and remove the local
area connection using the wizard and make a new one. Sometimes it
clears up some issues. Especially when you can't connect at all.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:51:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there. I have ran every anti virus and spyware tool I can find. The good
news is that my net is working fine again. Unfortunately, the strange button
on the bottom toolbar is still appearing every 15 mins or so. I'm worried
about what it is but can't find anyway to discover what it is or get rid of
it. Anyone have any ideas please?

"Slippery_one" wrote:

>
> "Kevin Furlong" <KevinFurlong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7FE88B4D-33F6-4ED1-98AA-77BCE3ED638C@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the advice Slippery_one, i'll try running them all again
> > in Safe
> > Mode. Can you tell me how to rip out my DSl connection from Windows
> > though, I
> > can't see how to do it. I have a ZyXEL modem connected by Ethernet
> > cable
> > (LAN). P.S. If I use the System Restore feature in Windows XP to go
> > back to
> > before I started having this problem, will this solve it?
> > Thanks.
> >
>
> Go into network connection in the control panel and remove the local
> area connection using the wizard and make a new one. Sometimes it
> clears up some issues. Especially when you can't connect at all.
>
>
>
!