time stop vs gifts ungiven and or tooth and nail...

my opponent casts gifts ungiven.
they search their librabry for the four cards and then i cast time stop
once they reveal the cards.
does this remove the chosen cards from the game? can this be done at
this time, or is it a question of priority (the assumption being that i
do not have priority at that time and therefore could not cast time
stop at that point.)

pretty much the same question with tooth and nail...

what it boils down to is... when do you cast time stop in order to
recieve the greatest possible effect vs. those two cards.

i know that this treads slightly into strategy, but i appreciate the
help.

-Cannibal-
3 answers Last reply
More about time stop gifts ungiven tooth nail
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:43:26 -0400, Cannibal <cannibal@cox.net> wrote:
    >my opponent casts gifts ungiven.
    >they search their librabry for the four cards and then i cast time stop
    >once they reveal the cards.

    You have no possible way to do this; you can't announce (or resolve) spells,
    or nonmana abilities, DURING the resolution of a spell or ability.

    You can cast Time Stop in response to the Gifts spell, but if you do so, it
    resolves BEFORE the Gifts spell resolves, so no searching has been done yet
    and no cards have been revealed.

    If you wait for the library-searching and the card-revealing, you can't do
    anything at all other than choose two of the cards at that point; Gifts does
    NOT say you can cast spells after the cards are revealed but before the spell
    is done resolving (and it would have to SAY SO SPECIFICALLY to allow this to
    happe). After you choose, those two go to the graveyard and the other two go
    to his hand; then he shuffles his library; then Gifts Ungiven goes to his
    graveyard; then ACTIVE PLAYER gets priority and can take an action. Through all
    of this, YOU have no way to take any actions at all (other than the one
    specified by GU, choosing two of the revealed cards).

    If it's your turn, you get priority first after GU is done resolving - but he
    will already have the unchosen cards in his hand. If it's his turn, you have to
    wait longer to get priority, as you won't get it until after HE has passed,
    after GU is done resolving. Time Stop at this point does nothing at all to the
    GU, which is already fully done resolving.

    >does this remove the chosen cards from the game? can this be done at
    >this time, or is it a question of priority (the assumption being that i
    >do not have priority at that time and therefore could not cast time
    >stop at that point.)

    You do not have priority at that time, and therefore cannot cast Time Stop, or
    any other spell, or play any activated ability at all, at that time.

    >pretty much the same question with tooth and nail...

    Same answer: you can certainly Time Stop in response, and then the Tooth and
    Nail never gets to resolve at all - no searching occurs, no shuffling, no
    putting into play. Or you can wait until Tooth and Nail is fully done
    resolving. But there's no way to cast Time Stop partway through the spell's
    resolution, no way at all.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Cannibal sez:

    <<
    >my opponent casts gifts ungiven.
    >they search their librabry for the four cards and then i cast time stop
    >once they reveal the cards.

    No, you don't. You wait until the GU has fully resolved before you play Time
    Stop. Had you wanted to counter the GU, you'd've played TS before the GU
    resolved. Now, you must wait until GU is fully resolved before playing TS, and
    by then, all cards played are in the graveyard or your opp's hands.

    <<
    >does this remove the chosen cards from the game? can this be done at
    >this time, or is it a question of priority (the assumption being that i
    >do not have priority at that time and therefore could not cast time
    >stop at that point.

    That's about the gist of it. No one has priority when a spell is resolving.

    <<
    >pretty much the same question with tooth and nail...
    >
    >what it boils down to is... when do you cast time stop in order to
    >recieve the greatest possible effect vs. those two cards.

    Before they resolve. That stops them from doing ANYthing (not quite
    countering, but just as effective), and they're RFG to boot, so they're now
    dead cards that nothing short of a Wish can touch...

    ----
    If [Michael Moore] makes a mistake in [F 9/11], it's not that he's careless
    with the facts ... It's that he suggests Bush is the cause of our problems,
    when, in fact, Bush is just the result.
    --The Libertarian Lessons of Fahrenheit 9/11
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Cannibal wrote:

    > my opponent casts gifts ungiven.
    > they search their librabry for the four cards and then i cast time stop
    > once they reveal the cards.
    > does this remove the chosen cards from the game? can this be done at
    > this time, or is it a question of priority (the assumption being that i
    > do not have priority at that time and therefore could not cast time
    > stop at that point.)

    Dingdingdingding! We have a correct answer! Once your opponent starts
    searching his library, Gifts is *resolving*. You don't get priority in
    the middle of a spell resolving; you'd have to wait until the spell
    finishes.

    > pretty much the same question with tooth and nail...
    >
    > what it boils down to is... when do you cast time stop in order to
    > recieve the greatest possible effect vs. those two cards.

    Basically, before the spell starts to resolve; i.e., before it does
    anything. Time Stop will then end the turn before their spell
    resolves, and they will have wasted the card and the mana it took
    to cast it.

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"