HP BATTERY COMPATIBILITY MYSTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I'd like to know which of the codes printed on an HP battery identifies it so that you can find a compatible battery.

How can I know wich batteries are compatible with a laptop HP Pavilion DV7 3150el?

Printed in my battery there're several codes:

HP Part Number 464059-142
SERIES ....
FOR USE WITH HP SERIES HST... (I'm not giving the SERIRES and FOR USE WITH... actual numbers because I don't have the battery at hand).

Then I phone an HP shop here in Spain and they tell me they can sell me a battery for my laptop with

Part Number 464059-252, which is different to the Part number printed on the laptop battery.

So it seems HP changes their battery Part Numbers as new batteries are manufactured, so then: isn't there any compatibility chart for HP batteries that for example says:
HP DV7 3150el compatible batteries: Part Number 464059-252, Part Number 464059-142 and so on.
I couldn't find none with Google.

The only way to find out if the battery will work with your model is form the battery vendor. If HP states that model will work with your laptop why are you worried about it? Who cares what the part number is? I work on sets of 50 identical computers, the components they use may have 3-4 different part numbers for identical stuff.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
well, what I meant is that I found a battery in Ebay with the same Part Number of the HP battery; I simply want to make sure that if both batteries have the same part number then they must be compatible; what makes me doubt is that in the Ebay list of laptops for that battery, my laptop doesn't appear, and asking the ebay vendor he answered "I don't know if it'll be valid, try it and if it doesn't then return it".

There is no way to tell for sure from a 3rd party vendor if it will work,only they would know. Find a battery that has your laptop listed as compatible. And keep in mind the cheap Chinese batteries from Ebay will probably be good for 6 months to a year before they go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.