Problems restarting when Disk Error Checking initiated

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I'm running Win XP home ed. and lately have experienced start up
problems when I attempt to run the Disk Error Checking Utility in
Tools.

What happens is this:
I select disk error checking and then select restart as is customary
when running disk error checking. However, windows will not boot up
and I get a black screen. The only way I can open windows is to do a
power off and an F8 during the power on sequence. I get to a setup
text screen where I can select restart at the restart at the last
normally operating windows operation or words to that effect.

Has anyone encountered this problem or can someone advise me on what
may be going awry and suggest a fix?

Thank you,

Mary.
5 answers Last reply
More about problems restarting disk error checking initiated

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:985p21h2v994bip1jut8le94uds71397q2@4ax.com...

    > I'm running Win XP home ed. and lately have experienced start up
    > problems when I attempt to run the Disk Error Checking Utility in
    > Tools.
    >
    > What happens is this:
    > I select disk error checking and then select restart as is customary
    > when running disk error checking. However, windows will not boot up
    > and I get a black screen. The only way I can open windows is to do a
    > power off and an F8 during the power on sequence. I get to a setup
    > text screen where I can select restart at the restart at the last
    > normally operating windows operation or words to that effect.
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this problem or can someone advise me on what
    > may be going awry and suggest a fix?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Mary.

    Mark,

    Thank you for the response - unfortunately I don't have the Microsoft
    XP CD. All I have is the PC vendor's restore CD. Can you suggest an
    alternate resolution?

    Mary

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:57:10 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    --

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:flls211cphq9jb7nokr2470qsnsuerggum@4ax.com...
    > Mark,
    >
    > Thank you for the response - unfortunately I don't have the Microsoft
    > XP CD. All I have is the PC vendor's restore CD. Can you suggest an
    > alternate resolution?
    >
    > Mary
    >
    > On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:57:10 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    > <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    Mark,

    Thanks once again for your patience and assistance. I assume that SFC
    /SCANNOW accomplishes that same thing that Disk Error Checking does?
    Mary

    Mary

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:11:24 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    no, that's chkdsk.exe

    --

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uiou211ohvcae6uj78q35tq8qv9poqpqic@4ax.com...

    > Mark,
    >
    > Thanks once again for your patience and assistance. I assume that SFC
    > /SCANNOW accomplishes that same thing that Disk Error Checking does?
    > Mary
    >
    > Mary
    >
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:11:24 -0600, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    > <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

Support Disk Error Microsoft Power Windows XP