Sign in with
Your question

DSL Router

Last response: in Networking
March 7, 2002 3:42:56 PM

Hi.

I've currently got three computers (98SE, ME and XP) networked using a five port switch (Netgear FS105). Now I've just learned that my phone compnay will be upgrading my exchange to DSL at the end of this month, so I can finally get rid of dial-up!

Anyway, I would like to be able to share the connection between all three computers so that we can all be on the net at the same time, to do this I know we need a Router. I've looked into these, but I haven't been able to find a great deal of information about them.

What I need to know is, does a Router also act as a Switch/Hub? In that it does the same job as a Switch while also sharing the DSL connection? Secondly, do I need to get a DSL modem and plug that into the Router, or can I get a Router with a built in modem? If not, then is a USB or Ethernet modem the best? I've found a Netgear Router that has an Ethernet port for the DSL connection (pressumably from a modem), but I've only been able to find USB modems, so I assume thats out.

Basically, what's the proceedure for using a Router to share a DSL connection?

I'd appreciate any help. Cheers.

More about : dsl router

March 7, 2002 4:45:51 PM

Yes, the router will allow you to share your internet connection and files (like a switch/hub) between your three computers. I'm not sure if there are routers with built-in dsl modems or not. If you get a dsl modem, get the ethernet one so that it can be plugged into your router. Don't get the usb or pci internal dsl modems.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>
March 7, 2002 6:06:27 PM

You could get away with just a single port router since you already have a decent switch. Just plug the router into the switch.

One model I know of is the Linksys BEFSR11... using it here at work and it's plugged into our existing setup.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Related resources
March 10, 2002 6:35:42 PM

What type of router depends on what type of dsl service they are offering and weather they are using bridging or a pppoe/pppoa setup. Normally if they are using pppxx then you have to authenticate with a username/password. In which case its generally easiest if your router supports pppxx so you can program the username/pass into the router itself.

And yes a router will handle internet sharing for you if it does NAT or network address translation.
March 11, 2002 5:45:08 PM

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I'll get on the phone to my phone company and a few ISP's, see what's on offer.
!