DSL Router

Hi.

I've currently got three computers (98SE, ME and XP) networked using a five port switch (Netgear FS105). Now I've just learned that my phone compnay will be upgrading my exchange to DSL at the end of this month, so I can finally get rid of dial-up!

Anyway, I would like to be able to share the connection between all three computers so that we can all be on the net at the same time, to do this I know we need a Router. I've looked into these, but I haven't been able to find a great deal of information about them.

What I need to know is, does a Router also act as a Switch/Hub? In that it does the same job as a Switch while also sharing the DSL connection? Secondly, do I need to get a DSL modem and plug that into the Router, or can I get a Router with a built in modem? If not, then is a USB or Ethernet modem the best? I've found a Netgear Router that has an Ethernet port for the DSL connection (pressumably from a modem), but I've only been able to find USB modems, so I assume thats out.

Basically, what's the proceedure for using a Router to share a DSL connection?

I'd appreciate any help. Cheers.
4 answers Last reply
More about router
  1. Yes, the router will allow you to share your internet connection and files (like a switch/hub) between your three computers. I'm not sure if there are routers with built-in dsl modems or not. If you get a dsl modem, get the ethernet one so that it can be plugged into your router. Don't get the usb or pci internal dsl modems.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>
  2. You could get away with just a single port router since you already have a decent switch. Just plug the router into the switch.

One model I know of is the Linksys BEFSR11... using it here at work and it's plugged into our existing setup.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
  3. What type of router depends on what type of dsl service they are offering and weather they are using bridging or a pppoe/pppoa setup. Normally if they are using pppxx then you have to authenticate with a username/password. In which case its generally easiest if your router supports pppxx so you can program the username/pass into the router itself.

And yes a router will handle internet sharing for you if it does NAT or network address translation.
  4. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I'll get on the phone to my phone company and a few ISP's, see what's on offer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers DSL Networking