Graffiti question/annoyance

July 11, 2005 3:59:11 PM

Using G2 on a T3. No issues with graffiti except this...

I cannot get it to accept a 'T' as the first letter when entering Location
in calendar. It always 'sees' the initial stroke as an 'L' whatever I do. Is
this a known issue or is there a different way to write 'T'? Might seem
trivial but 75% of my appointments are at the same place which begins with,
you guessed it, a 'T'. I'll have to think of another name for it if I cant
fix this.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
July 11, 2005 3:59:12 PM

Can you not pull up the on-screen keyboard thingy?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:59:13 PM

On 11 Jul 2005 04:12:13 -0700, "PaddyG" <disposable1@psae.f2s.com>
wrote:

>Can you not pull up the on-screen keyboard thingy?

why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
time you want to make the letter "T"?

(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
July 11, 2005 3:59:14 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:15:03 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

>On 11 Jul 2005 04:12:13 -0700, "PaddyG" <disposable1@psae.f2s.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Can you not pull up the on-screen keyboard thingy?
>
>why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
>time you want to make the letter "T"?
>
>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).

Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:44:26 PM

"PaddyG" <disposable1@psae.f2s.com> wrote in message
> Can you not pull up the on-screen keyboard thingy?

yes but I want the bloody thing to do what I tell it without additional
keystrokes :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:40:42 PM

In message <3jf1noFp7398U1@individual.net>, Tumbleweed
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> writes
>Using G2 on a T3. No issues with graffiti except this...
>
>I cannot get it to accept a 'T' as the first letter when entering Location
>in calendar. It always 'sees' the initial stroke as an 'L' whatever I do. Is
>this a known issue or is there a different way to write 'T'?

I've a similar problem with my TungstenE - except that it produces a
capitalised L followed by "ocation" highlighted.

It's impossible to put a "T" (either case) as the first character in
that field :(

The problem isn't present anywhere else, that I'm aware of.

I've a few calendar related add-ins installed - KSDatebook, Today,
Hotdate etc - that I've played with in the past. I wonder if it's
related ?
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

In message <8uUnspTrHp0CFwn2@btinternet.com>, Ian Cummings
<news.spam@glitton.org.uk> writes

>I've a few calendar related add-ins installed - KSDatebook, Today,
>Hotdate etc - that I've played with in the past. I wonder if it's
>related ?

I've now uninstalled all calendar related apps (except the default Palm
Calendar) and it's the same - can't scribble a letter T in the location
field.

As a work around, could you use a shortcut ?
If the frequently used location is more than three characters, it's less
scribbling that way.
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

"Ian Cummings" <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> wrote in message
> In message <8uUnspTrHp0CFwn2@btinternet.com>, Ian Cummings
> <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> writes
>
>>I've a few calendar related add-ins installed - KSDatebook, Today, Hotdate
>>etc - that I've played with in the past. I wonder if it's related ?
>
> I've now uninstalled all calendar related apps (except the default Palm
> Calendar) and it's the same - can't scribble a letter T in the location
> field.
>
> As a work around, could you use a shortcut ?
> If the frequently used location is more than three characters, it's less
> scribbling that way.
> --
> Ian Cummings

funnily enough its exactly 3! I dont have any calendar related add ins.
Looks like its a bug.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:16:59 AM

On 2005-07-11, Tumbleweed <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Ian Cummings" <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <8uUnspTrHp0CFwn2@btinternet.com>, Ian Cummings
>> <news.spam@glitton.org.uk> writes
>>
>>>I've a few calendar related add-ins installed - KSDatebook, Today, Hotdate
>>>etc - that I've played with in the past. I wonder if it's related ?
>>
>> I've now uninstalled all calendar related apps (except the default Palm
>> Calendar) and it's the same - can't scribble a letter T in the location
>> field.
>>
>> As a work around, could you use a shortcut ?
>> If the frequently used location is more than three characters, it's less
>> scribbling that way.
>> --
>> Ian Cummings
>
> funnily enough its exactly 3! I dont have any calendar related add ins.
> Looks like its a bug.

Works fine on my T3.
When I enter the T as the first letter in the Location field of the Details form
I first get a capital L on the first stroke and then when I 'cross my t' the L is
erased and replaced by a T. Of course, you should not wait too long with the cross stroke.
Graffiti 2 in fact queues l,<backspace>,t for the t character.
Look also at the graffiti 2 item in the Prefs application, where you can define
an alternative for 't'.

HTH

Ton van Overbeek
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:08:57 PM

Mike Koenecke wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:15:03 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>On 11 Jul 2005 04:12:13 -0700, "PaddyG" <disposable1@psae.f2s.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Can you not pull up the on-screen keyboard thingy?
>>
>>why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
>>time you want to make the letter "T"?
>>
>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>

> Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
> install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.

Ok, so how do I do it on my T5? I'd love to see that done!
T5 with G2 is slow and inaccurate. My writing speed has come down
so much that I'm actually faster using the keyboard.
G2 may be something for newcomers, but experienced G1 users
will always be faster with G1 (2 strokes for a T? Line and dot
for an I???)

I went to TealScript, which is some improvement, but I
still miss my Graffiti 1 from Palm III/Vx/m515 times ...

///Walter
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:08:58 PM

Walter P. Zaehl wrote:

> Mike Koenecke wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:15:03 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

>>>why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
>>>time you want to make the letter "T"?
>>>
>>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>>

>> Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
>> install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.
>
> Ok, so how do I do it on my T5? I'd love to see that done!
> T5 with G2 is slow and inaccurate. My writing speed has come down
> so much that I'm actually faster using the keyboard.
> G2 may be something for newcomers, but experienced G1 users
> will always be faster with G1 (2 strokes for a T? Line and dot
> for an I???)
>
> I went to TealScript, which is some improvement, but I
> still miss my Graffiti 1 from Palm III/Vx/m515 times ...
>
> ///Walter

Graffiti 2 is good for newcomers. Full stop. With Graffiti 1, It was not a
matter of just learning the new strokes, but also mastering them and
getting a quick writing flow. As a matter of fact, I am no longer able to
write English on /paper/ unless I stick to all capitals, which I now do.
It's a residue of Graffiti 1.

The bottom line is that it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
the user an easy _choice_. Instead, add-ons are needed to return to good
old habits.

Simplicity is king and 2-stroke inputs are an overkill when computers
automate the process of interpretation and rendering. You don't see us
pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+CAPS+S to save the work, whereas filing work in
physical term would probably involve punching holes in papers, adding
papers to a folder, putting folder in the shelf and so forth.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:08:57 +0200, "Walter P. Zaehl"
<spamsink9@zaehl.de> wrote:

>Mike Koenecke wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:15:03 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

>>>why have Graffiti if you have to pull up an on-screen keyboard every
>>>time you want to make the letter "T"?
>>>
>>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>>

>> Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
>> install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.
>
>Ok, so how do I do it on my T5? I'd love to see that done!
>T5 with G2 is slow and inaccurate. My writing speed has come down
>so much that I'm actually faster using the keyboard.
>G2 may be something for newcomers, but experienced G1 users
>will always be faster with G1 (2 strokes for a T? Line and dot
>for an I???)
>
>I went to TealScript, which is some improvement, but I
>still miss my Graffiti 1 from Palm III/Vx/m515 times ...
>
>///Walter

A little searching found the following:

http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?name=Pda_Guide&rop=...

"The safe way to replace Graffiti 2 with Graffiti 1 is to purchase the
CIC Jot handwriting recognition system. These are the folks that
licenced Graffiti 2 to Palm and their product still supports Graffiti
1 as well! Its a bit pricey, so consider the bundle of Jot and
WordComplete for a few bucks more. WordComplete suggests words based
on the letters you've started to enter and lets you pick one from a
list. This greatly speeds up data entry on your Palm.

"In addition, Igor Nestorov has figured out how to patch the original
Palm Graffiti 1 files so that they work on the Treo 650 and Tungsten
T5. The files can be downloaded from here. Thanks to a 1src member for
this information."

"Here" links to http://yahm.palmoid.com/G14OS54.zip .

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:02:50 PM

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
>the user an easy _choice_. [G1 or G2]

Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a patent
Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:06:55 PM

AaronJ wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>>it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
>>the user an easy _choice_. [G1 or G2]
>
> Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a
> patent Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.

Excellent. So every Palm user has to suffer. Now isn't society treading
onwards into a future of innovation and greater ease? I am very glad that
the EU software patent bill was binned.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>AaronJ wrote:

>> Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a
>> patent Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
>
>Excellent. So every Palm user has to suffer.

Well actually Palm did have choice to keep G1: Pay Xerox $$$ to license it.
Instead they chose to make you suffer (your words) with G2. Course some would
argue that the cost of that licensing would have shown up in the increased price
of the next model so you would have suffered anyway... ;)
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:17:18 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:50 GMT, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:

>Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>>it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
>>the user an easy _choice_. [G1 or G2]
>
>Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a patent
>Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.

Actually, I recall that was overturned on appeal. The damage was done
by then, of course.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:05:31 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:23:02 -0500, Mike Koenecke
<mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote:

>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>
>Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
>install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.

The last time I looked into this (a few months ago), you can't do that
on the newer PalmOne models such as the T5, which I have. If someone
has figured out how, please let me know.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:05:32 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:05:31 -0400, pfw <pfw@pobox.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:23:02 -0500, Mike Koenecke
><mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote:
>

>>>(Missing Graffiti 1 because it is more accurate than G2).
>>
>>Why? There are any number of sites on the Web to tell you how to
>>install Graffiti 1 over Graffiti 2. I did it on my Clie TH-55 myself.
>
>The last time I looked into this (a few months ago), you can't do that
>on the newer PalmOne models such as the T5, which I have. If someone
>has figured out how, please let me know.

Just in case you didn't see my earlier post:

[...]

July 12, 2005 11:06:17 PM

Hello, Mike Koenecke !
You wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:50 GMT, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
>
> >Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> >
> >>it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
> >>the user an easy _choice_. [G1 or G2]
> >
> >Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a
> >patent
> >Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
>
> Actually, I recall that was overturned on appeal. The damage was done
> by then, of course.

And Xerox can still appeal the appeal decision.
--
<BANG> "Let her go! Damn, did that backwards."
-- Virgil Webster from The Inside

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:15:10 AM

In message <slrndd5hdb.1267.v-overbeek@xs2.xs4all.nl>, Ton van Overbeek
<v-overbeek@cistron.nl> writes

>Works fine on my T3.
>When I enter the T as the first letter in the Location field of the
>Details form
>I first get a capital L on the first stroke and then when I 'cross my
>t' the L is
>erased and replaced by a T.

Doesn't work here. On the initial downstroke I get a capitalised letter
L *and* "ocation" highlighted.
If I then continue to cross the t, I end up with LT

>Of course, you should not wait too long with the cross stroke.

I've tried everything - I really don't think I can make the wait any
shorter !

>Graffiti 2 in fact queues l,<backspace>,t for the t character.
>Look also at the graffiti 2 item in the Prefs application, where you can define
>an alternative for 't'.

Yup, that works (crossing the t before scribbling the downstroke)

Now I've just got to learn a different way of writing :(

Looks like a bug, smells like a bug...
--
Ian Cummings
Anonymous

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> AaronJ wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>>>it's rather disappointing that Palm did not allow
>>>the user an easy _choice_. [G1 or G2]
>>
>> Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a
>> patent Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
>
> Excellent. So every Palm user has to suffer. Now isn't society treading
> onwards into a future of innovation and greater ease? I am very glad that
> the EU software patent bill was binned.

One wonders why Xerox bothered with the suit--they'd have made a lot more
money by clobbering Apple over the Mac but they didn't bother then. I
suspect that there was some sort of political motivation for going after
Palm.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Mike Koenecke <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:02:50 GMT, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:

>>Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a patent
>>Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
>
>Actually, I recall that was overturned on appeal. The damage was done
>by then, of course.

You are correct. However one Palm spokesman said at the time that while the
court case had prompted Palm to look for alternatives to the earlier technology,
the firm had decided it needed to rethink the product "independent of the law
suit." So they licensed Communication Intelligence Corporation's Jot software as
the engine for Graffiti 2.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:52:37 AM

J. Clarke wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> AaronJ wrote:

>>> Palm had no choice. A judge had ruled that Graffiti 1 infringed on a
>>> patent Xerox held on a handwriting recognition method called Unistrokes.
>>
>> Excellent. So every Palm user has to suffer. Now isn't society treading
>> onwards into a future of innovation and greater ease? I am very glad that
>> the EU software patent bill was binned.
>
> One wonders why Xerox bothered with the suit--they'd have made a lot more
> money by clobbering Apple over the Mac but they didn't bother then. I
> suspect that there was some sort of political motivation for going after
> Palm.

These ones maybe?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/emergingtech/0,3902035...

http://www.winplanet.com/article/1099-.htm