Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

basic cards?!?!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called basic
cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"

More about : basic cards

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:08:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:

> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called basic
> cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.

I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.
--

David
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:08:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:08:48 +0800, The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called basic
>cards?

No.

>if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.

The only cards in Magic with the supertype "basic" are the basic lands: Swamp,
Mountain, Forest, Plains, and Island (and the five snow-covered lands from Ice
Age in 1995, Snow-Covered Mountain, etc.). Other Magic cards are not basic
cards.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:08:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, David DeLaney wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:08:48 +0800, The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called basic
>> cards?
>
> No.
>
>> if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>
> The only cards in Magic with the supertype "basic" are the basic lands: Swamp,
> Mountain, Forest, Plains, and Island (and the five snow-covered lands from Ice
> Age in 1995, Snow-Covered Mountain, etc.). Other Magic cards are not basic
> cards.

I still think it's a pity they didn't give Relentless Rats the
supertype Basic.

--

David
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:08:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:

> Chris Wiegert wrote:
>>>>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
>>>>> basic cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>>>>
>>>> I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.
>>>
>>> lol. okay, basically, what are the staple cards? is there a list? i
>>> cant seem to find a staple list in apprentice.
>>
>> That would be because there *is* no official list of "staples".
>> Different people would consider different cards to be staples, it's a
>> matter of opinion. Why are you looking for this list anyway? Are you
>> maybe looking for a list of cards in the base set, meaning 8th
>> Edition?
>
> well, if its called base set, i find it weird that theres no 'counterspell'
> in 8th ed. (in apprentice), but there IS counterspell in the 8th ed pre
> constructed deck 'sky slam'. i just wanna know is there a name for this type
> of cards and are they universally legal to be used in ANY sets?

I don't see counterspell in the Preconstructed deck Sky Slam:

1 Sage Owl
1 Spiketail Hatchling
1 Fleeting Image
2 Horned Turtle
1 Puppeteer
2 Wind Drake
1 Phantom Warrior
1 Aven Fisher
1 Fighting Drake
2 Thieving Magpie
1 Coastal Hornclaw
1 Air Elemental
3 Unsummon
1 Mana Leak
2 Remove Soul
1 Dehydration
1 Urza's Armor
17 Island

> i hope im making sense.

Not realy :) 

--

David
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:41:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

David de Kloet wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:
>
>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
>> basic cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>
> I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.

lol. okay, basically, what are the staple cards? is there a list? i cant
seem to find a staple list in apprentice.
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:41:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

> >> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
> >> basic cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
> >
> > I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.
>
> lol. okay, basically, what are the staple cards? is there a list? i cant
> seem to find a staple list in apprentice.

That would be because there *is* no official list of "staples".
Different people would consider different cards to be staples, it's a matter
of opinion. Why are you looking for this list anyway? Are you maybe looking
for a list of cards in the base set, meaning 8th Edition?
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:42:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

Chris Wiegert wrote:
>>>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
>>>> basic cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>>>
>>> I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.
>>
>> lol. okay, basically, what are the staple cards? is there a list? i
>> cant seem to find a staple list in apprentice.
>
> That would be because there *is* no official list of "staples".
> Different people would consider different cards to be staples, it's a
> matter of opinion. Why are you looking for this list anyway? Are you
> maybe looking for a list of cards in the base set, meaning 8th
> Edition?

well, if its called base set, i find it weird that theres no 'counterspell'
in 8th ed. (in apprentice), but there IS counterspell in the 8th ed pre
constructed deck 'sky slam'. i just wanna know is there a name for this type
of cards and are they universally legal to be used in ANY sets?

i hope im making sense.
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:42:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 04:42:18 +0800, "The Dude"
<thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:

>Chris Wiegert wrote:
>>>>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
>>>>> basic cards? if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>>>>
>>>> I believe "staple" is the term used for that kind of cards.
>>>
>>> lol. okay, basically, what are the staple cards? is there a list? i
>>> cant seem to find a staple list in apprentice.
>>
>> That would be because there *is* no official list of "staples".
>> Different people would consider different cards to be staples, it's a
>> matter of opinion. Why are you looking for this list anyway? Are you
>> maybe looking for a list of cards in the base set, meaning 8th
>> Edition?
>
>well, if its called base set, i find it weird that theres no 'counterspell'
>in 8th ed. (in apprentice), but there IS counterspell in the 8th ed pre
>constructed deck 'sky slam'. i just wanna know is there a name for this type
>of cards and are they universally legal to be used in ANY sets?

Certain cards have appeared so often in the history of Magic that they
are considered "staples" of the game (they are usually also rather
good at what they do). Take Disenchant for example, it is cheap and
efficient artifact and enchantment removal, and it has appeared in:

Ice Age
Mirage
Tempest
Urza's Saga
Mercadian Masques
Alpha, Beta, Unlimited
Revised Edition
Fourth Edition
Fifth Edition
Classic (Sixth Edition)
Seventh Edition
Starter 2000

Of course, in 8th ed. they revised the color wheel and moved
Disenchant to green and named it Naturalize... :) 
Another staple could be Birds of Paradise that has appeared in every
base set so far - it won't be in 9th, though.

However, a list of staples would be impossible to create - it is just
a subjective "this is a good long-standing member of the Magic family"
term, that has nothing to do with the game rules. Making a list of
staple cards is like making a top 10 best players in <insert some
sport>, everybody has their own candidates and nobody can agree on
more than half of the list :) 

That leads us to "legal in ANY set"...
Well sorry, but no cards are legal in _any_ set by default. All
formats have strict rules as to what cards are allowed, for example I
believe standart is "latest basic set + latest expansion block".


Ps. As for Sky Slam - where did you find out that Counterspell was in
there? Could it be that you confused the counterspell "Mana Leak" with
the counterspell "Counterspell"?

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

David de Kloet wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, David DeLaney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:08:48 +0800, The Dude
>> <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>>> are cards like disenchant, counterspell, stone rain, etc, called
>>> basic cards?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> if so, where can i get a basic card list? thanks.
>>
>> The only cards in Magic with the supertype "basic" are the basic
>> lands: Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Plains, and Island (and the five
>> snow-covered lands from Ice Age in 1995, Snow-Covered Mountain,
>> etc.). Other Magic cards are not basic cards.
>
> I still think it's a pity they didn't give Relentless Rats the
> supertype Basic.

so basically if it says there (in apprentice), i.e: disenchant- (under
sets), S2, does that mean Standard type 2??

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:59:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>so basically if it says there (in apprentice), i.e: disenchant- (under
>sets), S2, does that mean Standard type 2??

I don't know Apprentice, but I'd take that to mean it was in the second Starter
set; except that Starter didn't _have_ enchantments or artifacts, so I don't
think it would have had Disenchant either. So I don't know what that means, and
you may want to look at the Apprentice helpfiles.

....Gatherer (gatherer.wizards.com) says it -was- in Starter 2000, however. Let
me look... okay, it had two Enchant Creature cards and three Artifact cards,
so that's why they gave it Disenchant too. So that almost certainly means
Starter 2000. It was also in all the main sets up through 7th Edition, was
a promotional card (Arena), was in two boxed sets, and was in Mirage, Tempest,
Urza's Saga, and Mercadian Masques to boot.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:59:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

omg, this is embarrasing. however, thanks to david de kloet and simon
nejmann for pointing out to me that theres NO 'counterspell' in sky slam. i
apologize. must be because i was writing that msg at 4.42am, plus i love
counterspell soooo much. lol.

i suppose simon is right. i was assuming that counterspell, disenchant, etc,
is like, an ultrabasic card, like lands. because it's been appearing a whole
bunch of times in most sets.

thanks for point it out for me, dudes. so no vanilla cspell in 8th ed, huh?
crud. :( 
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 3:21:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:

> TE=tempest, and so forth. im just curious what S1 and S2 is.

The first and second starter set?

--

David
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:11:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

>
> ...Gatherer (gatherer.wizards.com) says it -was- in Starter 2000,
> however.

but the thing is, in apprentice, there an S1 as well! Starter 1000? i think
not. lol. anyway apprentice doesnt have a very comprehensive help file. it
only explains the basic usage of functions, etc. theres no explanations of
initials, though 99% of 'em ARE understandable. like MM= mercadian masques,
TE=tempest, and so forth. im just curious what S1 and S2 is.

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:11:11 +0800, The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>> ...Gatherer (gatherer.wizards.com) says it -was- in Starter 2000,
>> however.
>
>but the thing is, in apprentice, there an S1 as well! Starter 1000? i think
>not.

No, just "Starter". There was a Starter and a Starter 2000; there was a Portal,
a Portal Second Age, and a Portal Three Kingdoms. Perhaps understandably, I'm
not surprised if Apprentice labels them "S1, S2" and "P1, P2, P3"...

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:25:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

David de Kloet wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:
>
>> TE=tempest, and so forth. im just curious what S1 and S2 is.
>
> The first and second starter set?

seriously, i have no idea!
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:25:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:25:07 +0800, "The Dude"
<thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:

>David de Kloet wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:
>>
>>> TE=tempest, and so forth. im just curious what S1 and S2 is.
>>
>> The first and second starter set?
>
>seriously, i have no idea!

Ok, try to look up Angelic Blessing. It appeared in:
Portal
Portal Second Age
Starter 1999
Starter 2000
Exodus

You could also try to look up some of the S1 and S2 cards in Gatherer
<http://gatherer.wizards.com/&gt; to see what sets they were in (if David
is right, they will all be in Starter 1999 or Starter 2000,
respectively).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:18:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

Simon Nejmann wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:25:07 +0800, "The Dude"
> <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>
>> David de Kloet wrote:
>>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, The Dude wrote:
>>>
>>>> TE=tempest, and so forth. im just curious what S1 and S2 is.
>>>
>>> The first and second starter set?
>>
>> seriously, i have no idea!
>
> Ok, try to look up Angelic Blessing. It appeared in:
> Portal
> Portal Second Age
> Starter 1999
> Starter 2000
> Exodus
>
> You could also try to look up some of the S1 and S2 cards in Gatherer
> <http://gatherer.wizards.com/&gt; to see what sets they were in (if David
> is right, they will all be in Starter 1999 or Starter 2000,
> respectively).

sez here, EX,P1,P2,S1,S2 (common)
so im assuming its EXODUS, PORTAL, PORTAL 2ND AGE, STARTER 1999(?), STARTER
2000(?) respectively. well, i guess S1 and S2 means starter 1999 and Starter
2000 respectively.

p.s: whats starter 1999 2000?

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:18:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>sez here, EX,P1,P2,S1,S2 (common)
>so im assuming its EXODUS, PORTAL, PORTAL 2ND AGE, STARTER 1999(?), STARTER
>2000(?) respectively. well, i guess S1 and S2 means starter 1999 and Starter
>2000 respectively.
>
>p.s: whats starter 1999 2000?

Okay. You know how WotC labels the expansions as "Expert" sets, and the main
set, with its restricted set of abilities and simpler cards, "Advanced"? On
that scale, Starter and Portal were "Beginner" sets. Quite literally. I wasn't
kidding when I said Starter didn't have artifacts or enchantments (which was
why I was initially confused); it was all Creature and Sorcery spells, plus
the five basic lands, and three Instants that were there so there could be
countering spells. Portal, similarly, was just Creature and Sorcery cards,
though some of the Sorceries said "play only in response to another spell" or
the like.

Anyway, they were sets meant to help extreme newbie people start playing
without too much trouble from the rules or the variety of cards. Unfortunately,
"Starter" was a fairly bad name to pick for an expansion, even a beginning one,
because what WotC now calls "tournament packs" had been called "starter decks"
for several years at that point...

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:21:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

David DeLaney wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:11:11 +0800, The Dude
> <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>>> ...Gatherer (gatherer.wizards.com) says it -was- in Starter 2000,
>>> however.
>>
>> but the thing is, in apprentice, there an S1 as well! Starter 1000?
>> i think not.
>
> No, just "Starter". There was a Starter and a Starter 2000; there was
> a Portal, a Portal Second Age, and a Portal Three Kingdoms. Perhaps
> understandably, I'm not surprised if Apprentice labels them "S1, S2"
> and "P1, P2, P3"...
>
> Dave

i see. thanks for your explanations. you really cleared things up for a guy.
thanks again, guys.
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:59:07 +0800, "The Dude"
<thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:

>
>thanks for point it out for me, dudes. so no vanilla cspell in 8th ed, huh?

Nope. Not only would it ruin all the fun, I guess they were afraid of
what Counterspell could do with cards like Isochron Sceptre that were
in the works for Mirrodin when 8th came out.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 9:47:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

Mark Landin wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:59:07 +0800, "The Dude"
> <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> thanks for point it out for me, dudes. so no vanilla cspell in 8th
>> ed, huh?
>
> Nope. Not only would it ruin all the fun, I guess they were afraid of
> what Counterspell could do with cards like Isochron Sceptre that were
> in the works for Mirrodin when 8th came out.

thats one crazy @ss card, dude!! seriously!!!! what were they smoking when
they thought of that card?! you know what i think? i think all the colors
should have a single staple card for each color. my idea:

white- disenchant
blue- counterspell
red- shock
black- terror
green- giant growth
brown- *cant think of any*
gold- *uhh...*

at least, thats my two cents. i think this topic must've popped up a dozen
times.. hehe.

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"
!