Palm Vx address book: data loss with Palm Desktop 4.1.4

July 11, 2005 6:35:05 PM

I have a Palm Vx, running PalmOS ver. 3.5.3. I recently upgraded
from Palm Desktop 4.0.1 to Palm Desktop 4.1.4.

One of the new features of this version of the Palm Desktop was the
ability to distingish between a "Work Address" and a "Home Address".

However, when I synchronize this version of Palm Desktop with my Palm,
the "Home Adress" does not appear on the handheld device. (It is
retained in the Palm Desktop DB tho'.)

I understand that this is because the old version of address
book running on my ancient Palm Vx doesn't know about home
addresses.

But is there a way to fix this? Is there an upgrade or a third
party software that will make the address book on the Palm Vx
fully compatible with Palm Desktop 4.1.4?
"Don't follow leaders // Watch the parkin' meters" - Bob Dylan
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:51:14 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:35:05 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
<gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>I have a Palm Vx, running PalmOS ver. 3.5.3. I recently upgraded
>from Palm Desktop 4.0.1 to Palm Desktop 4.1.4.
>
>One of the new features of this version of the Palm Desktop was the
>ability to distingish between a "Work Address" and a "Home Address".
>
>However, when I synchronize this version of Palm Desktop with my Palm,
>the "Home Adress" does not appear on the handheld device. (It is
>retained in the Palm Desktop DB tho'.)
>
>I understand that this is because the old version of address
>book running on my ancient Palm Vx doesn't know about home
>addresses.
>
>But is there a way to fix this? Is there an upgrade or a third
>party software that will make the address book on the Palm Vx
>fully compatible with Palm Desktop 4.1.4?

I used to have a Palm Vx with Palmos 3.5.3. I think the address book
entry that you are thinking of is added when you upgrade the eeprom of
the palm to 4.x. Just upgrading the palm desktop won't do it.

A note about upgrading: You may need to DOWNGRADE your palm desktop
first, otherwise the palmos upgrade software crashes with some stupid
error that doesn't make any sense (like a missing DLL that is in fact
present, and in the correct location).

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA
freeze@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:09:22 PM

Matthew Fries <Nobody@home.com> writes:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:35:05 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr

>> I have a Palm Vx, running PalmOS ver. 3.5.3. I recently upgraded
>> from Palm Desktop 4.0.1 to Palm Desktop 4.1.4.
>>
>> One of the new features of this version of the Palm Desktop was the
>> ability to distingish between a "Work Address" and a "Home Address".
>>
>> However, when I synchronize this version of Palm Desktop with my Palm,
>> the "Home Adress" does not appear on the handheld device. (It is
>> retained in the Palm Desktop DB tho'.)
>>
>> I understand that this is because the old version of address
>> book running on my ancient Palm Vx doesn't know about home
>> addresses.
>>
>> But is there a way to fix this? Is there an upgrade or a third
>> party software that will make the address book on the Palm Vx
>> fully compatible with Palm Desktop 4.1.4?

> I used to have a Palm Vx with Palmos 3.5.3. I think the address book
> entry that you are thinking of is added when you upgrade the eeprom
> of the palm to 4.x. Just upgrading the palm desktop won't do it.
>
> A note about upgrading: You may need to DOWNGRADE your palm desktop
> first, otherwise the palmos upgrade software crashes with some
> stupid error that doesn't make any sense (like a missing DLL that is
> in fact present, and in the correct location).

Thanks for your reply. Is there an EEPROM upgrade to PalmOS 4.x for
the Palm Vx? I am only able to find PalmOS 3.5.3 on PalmOne's support
web: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/palm_older.... .

Any pointers to a place where I can get this upgrade will be
appreciated. I still have the 4.0.1 Desktop installer, so a
downgrade before flashing will not be a problem.
"Don't follow leaders // Watch the parkin' meters" - Bob Dylan
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:40:48 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:09:22 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
<gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply. Is there an EEPROM upgrade to PalmOS 4.x for
>the Palm Vx? I am only able to find PalmOS 3.5.3 on PalmOne's support
>web: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/palm_older.... .
>
>Any pointers to a place where I can get this upgrade will be
>appreciated. I still have the 4.0.1 Desktop installer, so a
>downgrade before flashing will not be a problem.

There is an EEPROM upgrade, but it's not free. It may no longer be
available from PalmOne. It upgrades to PalmOS 4.1.

You might be able to do a little searching for it (Google).
....or you can ask in alt.binaries.wares.palmpilot.

When I upgraded my Vx, I had to use a REALLY old version of Palm
Desktop. Even 4.01 was too new. I found an old Palm V CD at work, and
it installed palm desktop ver 2.something. That seemed to work.

When upgrading the Palmos, here is what I suggest:

- Hotsync with your version of palm desktop to backup the handheld
- Hard reset the palm to completely clear it.
- install OLD palm desktop in a different directory (I installed it on
a completely different machine!).
- Run the palmos upgrade .exe file. It will walk you through doing a
hotsync, and backup and everything, but you have already done that
anyway. It then upgrades the OS on the palm, and tries to restore your
stuff (since you didn't have anything, it goes quick).
- remove the OLD palm desktop software
- Hotsync to restore all your stuff
- upgrade your current palmdesktop to the new version you want to use.

4.1 eats up just a little bit more of ram than 3.5.3. does. It mostly
has more communication utilities for talking with cellphones....

Oh, and that extra field you wanted in Datebook. :)

!