Gatherer (WAS Sensei Golden-Tail and Takeno, Samurai Gener..

On 19 Oct 2004 22:29:31 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
wrote:

>If you cast AEther Snap ... hmmm, Gatherer/Oracle Error Detected, lemme
>write in about it: ...okay, they've fixed that error - the file I got from
>10/5 didn't have any of the AE-starting cards in it, while the file that's
>there now does - but I put the other problems to them, the il-Dal/en-Dal/en-Vec
>/il-Vec/en-Kor stuff and the nonASCII characters and the extra spaces at the
>ends of lines ... anyway, let me start again:

I'm also having probs with the aeRathi Berserker. It won't show the
pic.

And those extra spaces are a real pain for copying and pasting. Could
it be due to rendering in the browser though? I know that I've copied
other things from other web pages, and VERY often seen trailing spaces
at the end of lines.

Thanks,

Rick

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:18:42 -0700, Rick Kunkel
<NOSPAM-kunkel@w-link.net> wrote:

>On 19 Oct 2004 22:29:31 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
>wrote:
>
>>If you cast AEther Snap ... hmmm, Gatherer/Oracle Error Detected, lemme
>>write in about it: ...okay, they've fixed that error - the file I got from
>>10/5 didn't have any of the AE-starting cards in it, while the file that's
>>there now does - but I put the other problems to them, the il-Dal/en-Dal/en-Vec
>>/il-Vec/en-Kor stuff and the nonASCII characters and the extra spaces at the
>>ends of lines ... anyway, let me start again:
>
>I'm also having probs with the aeRathi Berserker. It won't show the
>pic.
>
>And those extra spaces are a real pain for copying and pasting. Could
>it be due to rendering in the browser though? I know that I've copied
>other things from other web pages, and VERY often seen trailing spaces
>at the end of lines.

Naah, it's because somebody didn't care about the "view as Oracle
spoiler" output code they wrote.

Card names _always_ has 1 trailing space.
Mana costs has 3.
The type line has 4 when the card dosn't have a subtype, 3 when it
does.
Power/toughness has 3 trailing spaces.
And finally, the last ability on the card has 2 - if the card has no
abilities these will show up on a line of their own.

Not much to do, except hope that the Gatherer programmers start
caring, or possibly create your own pre/post (?) processor that eats
the worst kinks and spits out a "normal" Oracle file (of course, the
second solution can not put back the symbol-denoting {}s).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Simon Nejmann wrote:

> Not much to do, except hope that the Gatherer programmers start
> caring, or possibly create your own pre/post (?) processor that eats
> the worst kinks and spits out a "normal" Oracle file (of course, the
> second solution can not put back the symbol-denoting {}s).

Hi,

I tried to make a 'fixed' oralce file in the old style. Even including
the {}s around the symbols! You can find at

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dskloet/magic/oracle.zip

My intent was to make it exactly the same as the old oracle file would
have been but I don't expect it to be perfect yet so just tell me if
something's different.

I also use the new file for my database so you can also take a look
there: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dskloet/magic

I hope you like it :)

David

peter

That's helpful. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll text-compare it
with the old Oracle. This should help show any discrepencies.

Peter

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:41:19 +0200, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Simon Nejmann wrote:
>
>> Not much to do, except hope that the Gatherer programmers start
>> caring, or possibly create your own pre/post (?) processor that eats
>> the worst kinks and spits out a "normal" Oracle file (of course, the
>> second solution can not put back the symbol-denoting {}s).

>I tried to make a 'fixed' oralce file in the old style. Even including
>the {}s around the symbols! You can find at
>
>http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dskloet/magic/oracle.zip
>
>My intent was to make it exactly the same as the old oracle file would
>have been but I don't expect it to be perfect yet so just tell me if
>something's different.
>
>I also use the new file for my database so you can also take a look
>there: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dskloet/magic

Hmm, you fixed the forest, but my quick check revealed:

Karplusan Forest
Land
{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
{T}: Add R or {G} to your mana pool. ~this~ deals 1 damage to you.

Second ability should be: ... Add {R} ...

Oh, and apparently unglued cards uses "ocT" for tap symbol...?

Goblin Bookie
{R}
Creature -- Goblin
1/1
{R}, ocT: Reflip any coin or reroll any die.

There is also a problem with "B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)" - the two
halves are identical.

Also does Taiga look kinda wierd (no ability), or is it just me?

Taiga
Land -- Mountain Forest

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:02:40 +0200, Simon Nejmann
<snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:

Ooh, new one:

Mana Chains
{U}
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has "Cumulative upkeep 1."

.... upkeep {1}

Am I evil if I begin to think that finding errors is funny :)

But overall you have done a much better job of adding {}'s than I
would have thought possible (through automated means).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

peter

Some cards that are different in your Oracle. I've listed them here
as they appeared in the previous Oracle:

Several things with Morph.
Several things with Flashback.

Aboroth
{4}{G}{G}
Creature -- Aboroth
9/9
Cumulative upkeep -- Put a -1/-1 counter on Aboroth.

Adarkar Unicorn
{1}{W}{W}
Creature -- Unicorn
2/2
{T}: Add either {U} or {1}{U} to your mana pool.

Arcades Sabboth
{2}{G}{G}{W}{W}{U}{U}
Creature -- Elder Dragon Legend
7/7
Flying
Untapped nonattacking creatures you control get +0/+2.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Arcades Sabboth unless you
pay {G}{W}{U}.
{W}: Arcades Sabboth gets +0/+1 until end of turn.

Aura Flux
{2}{U}
Enchantment
All other enchantments have "At the beginning of your upkeep,
sacrifice this enchantment unless you pay {2}."

Auriok Steelshaper
{1}{W}
Creature -- Human Soldier
1/1
Equip costs you pay cost {1} less.
As long as Auriok Steelshaper is equipped, Soldiers and Knights you
control get +1/+1.

Binding Grasp
{3}{U}
Enchant Creature
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Binding Grasp unless you
pay {1}{U}.
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +0/+1.

Breeding Pit
{3}{B}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Breeding Pit unless you pay
{B}{B}. At the end of your turn, put a 0/1 black Thrull creature token
into play.

Brine Seer
{3}{U}
Creature -- Wizard
1/1
{2}{U}, {T}: Reveal any number of blue cards in your hand. Counter
target spell unless its controller pays {1} for each card revealed
this way.

Er... I only got through B.

Peter

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Simon Nejmann wrote:

> Hmm, you fixed the forest, but my quick check revealed:

That's the only thing I did by hand :).

> Karplusan Forest
> Land
> {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
> {T}: Add R or {G} to your mana pool. ~this~ deals 1 damage to you.
>
> Second ability should be: ... Add {R} ...
>
> Oh, and apparently unglued cards uses "ocT" for tap symbol...?
>
> Goblin Bookie
> {R}
> Creature -- Goblin
> 1/1
> {R}, ocT: Reflip any coin or reroll any die.

I fixed those (and Mana Chains).

> There is also a problem with "B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)" - the two
> halves are identical.

Have identical names you mean?
Yes, this is a problem. How do you propose I fix it?

> Also does Taiga look kinda wierd (no ability), or is it just me?

That's correct, duallands don't have explicit abilities. Their
function comes from their subtypes. (Already in previous oracle-files)

Thanks for your input,
David

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:10:04 +0200, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Simon Nejmann wrote:

>> There is also a problem with "B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)" - the two
>> halves are identical.
>
>Have identical names you mean?
>Yes, this is a problem. How do you propose I fix it?

They actually look like:

B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)
Summon The Biggest, Baddest, Nastiest,
You must play both B.F.M. cards to put
leaves play, sacrifice the other.
B.F.M. can be blocked only by three or

B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Scariest Creature You'll Ever See
99/99
B.F.M. into play. If either B.F.M. card
more creatures.

In your database they are identical (except for the names):

B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)
{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}
Scariest Creature You'll Ever See
99/99
B.F.M. into play. If either B.F.M. card
more creatures.

B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)2
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Scariest Creature You'll Ever See
99/99
B.F.M. into play. If either B.F.M. card
more creatures.

I don't know what to do about the names, perhaps you could call them
"B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)
" and
, or 1 and 2, or
something - or you could leave them identical, if it dosn't mess up
the database. But you should try to fix the bodies.

BTW, just for fun, I can mention that Gatherers autocard window also
messes up on these - it too only shows the right (as opposed to left,
not wrong :) card...

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann​

Peter sez:

<<
>Adarkar Unicorn
>{1}{W}{W}
>Creature -- Unicorn
>2/2
>{T}: Add either {U} or {1}{U} to your mana pool.

I'm pretty sure AU has the cumulative upkeep restriction on it. So it would
also have "Spend this mana only to pay for cumulative upkeep."

<<
>Breeding Pit
>{3}{B}
>Enchantment
>At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Breeding Pit unless you pay
>{B}{B}. At the end of your turn, put a 0/1 black Thrull creature token
>into play.

Wait...is this two separate abilities, or one big long one?

----
"Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny."
"No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey."
Tucker Carlson v. Jon Stewart, Crossfire, 10/15

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Peter wrote:

> Some cards that are different in your Oracle. I've listed them here
> as they appeared in the previous Oracle:

Thanks, I've fixed them. The newest version can still be found at:

David de Kloet wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Peter wrote:
>
>> Some cards that are different in your Oracle. I've listed them here
>> as they appeared in the previous Oracle:
>

> Thanks, I've fixed them. The newest version can still be found at:
>
> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dskloet/magic/oracle.zip

There are still some errors:

* Characters following a dash (-) have been mistaken for mana symbols,
"non-Wall", for instance, has become "non-{W}all"

* Split card casting costs like "G // W" aren't recognized

* Less obvious costs like "unless you pay X" have been missed

* One dice roll on Spark Fiend has been misinterpreted...

I had already started writing my own tool when you first posted your
fixed list and today I finished it, more or less. I almost gave up when
I got to Spark Fiend, though... :cool:

The result is here:
http://cgi.algonet.se/htbin/cgiwrap/ug/show.py?script=oraclean.py
Feel free to use it if you like (and can; I realise Python isn't on as
many computers as it should be). But prepare for regexp hell if you want
to change anything...

I haven't dealt with the non-basic Forest etc (they must have come in
with Unglued, right?) or the B.F.M. Any other bug reports are welcome.

I've been reading lots of diff output today. You might think that the
biggest change this time would be the Wall/Defender stuff, or maybe the
new Legendary modifier, but no... I think most differences were due to
the subtle change that you no longer discard cards from your hand, you
just discard!

And then Unglued has been brought in, as-is, without any adapting to
current rules.
Nalathni Dragon used to have a modified text but that has been lost. Oh
well, maybe cards have to be allowed in at least one tournament type to
have errata...

Finally, Mwonvuli Ooze has become weaker! I checked the rules to see if
they had changed the C.U. wording, but no...

/ug

peter

Does anyone know if they are planning to fix this at some point in
Gatherer and are just busy doing other things? Or are they satisfied
with what's there?

Just wondering.
Peter