Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help deciding between AMD a6+SSD or corei5

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 17, 2012 10:59:33 PM

Well, need to know what would be a better computer for gaming and general work. some CAD stuff too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

and add a SSD to that (patriot pyro 128)

or should i go for this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Bigj
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2012 11:03:33 PM

bigj231 said:
Well, need to know what would be a better computer for gaming and general work. some CAD stuff too.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

and add a SSD to that (patriot pyro 128)

or should i go for this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Bigj


Hi :) 

They are both decent machine for office work and general stuff, but not for games or Autocad.....you need to add around another $2000 for that....

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2012 11:09:34 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

They are both decent machine for office work and general stuff, but not for games or Autocad.....you need to add around another $2000 for that....

All the best Brett :) 


Only problem is I've only got $600. I guess I should revise my statement to "light gaming".
Related resources
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2012 11:16:00 PM

bigj231 said:
Only problem is I've only got $600. I guess I should revise my statement to "light gaming".


Hi :) 

That was a good intelligent answer... also revise it to light Cad work as well :) 

All the best Brett :) 
a c 248 D Laptop
February 17, 2012 11:18:06 PM

Hi :) 

Just had another thought...

If you buy a second hand laptop for your $600 you will get a LOT more laptop....something like a Dell XPS ..Which originally would have cost over $1000 plus...

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2012 11:40:10 PM

I would really prefer to buy new. The way I look at it, there's a reason why they're trying to get rid of the laptop, and I've been shafted on eBay multiple times. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but I'd like some assurances that it won't die 2 months later.

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound too negative. I really do appreciate the help.
a c 248 D Laptop
February 18, 2012 12:07:51 AM

bigj231 said:
I would really prefer to buy new. The way I look at it, there's a reason why they're trying to get rid of the laptop, and I've been shafted on eBay multiple times. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but I'd like some assurances that it won't die 2 months later.

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound too negative. I really do appreciate the help.


Hi :) 

Oops, I meant a "DELL REFURBISHED" one..with A guarantee....


All the best Brett :) 
February 18, 2012 12:18:35 AM

Ah. Now it makes sense. Thanks.
February 18, 2012 12:48:58 AM

The Dell refurbs that I can find are all above my budget, or a lesser computer than the ones specified.

I just need to try to decide between an lintel i5 or an AMD a6 or A8 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KP0XIO/ref=ox_sc_a...
Free 2 day shipping makes that a tempting offer...
a c 248 D Laptop
February 18, 2012 12:56:14 AM

Hi :) 

Most companies do free shipping on a laptop...

All the best Brett :) 
February 18, 2012 1:37:18 AM

Thanks for the help, but the question still remains, should I choose an inexpensive AMD and put a SSD in it, or get an i5/i7 with a HDD?
I don't think I can swing the extra cash for a dedicated graphics card (I have a desktop to do the intense stuff at home anyway), so the under $600 price tag is the most important feature to me right now.

Best solution

February 18, 2012 7:30:31 AM
Share

For very basic gaming, the A6/A8 have both proven to be far more capable the an the Intel IGP.
February 19, 2012 1:03:52 PM

Thanks. I'll probably get the AMD with a SSD then.
February 19, 2012 1:04:03 PM

Best answer selected by bigj231.
!