Word Document

When I open a blank Word document it opens with information on it that I had
pasted on it days before. It has the info that I pasted on it to save to my
Documents. Now I can't get a clean , clear Word Page. Help
10 answers Last reply
More about word document

    Try this:
    Close MS Word then go to C:\Documents and
    Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    and find the file Normal.dot

    Rename it to Normal.tod (If you have to get it back you
    can just rename it back. You won't need it).

    This is the template file that Word uses when it opens a
    new document. Word will re-create the file (the default
    file = blank) on-the-fly the next time you open Word

    Good Luck !

    I found a word Document file named (Normal) I renamed it (Normal.tod) and
    the problem was resolved. Thanks

    "MGGP" wrote:

    > Try this:
    > Close MS Word then go to C:\Documents and
    > Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    > and find the file Normal.dot
    >
    > Rename it to Normal.tod (If you have to get it back you
    > can just rename it back. You won't need it).
    >
    > This is the template file that Word uses when it opens a
    > new document. Word will re-create the file (the default
    > file = blank) on-the-fly the next time you open Word
    >
    > Good Luck !

    You are very welcome. You can delete that normal.tod file
    now . . .

    It sounds like you're opening a template you created.

    "Puerto Plata" <Puerto Plata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I open a blank Word document it opens with information on it that I
    had
    > pasted on it days before. It has the info that I pasted on it to save to
    my
    > Documents. Now I can't get a clean , clear Word Page. Help

    You can (and could have) delete(d) that .dot file. as it gets replaced
    anyway (in your profile folder) when you open Word again.

    >I found a word Document file named (Normal) I renamed it (Normal.tod) and
    > the problem was resolved. Thanks
    >
    > "MGGP" wrote:
    >

    >> Try this:
    >> Close MS Word then go to C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >> and find the file Normal.dot
    >>
    >> Rename it to Normal.tod (If you have to get it back you
    >> can just rename it back. You won't need it).
    >>
    >> This is the template file that Word uses when it opens a
    >> new document. Word will re-create the file (the default
    >> file = blank) on-the-fly the next time you open Word
    >>
    >> Good Luck !

    On my computer, I would have deleted the normal.dot file.

    But on someone else's computer, I play it safe - never
    erase something on someone else's computer if you don't
    have to - renaming it accomplishes the same goal and gives
    you a path to get back to where you were if you need to.
    You can always erase it later. If you erase it first and
    then discover that you need it, you're screwed.

    That's not the kind of screwing I like. ;-)

    wrote in message
    >>I found a word Document file named (Normal) I renamed
    it (Normal.tod) and
    >> the problem was resolved. Thanks
    >>
    >> "MGGP" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Try this:
    >>> Close MS Word then go to C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\yourusername\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >>> and find the file Normal.dot
    >>>
    >>> Rename it to Normal.tod (If you have to get it back you
    >>> can just rename it back. You won't need it).
    >>>
    >>> This is the template file that Word uses when it opens
    >>> new document. Word will re-create the file (the
    default
    >>> file = blank) on-the-fly the next time you open Word
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck !

    So, the OP's normal.dot was already screwed, and deleting it is the only way
    to remedy what problem the OP had.

    "MGGP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > On my computer, I would have deleted the normal.dot file.
    >
    > But on someone else's computer, I play it safe - never
    > erase something on someone else's computer if you don't
    > have to - renaming it accomplishes the same goal and gives
    > you a path to get back to where you were if you need to.
    > You can always erase it later. If you erase it first and
    > then discover that you need it, you're screwed.
    >
    > That's not the kind of screwing I like. ;-)

    I double click on any of the icons on my desktop and they won't open. I click
    on start and try to open it that way and they don't open.
    I cannot use internet explorer, also. I can only use sbc yahoo.dsl.

    Whenever I click on a blank page in Microsoft Office Word 2003, a peviously
    saved memo come up (the same memo every time). The only way that I have been
    able to get a black page is to cut the memo on the screen, type my text and
    then click on "save as". Any help will be much appreciated.

    "Nancy" wrote:

    > I double click on any of the icons on my desktop and they won't open. I click
    > on start and try to open it that way and they don't open.
    > I cannot use internet explorer, also. I can only use sbc yahoo.dsl.

    How do I do this with Windows XP. I can get to my documents but how do I get
    to Application Data/, etc. Thanks

    "MGGP" wrote:

    > Try this:
    > Close MS Word then go to C:\Documents and
    > Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    > and find the file Normal.dot
    >
    > Rename it to Normal.tod (If you have to get it back you
    > can just rename it back. You won't need it).
    >
    > This is the template file that Word uses when it opens a
    > new document. Word will re-create the file (the default
    > file = blank) on-the-fly the next time you open Word
    >
    > Good Luck !

Support Document Microsoft Windows XP