computer often freezes when on internet

Hi My Dell 3000 computer is about 3 months old. I have DSL internet. The
computer often freezes when on I'm using the internet. The computer has
internet explorer 6.0. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I can do
to prevent this? Thank you Linn
1 answer Last reply
More about computer freezes internet

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Linn" <Linn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi My Dell 3000 computer is about 3 months old. I have DSL internet. The
    > computer often freezes when on I'm using the internet. The computer has
    > internet explorer 6.0. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I can
    > do
    > to prevent this? Thank you Linn

Computers Internet Windows XP