CD-RW READING AND WRITING PROBLEM

Hey, I am having problems with my cd-rw , it won't read blank discs, it will
read pre-used discs but will not let me burn to or put any form of file or
music on to it.... gives a message " cannot copy files on to this cd-rom
drive... read only" , the cd-rw is a LG, HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B... anybody
have any ideas on how to fix this or why this is happening????
thanx to n e 1 who can help.....
3 answers Last reply
More about reading writing problem

    You can not drop files to a cd rom automatically. You need software such as
    Nero Incd or Roxio Direct CD. It might be easier if you just create a data
    disc and burn the files that way.

    Newtechie

    "ryper81" <ryper81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am having problems with my cd-rw , it won't read blank discs, it
    will
    > read pre-used discs but will not let me burn to or put any form of file or
    > music on to it.... gives a message " cannot copy files on to this cd-rom
    > drive... read only" , the cd-rw is a LG, HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B...
    anybody
    > have any ideas on how to fix this or why this is happening????
    > thanx to n e 1 who can help.....

    hey, one thing I'm a little confused about is that this is only a recent
    thing, ive been using the cd-rw for a year and a half and before now Ive been
    able to do everything i needed it to, jus about 4 weeks ago it stopped
    reading blank discs and not burning or saving......

    "Newtechie" wrote:

    > You can not drop files to a cd rom automatically. You need software such as
    > Nero Incd or Roxio Direct CD. It might be easier if you just create a data
    > disc and burn the files that way.
    >
    > Newtechie
    >
    > "ryper81" <ryper81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey, I am having problems with my cd-rw , it won't read blank discs, it
    > will
    > > read pre-used discs but will not let me burn to or put any form of file or
    > > music on to it.... gives a message " cannot copy files on to this cd-rom
    > > drive... read only" , the cd-rw is a LG, HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B...
    > anybody
    > > have any ideas on how to fix this or why this is happening????
    > > thanx to n e 1 who can help.....

    Hey Ryper81,

    Have you tried a system restore to a prior date to when it was working? The
    downfall to that is that you'll lose any programs that you've installed
    after that point.

    > hey, one thing I'm a little confused about is that this is only a recent
    > thing, ive been using the cd-rw for a year and a half and before now Ive
    been
    > able to do everything i needed it to, jus about 4 weeks ago it stopped
    > reading blank discs and not burning or saving......
    >
    > "Newtechie" wrote:
    >
    > > You can not drop files to a cd rom automatically. You need software
    such as
    > > Nero Incd or Roxio Direct CD. It might be easier if you just create a
    data
    > > disc and burn the files that way.
    > >
    > > Newtechie
    > >
    > > "ryper81" <ryper81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hey, I am having problems with my cd-rw , it won't read blank discs,
    it
    > > will
    > > > read pre-used discs but will not let me burn to or put any form of
    file or
    > > > music on to it.... gives a message " cannot copy files on to this
    cd-rom
    > > > drive... read only" , the cd-rw is a LG, HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B...
    > > anybody
    > > > have any ideas on how to fix this or why this is happening????
    > > > thanx to n e 1 who can help.....

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP