Question about flip-cards' wording

Is there a reason they're worded like this.....

Card Name: Orochi Eggwatcher
Cost: 2G
Type: Creature — Snake Shaman
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Rules Text: 2G, T: Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token into play.
If you control ten or more creatures, flip Orochi Eggwatcher.

instead of like this.....

2G, T: Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token into play, then, if you
control ten or more creatures, flip Orochi Eggwatcher.

It seems I see a lot of questions about the flip-cards regarding their
flip condition. Having it stand as a sentence by itself ("If you
control ten...") does kind of make it seem like it's continuous effect
watching the current game state, at first glance anyway. It seems to me
that they might have been clearer if they had used the "Then" template.

--Brent

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:00:55 -0600, B M <somebody@somewhere.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason they're worded like this.....

> Rules Text: 2G, T: Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token into play.
> If you control ten or more creatures, flip Orochi Eggwatcher.
>
>instead of like this.....
>
>2G, T: Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token into play, then, if you
>control ten or more creatures, flip Orochi Eggwatcher.

Mainly that if the sentences get too long, the players' eyes start crossing
trying to untangle them.

> It seems I see a lot of questions about the flip-cards regarding their
>flip condition. Having it stand as a sentence by itself ("If you
>control ten...") does kind of make it seem like it's continuous effect
>watching the current game state, at first glance anyway. It seems to me
>that they might have been clearer if they had used the "Then" template.

Well, they're not any different than anything else in this - to get it to be
a separate static ability, it would have to get separated and be on its own
line / paragraph. (And yes, there's not enough room to do that on the flip
cards; if they had needed to do it, though, they would have found the room to
do so.)

Dave

TRENDING THREADS