Lands as Creatures not untapping

Here's the situation: I have a Soilshaper out and three untapped lands. My
opponent has an Orochi Ranger out. I play a Dripping-Tongue Zubera out and
one of my lands becomes a 3/3 creature. I attack with the land and it is
blocked by the Ranger. At the end of my turn, it reverts back to a land and
is no longer a creature. Does it untap?

thanks,

Orochi Ranger
{1}{G}
Creature -- Snake Warrior
2/1
Whenever ~this~ deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and it
doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Soilshaper
{1}{G}
Creature -- Spirit
1/1
Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, target land becomes a 3/3 creature
until end of turn. It's still a land.

--
In vino veritas
http://openwine.net

Kevin, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...

> Here's the situation: I have a Soilshaper out and three untapped lands. My
> opponent has an Orochi Ranger out. I play a Dripping-Tongue Zubera out and
> one of my lands becomes a 3/3 creature. I attack with the land and it is
> blocked by the Ranger. At the end of my turn, it reverts back to a land and
> is no longer a creature. Does it untap?

No, it doesn't untap.

202.2a If an ability of an object uses a phrase such as "this
[something]" to identify an object, where [something] is a category or
characteristic, it is referring to that particular object, even if it
isn't the appropriate category or characteristic at the time.

Example: An ability reads "Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Destroy that creature at end of turn." The ability will destroy the
object it gave +2/+2 at the end of the turn, even if that object isn't a
creature anymore.

> Orochi Ranger
> {1}{G}
> Creature -- Snake Warrior
> 2/1
> Whenever ~this~ deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and it
> doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
>
> Soilshaper
> {1}{G}
> Creature -- Spirit
> 1/1
> Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, target land becomes a 3/3 creature
> until end of turn. It's still a land.

--
Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:01:58 -0600, Kevin <Kevin@astroturfgarden.com> wrote:
>Here's the situation: I have a Soilshaper out and three untapped lands. My
>opponent has an Orochi Ranger out. I play a Dripping-Tongue Zubera out and
>one of my lands becomes a 3/3 creature. I attack with the land and it is
>blocked by the Ranger. At the end of my turn, it reverts back to a land and
>is no longer a creature. Does it untap?
>
>Orochi Ranger >{1}{G} >Creature -- Snake Warrior
>2/1 Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, tap that creature and it
> doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

No. The Ranger's effect says nothing about "doesn't untap during its
controller's next untap step if it's still a creature at that time". The
only part of this effect that cares whether it's a creature is actually the
trigger event - even if the creature has become a non-creature in play in
response to the triggered ability (its Animate Artifact or Living Terrain
fell off, for example), it still gets tapped, and it still doesn't untap
at the appropriate time.

Dave