Newer=better?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
We all know that newer video cards sometimes are not better than its previous cards, right? like Radeon9500Pro is better than Radeon9600Pro
I downloaded Midnight Club 2 yesterday, after installation, I read the "readme" file, it says:

Minimum Hardware Requirements

800 MHz Intel Pentium III or 800 MHz AMD Athlon
or 1.2GHz Intel Celeron or 1.2 GHz AMD Duron processor
128 MB of RAM
4 speed CD / DVD drive
1400 MB of free hard disk space
32 MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce2"/"Radeon 8500" or better)
Sound Card
Keyboard
Mouse

Recommended Hardware Requirements
Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon XP processor
256(+) MB of RAM
16 speed CD / DVD drive
1600 MB of free hard disk space
64(+) MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers
("GeForce 3" / "Radeon 9000" or better)
DirectX compatible sound card with surround sound
Gamepad (USB or Joystick Port)
Keyboard
Mouse

Minimum is Radeon8500, and recommend is a Radeon9000?
From my knowledge, Radeon8500 is faster than Radeon90Pro
I wonder if there are any other games that recommend "slower" card over a "faster" cards? Do they know that Newer isn't necessary better?

But 9000 is a bigger number than 8500, it's obviously better you crack-pot!

Now to go and trade in an R9500Pro for an ASUS 9520.

Mmm 20 points more!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yep, the video card industry sucks

product names that out right LIE to your face

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Methinks you should trade in your GeForce2 Ti for a GeForce4 MX420...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
coulnt you technically Sue a company for "false advertising"?

say im an average computer user. i have GF2TI with ddr ram. i wish to upgrade to a GF4.

now, sinse the GF4 is 2 generations ahead of the GF2, shouldnt the value version STILL be faster than the very outdated GF2? yes that is what the name is meant to make you believe. there NO other purpose to that naming, other than to make you think your getting a GF4.

seems like outright lieing to me.

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen my dealer replace GeForce2 GTS cards with GeForce 4 MX420 cards because the guy wanted to increase his video RAM from 32MB to 64MB. In fact, it's the card he recommends!

In fact, every time someone asked about getting a faster video card, he sells them some form of the GeForce 4 MX 420! Go in there with a GeForce3 Ti500, he'll tell you it's junk, you need a GeForce4 card, and then sell you a 420!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
What a crook! He's probably selling those GF4 MX420s at ridiculous prices too. I'm sure far too many dealers are like that though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's the best part: Since he doesn't know anything about the latest parts, he doesn't even know he's scamming people! I can buy top notch used parts from him cheap sometimes because he has no idea what parts are good and which are junk.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm certain as soon as his distributor tells him the FX cards are the latest thing, the FX5200 it will be!

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Regardless of generation, generally you want to stick to better or the same segment as you are currently using.

Value->Value | Mid->Mid | High->High

If you do anything else you are probally going to be disappointed regardless of the generation leap.

Shadus

Now that Classist! Stick to your own kind don't meddle with the low lifes :tongue: Like a Caste system.

I would think those who were thinking that going from R9500PRo to R9600Pro would be an improvement would likely have been disappointed. As would be the DX7/8.1 gamer going from GF4ti4200-> FX5600non-ultra/Ultra rev.1 (and spending all that dough)

I think no matter what, do research, nothing's guaranteed, and likely the less research you do the less satisfied you will end up being with your purchase. Although you could do ALOT of research and still get a skanky sample of your decided 'perfect' card, just like Jiffy did. :mad:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: