Remote management of PC - best solutions?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in Florida
and I live in California. What would be the best way to remotely
access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on. Last I used
(years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.

His config:
laptop running XP Home
DSL connection
ISP: Bell South

My config:
laptop running XP Pro
cable connection
ISP: Comcast

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
5 answers Last reply
More about remote management solutions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    a free solution is to use VNC
    www.realvnc.com

    if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
    all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know
    the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then you are
    connected

    "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in
    > Florida and I live in California. What would be the best way to remotely
    > access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on. Last I used
    > (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
    >
    > His config:
    > laptop running XP Home
    > DSL connection
    > ISP: Bell South
    >
    > My config:
    > laptop running XP Pro
    > cable connection
    > ISP: Comcast
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high security data link. The native
    VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That is a potential and probable security risk...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer functionality...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:uFnZQV2IFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >a free solution is to use VNC
    > www.realvnc.com
    >
    > if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
    > all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know the other persons IP
    > address) and a password on real vnc, and then you are connected
    >

    > "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in Florida and I live in
    >> California. What would be the best way to remotely access/administer his PC in order to fix
    >> problems and so on. Last I used (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
    >>
    >> His config:
    >> laptop running XP Home
    >> DSL connection
    >> ISP: Bell South
    >>
    >> My config:
    >> laptop running XP Pro
    >> cable connection
    >> ISP: Comcast
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mark

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hi Al and Kenny,

    Would your answer be different if we were using XP Pro on both ends? If so,
    what?

    Thanks to both of you for your responses.
    Mark

    > Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high
    > security data link. The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That is
    > a potential and probable security risk...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >
    > Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer functionality...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >>a free solution is to use VNC
    >> www.realvnc.com
    >>
    >> if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
    >> all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know
    >> the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then you
    >> are connected
    >>

    >> "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in
    >>> Florida and I live in California. What would be the best way to
    >>> remotely access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on.
    >>> Last I used (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
    >>>
    >>> His config:
    >>> laptop running XP Home
    >>> DSL connection
    >>> ISP: Bell South
    >>>
    >>> My config:
    >>> laptop running XP Pro
    >>> cable connection
    >>> ISP: Comcast
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mark

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Yes if your son has XP pro you can connect using REMOTE DESKTOP
    since pro can be remote controlled from all versions of windows as long as
    they
    have the remote desktop client installed. This is built into XP home and Pro
    and is
    a free download from microsoft for win95,98 and Me.

    Have in mind though that using remote desktop on your sons machine will make
    the
    WELCOME screen appear to him (so he will not be watching what you are doing
    on his computer while you are working on it).
    With VNC or app sharing on netmeeting you both will see what is happening
    and
    either one can assume control of the mouse.

    Hope this info helps.... if you want anything else post here...

    kenny

    > Hi Al and Kenny,
    >
    > Would your answer be different if we were using XP Pro on both ends? If
    > so, what?
    >
    > Thanks to both of you for your responses.
    > Mark
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high
    >> security data link. The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That
    >> is a potential and probable security risk...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>
    >> Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer
    >> functionality...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>
    >> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>a free solution is to use VNC
    >>> www.realvnc.com
    >>>
    >>> if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
    >>> all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to
    >>> know the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then
    >>> you are connected
    >>>

    >>> "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    In addition you could also consider Remote Assistance since your both running XP (Home and/or Pro)
    for interactive help sessions...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305608

    Make sure UPnP is enabled on both PCs and on your routers...

    --

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:u6e4NBQJFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Yes if your son has XP pro you can connect using REMOTE DESKTOP
    > since pro can be remote controlled from all versions of windows as long as they
    > have the remote desktop client installed. This is built into XP home and Pro and is
    > a free download from microsoft for win95,98 and Me.
    >
    > Have in mind though that using remote desktop on your sons machine will make the
    > WELCOME screen appear to him (so he will not be watching what you are doing on his computer while
    > you are working on it).
    > With VNC or app sharing on netmeeting you both will see what is happening and
    > either one can assume control of the mouse.
    >
    > Hope this info helps.... if you want anything else post here...
    >

    > kenny
    >

    > "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Al and Kenny,
    >>
    >> Would your answer be different if we were using XP Pro on both ends? If so, what?
    >>
    >> Thanks to both of you for your responses.
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high security data link. The
    >>> native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That is a potential and probable security risk...
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>>
    >>> Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer functionality...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Laptops Internet Service Providers Microsoft Windows XP