Remote management of PC - best solutions?

a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 5:26:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in Florida
and I live in California. What would be the best way to remotely
access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on. Last I used
(years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.

His config:
laptop running XP Home
DSL connection
ISP: Bell South

My config:
laptop running XP Pro
cable connection
ISP: Comcast

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 3:30:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

a free solution is to use VNC
www.realvnc.com

if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know
the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then you are
connected

"Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in
> Florida and I live in California. What would be the best way to remotely
> access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on. Last I used
> (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
>
> His config:
> laptop running XP Home
> DSL connection
> ISP: Bell South
>
> My config:
> laptop running XP Pro
> cable connection
> ISP: Comcast
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 3:30:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high security data link. The native
VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That is a potential and probable security risk...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer functionality...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:uFnZQV2IFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>a free solution is to use VNC
> www.realvnc.com
>
> if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
> all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know the other persons IP
> address) and a password on real vnc, and then you are connected
>

> "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in Florida and I live in
>> California. What would be the best way to remotely access/administer his PC in order to fix
>> problems and so on. Last I used (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
>>
>> His config:
>> laptop running XP Home
>> DSL connection
>> ISP: Bell South
>>
>> My config:
>> laptop running XP Pro
>> cable connection
>> ISP: Comcast
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 5:55:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi Al and Kenny,

Would your answer be different if we were using XP Pro on both ends? If so,
what?

Thanks to both of you for your responses.
Mark

news:o KncIm2IFHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high
> security data link. The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That is
> a potential and probable security risk...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
>
> Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer functionality...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>a free solution is to use VNC
>> www.realvnc.com
>>
>> if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
>> all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to know
>> the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then you
>> are connected
>>

>> "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm setting up a laptop for my son's use. He lives with his mom in
>>> Florida and I live in California. What would be the best way to
>>> remotely access/administer his PC in order to fix problems and so on.
>>> Last I used (years ago) was PCAnywhere on a dial-up.
>>>
>>> His config:
>>> laptop running XP Home
>>> DSL connection
>>> ISP: Bell South
>>>
>>> My config:
>>> laptop running XP Pro
>>> cable connection
>>> ISP: Comcast
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 4:31:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes if your son has XP pro you can connect using REMOTE DESKTOP
since pro can be remote controlled from all versions of windows as long as
they
have the remote desktop client installed. This is built into XP home and Pro
and is
a free download from microsoft for win95,98 and Me.

Have in mind though that using remote desktop on your sons machine will make
the
WELCOME screen appear to him (so he will not be watching what you are doing
on his computer while you are working on it).
With VNC or app sharing on netmeeting you both will see what is happening
and
either one can assume control of the mouse.

Hope this info helps.... if you want anything else post here...

kenny

> Hi Al and Kenny,
>
> Would your answer be different if we were using XP Pro on both ends? If
> so, what?
>
> Thanks to both of you for your responses.
> Mark
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o KncIm2IFHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Better yet is to use VNC, any flavor, through a SSH tunnel for a high
>> security data link. The native VNC data stream is *NOT* encrypted. That
>> is a potential and probable security risk...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
>>
>> Personally I prefer UltraVNC because of its file transfer
>> functionality...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>>a free solution is to use VNC
>>> www.realvnc.com
>>>
>>> if you use it in combination with no-ip www.no-ip.com
>>> all you have to do is type an internet address (instead of having to
>>> know the other persons IP address) and a password on real vnc, and then
>>> you are connected
>>>

>>> "Mark Buckley" <markbuckley3@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 8:20:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

In addition you could also consider Remote Assistance since your both running XP (Home and/or Pro)
for interactive help sessions...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305608

Make sure UPnP is enabled on both PCs and on your routers...

--

!