Psychic Vortex

peter

So, if I Donate a Psychic Vortex on my turn, do I discard at the end
of the turn?

Also, does the cumulative upkeep reset? I don't think so, but I'm
wondering.

I was thinking, you could run the upkeep up, Donate it over and wait
for them to deck themselves. Meanwhile, you could use Feldon's Cane
or something to keep from decking yourself.

Wondering,
Peter

Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> sent:
> So, if I Donate a Psychic Vortex on my turn, do I discard at the end
> of the turn?

Psychic Vortex {2}{U}{U} Enchantment
/ Cumulative upkeep -- Draw a card
/ At the end of your turn, sacrifice a land and discard your hand.

The second ability triggers whenever the PV's controller gets to the
beginning of his or her end step. Usually you'll have donated the
PV before you get to yours, so it won't have triggered for you that
turn. It ought to trigger next at the end of your opponent's turn,
and make him or her sacrifice land and discard cards.

> Also, does the cumulative upkeep reset? I don't think so, but I'm
> wondering.

No, the age counters from the cumulative upkeep stay on the permanent.

> I was thinking, you could run the upkeep up, Donate it over and wait
> for them to deck themselves. Meanwhile, you could use Feldon's Cane
> or something to keep from decking yourself.

Possibly. If you come up with a partial or complete deck idea, you
could mention it on .strategy and see what people there think of it.

--
-- zoe

knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) writes:
> So, if I Donate a Psychic Vortex on my turn, do I discard at the end
> of the turn?

Well, let's take a look at the card:

| Psychic Vortex
| {2}{U}{U}
| Enchantment
| Cumulative upkeep -- Draw a card
| At the end of your turn, sacrifice a land and discard your hand.

Its second ability triggers when its current controller starts an
end-of-turn step. If you don't control it at the end of your turn,
then it doesn't trigger. If your opponent controls it at the end of
his turn, then it triggers then.

> Also, does the cumulative upkeep reset? I don't think so, but I'm
> wondering.

Let's look at the definition:

,----[ Magic Comp Rules ]
| 502.13a Cumulative upkeep is a triggered ability that imposes an
| increasing cost on a permanent. "Cumulative upkeep [cost]" means "At
| the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent,
| then sacrifice this permanent unless you pay [cost] for each age
| counter on it."
`----

There's nothing to remove the age counters when it changes
controllers, so they'll stay there for the opponent's control.

> I was thinking, you could run the upkeep up, Donate it over and wait
> for them to deck themselves. Meanwhile, you could use Feldon's Cane
> or something to keep from decking yourself.

That might not work all that well, as your opponent could always
choose to sacrifice the Vortex instead of paying the cumulative upkeep
cost.

--
Peter C.
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

On 10 Nov 2004 04:17:11 -0800, Peter <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>So, if I Donate a Psychic Vortex on my turn, do I discard at the end
>of the turn?

Psychic Vortex 2UU Enchantment
Cumulative upkeep - Draw a card At the end of your turn, sacrifice a land and
discard your hand.

Not unless, through the magic of Vedalken Orrery or Spellweaver Helix, you had
managed to cast the Donate in response to the Vortex's triggered ability
_during end-of-turn step_. Donate is a Sorcery, so normally will resolve before
the Vortex's second ability ever triggers.

>Also, does the cumulative upkeep reset? I don't think so, but I'm
>wondering.

Counters do not get removed when a permanent changes controllers, in general.
Cumulative upkeep is kept track of by age counters. Therefore there's no
particular reason for it to reset.

Dave