Replacing Heatsink on GF3

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I just bought a hs/fan for my GeForce 3 64MB video, but I am having problems removing the stock heatsink?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the hs without damaging the card in any way?

Thanks.

My Rig:
P4 2.4b
MSI 645E Max-U mobo
1x512MB PC2700 (DDR333)
GeForce3 Ti 200 64MB
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
350W PSU
2x80mm ThermoTake Fans (28C CPU/26C System @ Idle)

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN
:mad:

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Does it have push pins on each side of the original heat sink??If so just press the pin together on the back side of the card and push out the pins.If it is glued on you can take a chance and try to pop it off,you will need a flat tip screw driver and a peace of thin plastic to place on the Video card so you don't damage the board.Twist the screw driver clock wise or use a wedge under it to pry up with steady pressure.It should pop off,on a bad note the top of the chip may splinter and break off the top of the chip.Make sure it is cold not hot when you do this "I,M WARNING YOU NOW;REMOVE HEATSINK AT YOUR ON RISK,IF YOU BREAK IT DON'T BLAME ME".
I,ve been lucky in the past,and never had a chip top to splinter.Good luck.BTW if you doing this to replace the fan just remove the old fan and replace with a 50 mm fan over the old fan slot with metal screws.Good Luck.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
the pushpins are the easy part :)

What worries me is exactly what you said, about the chip splintering, because I don't have the cash flow to replace the card if I accidently damage it. And there is no existing fan, I just wanted to replace the HS with a HS & Fan.

Thanks for the info.

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:
**Finally made Newbie...HAPPY DANCE..HAPPY DANCE..**

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
The fan on my gf2 was glued on too. I didn't really wanna pry it off, so I played UT2k3 for a few minutes on 1280x960 on full detail. I pulled it out immediately and it came off no problem. No prying. I've also heard that if that doesn't work, you can put it in a bag and put it in the freezer for a few minutes, but I've never tried that. Perhaps someone more familiar with the freezer method could help (how long to leave it in there, how safe is it to do that, etc.)

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I amy try your idea of playing something intense before trying to get it off. Hopefully that works.

Thanks for the advice.

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm. UT2K3 on 1280x1024, all settings as high as I could. Played for 10 minutes, shut it down, and it pulled right off.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, how much silver grease should I put on? I have the GPU covered in a layer approx 1mm thick. Looks to be making good contact everywhere. Any advice??

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I think 1mm is too thick. It should be more like .1mm or less. Just enough to fill any imperfections in the contact between the chip and the heat sink when they're smashed against each other (now Hulk <i>SMASH!!!!</i>).

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I could be wrong about how much I used...There was no leakage over the GPU when I mashed them together.

No problems with heat yet. I've played UT2003 (1280x1024, max details) for a bit, and no problems so far.