Last week my computer crashed and I had a Computer tech to save my data and
reinstall windows XP onto my system, when he did he spelt my name wrong in
the registration, now I have a file group with the wrong name under the
documents and settings that I can't change because windows won't let me.
Can I change the registered name or will I have to reinstall windows.

Thanks
Huss

The only one it matters to is you....but here goes
in Control Panel /user accounts create 2 new users call one B and the other
your correct name Make both admin.
Reboot and sign in as B
right click MyComputer/properties/advanced.......User Profiles/settings
Hightlight the mispelled user and click "copy to"
Browse to "documents&settings/correct name
click OK........all of the settings from the mispelled will be transferred
to the correctly spelled user.
OK your way out.
reboot and sign in as the correctly spelled user.
Check to make sure all of the setting took
delete the mispelled user as well as user B
There now dont you feel better??
peterk
"Huss" <dentydog1@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Last week my computer crashed and I had a Computer tech to save my data
> and reinstall windows XP onto my system, when he did he spelt my name
> wrong in the registration, now I have a file group with the wrong name
> under the documents and settings that I can't change because windows won't
> let me. Can I change the registered name or will I have to reinstall
> windows.
>
> Thanks
> Huss

Hi Huss,

Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.
Navigate to the following string and double click on RegisteredOwner
and change the Value Data there.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Huss wrote:
> Last week my computer crashed and I had a Computer tech to save my data and
> reinstall windows XP onto my system, when he did he spelt my name wrong in
> the registration, now I have a file group with the wrong name under the
> documents and settings that I can't change because windows won't let me.
> Can I change the registered name or will I have to reinstall windows.
>
> Thanks
> Huss

However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH