I built an awesome HTPC last year with lots of help from you all here at TH. Now I'm looking for a used laptop for word processing and watching DVD's when I'm away from home. As nice as a home theater-type machine would be, keeping it affordable is more important. I'd also like wi-fi so I can stream Netflix. I'm not sure how much processor power and RAM I even need for low-res DVD playback.
Since I usually build my own machines, I could really use some advice on what brands to look for/stay away from. Or would it be feasible for me to try my hand at rebuilding one from parts? I'm good with PC's but I don't have much experience with building laptops.
Thanks in advance!
1. What is your budget? $200 or less
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? N/A
3. What screen resolution do you want? N/A
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? No
5. How much battery life do you need? I'm flexible
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Nothing very processor-intensive
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Watching movies, streaming video
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'm willing to upgrade later if I need it.