Confused about GeForceFX 5900 Ultra

deegan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Hey all, I noticed 3 main vendors which seem to be producing video cards with the GeForceFX5900 chipset: BFG Technologies, eVGA.com, and PNY. Does anyone know if there are differences in the products being produced by those companies, or because they all use the same chipset, then it doesnt matter which vendor to use, simply stick with the best price? Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
The main difference would be the quality of the cooling solution and the RAM. If you're not too worried about fan noise or overclocking, then you can probably just go with whatever.

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
As far as I know, all the 5900 Ultra cards (256mb) are based on the nvidia reference design for both the board and cooling system. Only the 128mb versions offer different cooling systems.

If you want the 128mb version, you won't do anything wrong by buying an Asus or Gainward GF FX. The Gainward is somewhat more expensive because the package includes a firewire card and a 5.1 soundcard...

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Avoid the evga, it had some nasty little problems with the ram that causes crashes. I dont know if they were resolved or what... but I'd avoid them. Gainward has one out also that looks damn nice.

Shadus

G

PNY usually sticks to reference design.Never heard of the 2 other and I never had any problem with PNY so i wud go with them