Word Document Has Many Tiny Boxes

mort

Hi,

I have a document made with Microsoft Word 95. I'm now running Windows
XP Pro and Word 2004.
The document is basically in three sections.
The first third is just numerous little square boxes and other
random-looking characters.
The second third is text, easily readable.
The last third is text interspersed with those little boxes, making it
difficult to read.

Is there any way that I can remove those pesky little boxes, etc., and
be left with just the text that I need to read?

Thanks.

Morton

The boxes come when the original document was written with a font that does
not exist on your current computer. Your computer is trying to guess at the
font. Highlight the entire document and change to one of your current
fonts.

"mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a document made with Microsoft Word 95. I'm now running Windows
> XP Pro and Word 2004.
> The document is basically in three sections.
> The first third is just numerous little square boxes and other
> random-looking characters.
> The second third is text, easily readable.
> The last third is text interspersed with those little boxes, making it
> difficult to read.
>
> Is there any way that I can remove those pesky little boxes, etc., and
> be left with just the text that I need to read?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Morton

mort

Hi Rich,
Thanks for your helpful reply. I'll take your advice and try it.
Mort

Richard Goh wrote:

> The boxes come when the original document was written with a font that does
> not exist on your current computer. Your computer is trying to guess at the
> font. Highlight the entire document and change to one of your current
> fonts.
>
> "mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a document made with Microsoft Word 95. I'm now running Windows
> > XP Pro and Word 2004.
> > The document is basically in three sections.
> > The first third is just numerous little square boxes and other
> > random-looking characters.
> > The second third is text, easily readable.
> > The last third is text interspersed with those little boxes, making it
> > difficult to read.
> >
> > Is there any way that I can remove those pesky little boxes, etc., and
> > be left with just the text that I need to read?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Morton

mort

Hi again,

You were right. The Word document was in some strange font that I never heard
of. I changed to Courier 12, and things got much better. There are now some
small black bars and scattered y letters, but most of the text is uncluttered
and readable. The last third of the text is weird though, with a space between
each letter and long run-on sentences. Perhaps that was the fault of the person
who wrote the document.

Thanks again for your help.

Mort

Richard Goh wrote:

> The boxes come when the original document was written with a font that does
> not exist on your current computer. Your computer is trying to guess at the
> font. Highlight the entire document and change to one of your current
> fonts.
>
> "mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a document made with Microsoft Word 95. I'm now running Windows
> > XP Pro and Word 2004.
> > The document is basically in three sections.
> > The first third is just numerous little square boxes and other
> > random-looking characters.
> > The second third is text, easily readable.
> > The last third is text interspersed with those little boxes, making it
> > difficult to read.
> >
> > Is there any way that I can remove those pesky little boxes, etc., and
> > be left with just the text that I need to read?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Morton

You are Welcome. Thanks for the reply so that others can benefit too.