token creatures

sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"

In news:419b7fd4$1_1@news.tm.net.my,
The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:

> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
> graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)

Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard. (This
triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from play..."
effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are checked (which is the
next time any player gets priority), the token dissappears into "token
creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and is no longer in the game. (I
can't think of any, but this should trigger any "When X is removed from the
game from the graveyard..." abilities.)

Hope that helps.

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

The Dude wrote:

> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
> graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)

Yes.

To be specific, it goes into a graveyard and immediately after it
hits the graveyard, it disappears.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Oh no! It's The Dude!
> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
> graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)

(First off, "die" hasn't been a game term for a very long time. I assume
you mean gets destroyed - by lethal damage or otherwise - or
sacrificed.)

Both. It goes to the graveyard momentarily, triggering anything that
cares about this, then before anything else can happen a state-based
effect makes it cease to exist entirely.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:44:04 +0800, The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
>graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)

It does both, in order; it goes to the graveyard from play, triggering any
appropriate triggered abilities, and immediately after that the state-based
effects rules wander by and hit it with a large hammer, making it Cease to
Exist entirely, so that it evaporates out of the graveyard.

Dave

"Ken Briscoe" <youcant@sendmespam.com> writes:
> (I can't think of any, but [a token disappearing from the graveyard]
> should trigger any "When X is removed from the game from the
> graveyard..." abilities.)

I don't think there are any either, but they wouldn't trigger. The
token simply Ceases To Exist; it doesn't move to the Removed From Game
zone.

--
Peter C.
"Subtlety is when you move the queen to two spaces from the piece it's

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Ken Briscoe wrote:

> In news:419b7fd4$1_1@news.tm.net.my,
> The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:
>>
>> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into a
>> graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)
>
> Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
> destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard. (This
> triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from play..."
> effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are checked (which is the
> next time any player gets priority), the token dissappears into "token
> creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and is no longer in the game. (I
> can't think of any, but this should trigger any "When X is removed from the
> game from the graveyard..." abilities.)

Well, it leaves the graveyard but doesn't enter the removed-from-game zone.

--
David

Ken Briscoe <youcant@sendmespam.com> wrote:
>Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
>destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard. (This
>triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from play..."
>effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are checked (which is the
>next time any player gets priority), the token dissappears into "token
>creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and is no longer in the game.

Right. But:

>(I can't think of any, but this should trigger any "When X is removed from the
>game from the graveyard..." abilities.)

....no, as it does not get moved to the "removed from game" zone. It simply
ceases to exist entirely, disappears, joins the bleedin' choir invisible,
etc., becomes an Ex ... Token.

Now if something removes a token from the game from play, that would trigger
a "When a creature is removed from the game" ability before the token
dissolved. But having the token dissolve isn't the same as "removing it from
the game from the zone it got sent to".

Dave

In news:86actgo0qu.fsf@pcpc.cooper.homedns.org,
Peter Cooper Jr. <pete+mtg@cooper.homedns.org> rambled:

> "Ken Briscoe" <youcant@sendmespam.com> writes:
>> (I can't think of any, but [a token disappearing from the graveyard]
>> should trigger any "When X is removed from the game from the
>> graveyard..." abilities.)
>
> I don't think there are any either, but they wouldn't trigger. The
> token simply Ceases To Exist; it doesn't move to the Removed From Game
> zone.

I believe you're correct. My bad.

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Ken Briscoe wrote:
> In news:419b7fd4$1_1@news.tm.net.my,
> The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:
>>
>> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into
>> a graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)
>
> Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
> destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard.
> (This triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from
> play..." effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are
> checked (which is the next time any player gets priority), the token
> dissappears into "token creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and
> is no longer in the game. (I can't think of any, but this should
> trigger any "When X is removed from the game from the graveyard..."
> abilities.)
>
> Hope that helps.

thanks! heres a few other q's.

1) so if i have 2 'disciple of the vault's, an atog, a 'nuisance engine' and
a token in play, and i sacrifice the token to the atog, im thinking my
opponent will lose 2 life due to the ability of the disciples?

2) if an opponent attacks, in response, can i put an artifact creature token
from 'nuisance engine', and block the attack?

TIA!

disciple of the vault 1/1 (b)
whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may have target
oponent lose 1 life.

nuisance engine (3)
2, (t): put a 0/1 artifact creature token into play.

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"

In news:419b8aa4$1_2@news.tm.net.my,
The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:

> Ken Briscoe wrote:
>> In news:419b7fd4$1_1@news.tm.net.my,
>> The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:
>>>
>>> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into
>>> a graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)
>>
>> Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
>> destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard.
>> (This triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from
>> play..." effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are
>> checked (which is the next time any player gets priority), the token
>> dissappears into "token creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and
>> is no longer in the game. (I can't think of any, but this should
>> trigger any "When X is removed from the game from the graveyard..."
>> abilities.)
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>
> thanks! heres a few other q's.
>
> 1) so if i have 2 'disciple of the vault's, an atog, a 'nuisance
> engine' and a token in play, and i sacrifice the token to the atog,
> im thinking my opponent will lose 2 life due to the ability of the
> disciples?

Absolutely.

> 2) if an opponent attacks, in response, can i put an artifact
> creature token from 'nuisance engine', and block the attack?

Yeah. Your opponent enters his combat phase, and you have a chance to make a
token, but you may choose not to. Your opponent, assuming nothing happens,
enters his declare attackers step, and you may make a token (this would be
your last chance to make a token that can block this turn). Assume you do
make the token. By the time you get to the declare blockers step, the token
is already in play, untapped, and eligible to block.
A trick move in this situation would be to make the token as described
above, declare it a blocker, then before damage is put on the stack,
sacrifice it to the Atog, which pumps him up +2/+2, so he's able to kill a
bigger creature in combat. As soon as you sacrifice it, the Disciples will
trigger (at the same time, but put on the stack in any order you want, if it
matters). If you both pass priority, he'll lose 2 life, Atog will be 3/4 and
the creature that the Nuisance engine token blocked will not deal you any
combat damage - because it is blocked. It turns into a pretty darn useful
0/1 creature at this point.

> TIA!
>
> disciple of the vault 1/1 (b)
> whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may have
> target oponent lose 1 life.
>
> nuisance engine (3)
> 2, (t): put a 0/1 artifact creature token into play.

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Oh no! It's The Dude!
> Ken Briscoe wrote:
> > In news:419b7fd4$1_1@news.tm.net.my,
> > The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> rambled:
> >>
> >> sorry for asking this, but if a token creature dies, does it go into
> >> a graveyard?? or does it dissapear to token creature hell? :)
> >
> > Yes, to both questions. If a token permanent is
> > destroyed/sacrificed/whatever, it is indeed put into the graveyard.
> > (This triggers all applicable "When X is put into the graveyard from
> > play..." effects). Then, the next time State-Based Effects are
> > checked (which is the next time any player gets priority), the token
> > dissappears into "token creature hell" - that is, it "dissolves", and
> > is no longer in the game. (I can't think of any, but this should
> > trigger any "When X is removed from the game from the graveyard..."
> > abilities.)
> >
> > Hope that helps.
>
> thanks! heres a few other q's.
>
> 1) so if i have 2 'disciple of the vault's, an atog, a 'nuisance engine' and
> a token in play, and i sacrifice the token to the atog, im thinking my
> opponent will lose 2 life due to the ability of the disciples?

Yes, assuming, of course, that the token was an artifact creature (for
example, one from the Nuisance Engine).

> 2) if an opponent attacks, in response, can i put an artifact creature token
> from 'nuisance engine', and block the attack?

Well, not "in response" exactly, but yes. You can create a token that
will be available to block as late as the Declare Attackers step, after
the actual declaration of attackers.

> TIA!
>
> disciple of the vault 1/1 (b)
> whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from play, you may have target
> oponent lose 1 life.
>
> nuisance engine (3)
> 2, (t): put a 0/1 artifact creature token into play.

The Dude <thedude@thedudelives.com> wrote:
>thanks! heres a few other q's.
>
>1) so if i have 2 'disciple of the vault's, an atog, a 'nuisance engine' and
>a token in play, and i sacrifice the token to the atog, im thinking my
>opponent will lose 2 life due to the ability of the disciples?

Right. You may sacrifice the Pest token to the Atog, it's a perfectly good
artifact (creature); it goes to the graveyard, triggering both Disciples;
state-based effects are checked for, and the token dissolves out of the
graveyard; THEN the two Disciple abilities are put on the stack and you
choose targets for them. Later they resolve one by one.

>2) if an opponent attacks, in response, can i put an artifact creature token
>from 'nuisance engine', and block the attack?

Not "in response" - declaring attackers (or blockers) doesn't use the stack, so
CAN'T be responded to. But there is an entire step after declaring attackers
but before blockers can get declared, "declare attackers step", and during
that step you may indeed use the Engine, create a Pest token, then a bit later
declare the Pest token as a blocker.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS