of first strike and such.

hello again, tis i, the dude again with another question for your answering
pleasure! er. right.

what happens if i attack with a 2/2 first striker and my opponent defends
with a 2/2 first striker? my take on this was that my attacking creature
lives to kick manila butt again, and the defending creature is DESTROYED( *
not die. thanks for pointing this embarrasing mistake, Jeff Heikkinen. :D )

--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"

In rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules, you wrote:
>what happens if i attack with a 2/2 first striker and my opponent defends

("blocks")

>with a 2/2 first striker? my take on this was that my attacking creature
>lives to kick manila butt again, and the defending creature is DESTROYED( *
>not die. thanks for pointing this embarrasing mistake, Jeff Heikkinen. :D )

They both get destroyed, just as in the case where neither one has first
strike.

If there are attackers or blockers with first strike or double strike at the
point in time where combat damage goes on the stack? Then there will be two
combat-damage steps this Combat, not one. In the first one, only attackers and
blockers with first strike or double strike put their combat damage on the
stack; that includes both of the creatures above. They put it on at the same
time, just like normal, and it gets dealt to both at the same time, and
both are destroyed at the same time right after that.

(In the second step, any attackers or blockers with double strike, plus
any other attackers or blockers _which have not yet assigned their combat
damage this combat_, put their combat damage on the stack; in this example
there aren't any attackers or blockers left to do so, so the 'normal damage'
combat-damage step is uneventful.)

Dave

Oh no! It's The Dude!
> hello again, tis i, the dude again with another question for your answering
> pleasure! er. right.
>
> what happens if i attack with a 2/2 first striker and my opponent defends
> with a 2/2 first striker? my take on this was that my attacking creature
> lives to kick manila butt again, and the defending creature is DESTROYED( *
> not die. thanks for pointing this embarrasing mistake, Jeff Heikkinen. :D )

No problem, and it's hardly the biggest terminology problem we've seen
around here, believe me :). (While I'm at it - "blocks", not
"defends" :). And at least "die" (or "dead" and "kill", in any event)
meant something in the game at one time, though only VERY early in the
game's history. (I seem to be the big one for mentioning older rules
around here, when I'm posting, which is only on and off.)

Anyway, your interpretation of first strike is incorrect, I'm afraid. If
there are creatures with First Strike or Double Strike involved in
combat, there are two damage-dealing steps. (Otherwise, there's only
one.) In the first, ALL creatures with First Strike or Double Strike
deal damage. Therefore, in your scenario, these two creatures would each
kill (see? even we do it sometimes) the other.

(Side note: In the second damage step, all creatures that did not deal
damage in the first step, plus creatures with Double Strike, deal
damage. Note that the "all creatures that did not..." part means that
you can't prevent a creature's damage by giving it First Strike, or by
removing First Strike or Double Strike. Nor can you make a creature deal
damage twice by doing either of these things, barring the case of giving
Double Strike to a creature that already had First Strike.)

The Dude wrote:

> hello again, tis i, the dude again with another question for your
> answering pleasure! er. right.
>
> what happens if i attack with a 2/2 first striker and my opponent defends
> with a 2/2 first striker? my take on this was that my attacking creature
> lives to kick manila butt again, and the defending creature is DESTROYED(
> * not die. thanks for pointing this embarrasing mistake, Jeff Heikkinen.
> :D )

No. Since they are *both* first strike, they *both* get to deal
damage in the first strike damage phase, and they *both* die.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

thanks guys!

--

The Dude wrote:
> thanks guys!

and remember, eating an artifact, like a doorknob spellbomb, DOESNT give you
a +2 attack.
--
"Lousy day? mines probably worster. blogbloke.blogspot.com"