Beacon of Immortality and False Cure question

Scenario:
I play a False Cure at the beggining of my turn. Then I play Beacon of
Immortality targetting my opponent. Do they lose all their life? The
reason I ask is I have been told that because the text of Beacon does not
specifically say "gain life" then it's not a gain for the purpose of False
Cure's effect?

False Cure
Card type: Instant
Casting cost: BB
Card text: Until end of turn, whenever a player gains life,
that player loses 2 life for each 1 life he or she gained.

Beacon of Immortality
Card type: Instant
Casting cost: 5W
Card text: Double target player's life total.
Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into its owner's library.

Thanks
LT.

MonoJoker <monojoker@bigjobs.com.au> wrote:
>Scenario:
>I play a False Cure at the beggining of my turn. Then I play Beacon of
>Immortality targetting my opponent. Do they lose all their life? The
>reason I ask is I have been told that because the text of Beacon does not
>specifically say "gain life" then it's not a gain for the purpose of False
>Cure's effect?

You 'have been told' incorrectly ... at least in part. If the Beacon's doubling
will -raise- their life total? That is a life gain, and False Cure triggers
off it normally. (And, yes, if nothing else happens takes them to 0.)

If their life total is 0 already, then the Beacon doesn't raise or lower it,
and False Cure doesn't trigger. And if their life total is already negative
(they have to have one of about three or four cards, total, in play for this
to be possible and them to survive it), then doubling it _lowers_ it... and
again False Cure doesn't trigger.

But in the vast majority of cases, yes, False Cure will trigger off of a
Beacon of Immortality resolving.

Dave

Simply do the maths!

suppose your opponent is at 10 life points and play BoI, he will gain 10
life points, and atfer he will lose 20 life points. After that he should
be at 0. Meaning that he loose the game. Whatever the amount of life
points your opponent has, he will end up at 0.

Carl

MonoJoker wrote:
> Scenario:
> I play a False Cure at the beggining of my turn. Then I play Beacon of
> Immortality targetting my opponent. Do they lose all their life? The
> reason I ask is I have been told that because the text of Beacon does not
> specifically say "gain life" then it's not a gain for the purpose of False
> Cure's effect?
>
> False Cure
> Card type: Instant
> Casting cost: BB
> Card text: Until end of turn, whenever a player gains life,
> that player loses 2 life for each 1 life he or she gained.
>
> Beacon of Immortality
> Card type: Instant
> Casting cost: 5W
> Card text: Double target player's life total.
> Shuffle Beacon of Immortality into its owner's library.
>
> Thanks
> LT.

MonoJoker sez:

<<
>Scenario:
>I play a False Cure at the beggining of my turn. Then I play Beacon of
>Immortality targetting my opponent. Do they lose all their life?

Yes they do. First, the Beacon doubles the player's life. That doubling (if
that player's life total is positive) triggers False Cure, which makes them
lose 2 life for each 1 life lost. And since they gained life equal to their
pre-Beacon life, when the trigger resolves, they'll have 0 life.

<<
>The reason I ask is I have been told that because the text of Beacon does not
>specifically say "gain life" then it's not a gain for the purpose of False
Cure's effect?

Whenever a player's life total changes, the game state asks, "up or down?" If
up, it's a life gain; if down, it's a life loss. That is the ONLY criteria for
a life gain or loss.

----
Just say "No" to the draft!