Is there such a thing as a Dell laptop???

I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
lap and take to meetings, etc.

I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
definitely not.

So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or so.

If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400, which
has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move it around
(the laptop).

Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a Gateway).

Mel
18 answers Last reply
More about thing dell laptop

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    >lap and take to meetings, etc.

    Although they are called Laptop computers, NONE are designed to actually be
    used in the lap. When used in the lap, many of the places they get air to
    control heat will be blocked and the "laptop" malfunctions and then guess
    who is at fault, & I'll give you a hint, it's not the manufacturer, &
    another hint, look in the mirror!! Many who want to use one in the lap have
    a bottom padded hard surface lap board to sit the "laptop" computer on and
    have no problems until they spill the drink.
    Tom J

    ....hence the name notebook. ;-)

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    >>lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > Although they are called Laptop computers, NONE are designed to actually
    > be used in the lap. When used in the lap, many of the places they get air
    > to control heat will be blocked and the "laptop" malfunctions and then
    > guess who is at fault, & I'll give you a hint, it's not the manufacturer,
    > & another hint, look in the mirror!! Many who want to use one in the lap
    > have a bottom padded hard surface lap board to sit the "laptop" computer
    > on and have no problems until they spill the drink.
    > Tom J

    http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/product505_0.htm
    Just in case you want one, here is an assortment of laptop desk.
    Tom J

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    >>lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > Although they are called Laptop computers, NONE are designed to actually
    > be used in the lap. When used in the lap, many of the places they get air
    > to control heat will be blocked and the "laptop" malfunctions and then
    > guess who is at fault, & I'll give you a hint, it's not the manufacturer,
    > & another hint, look in the mirror!! Many who want to use one in the lap
    > have a bottom padded hard surface lap board to sit the "laptop" computer
    > on and have no problems until they spill the drink.
    > Tom J

    The Inspirons are pretty good for the money. You won't find anything better
    for $800.

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    >lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
    > definitely not.
    >
    > So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or so.
    >
    > If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
    > utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400, which
    > has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move it around
    > (the laptop).
    >
    > Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a Gateway).
    >
    > Mel

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in

    > I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use
    > on my lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
    > definitely not.
    >
    > So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or
    > so.
    >
    > If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
    > utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400,
    > which has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move
    > it around (the laptop).
    >
    > Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a
    > Gateway).

    I've used my Inspiron 2650 extensively on my lap. I don't know why anyone
    would say it is not a laptop.

    --
    Tom McCune

    If they do not have built-in wifi, either a PCMCIA (PC Card) or USB wifi adapter
    plugs right in... Ben Myers

    MB_ wrote:

    > I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    > lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
    > definitely not.
    >
    > So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or so.
    >
    > If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
    > utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400, which
    > has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move it around
    > (the laptop).
    >
    > Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a Gateway).
    >
    > Mel
    Anything under $1000 will generally be a desktop processor notebook. To get
    the real mobile processors you will have to pay a bit more.

    Cyclops wrote:

    MB_,
    On my Inspiron I have an aluminum plate under it. The plate was designed
    for defrosting meat quicker. Its footprint is just slightly larger than the
    notebook's. I figure it insures an air space below the notebook for
    ventilation.
    Paul

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    >lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
    > definitely not.
    >
    > So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or so.
    >
    > If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
    > utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400, which
    > has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move it around
    > (the laptop).
    >
    > Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a Gateway).
    >
    > Mel

    Cyclops wrote:

    We don't have AC in the house but even in the winter the laptop gets too
    hot, it doesn't matter what the in house air temp is. Its partly due to my
    wife not being able to keep from blocking the huge vent on the bottom 100%
    of the time. My advice to anyone is to not buy a laptop with a desktop cpu
    if you can help it. Would you put up with a car that you had to stop and
    let it cool every 10 miles? Yet people will put up with a laptop that
    does, many others have the same problem with there models. People spend as
    much $ as they saved buying the laptop trying to but lapdesks and such but
    its much easier to just buy a better model from the beginning.

    Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote in

    > ... Hello to you Tom... I talk to you a lot on PGP Users... Nice to
    > see you here...
    >
    > The reason is that a lot of people don't seem to figure out that the
    > system
    >
    > A) only needs airflow when the fan is actually on (Which you can hear)
    > B) when the fan is on, you can just adjust it so the fan has airflow
    > its not like you have to go and put it away, I do it all the time with
    > my 1100, and in fact, am doing it right now.
    > C) most of the work a person does on the system doesn't heat it up a
    > lot, the main heat in a laptop is created by the CPU at high useage,
    > just cut down what you're doing and the fan may never even come on.

    Hi David,

    Yes, I just saw a great PGP post by you.

    My 2650 has its fan opening in the back left corner, so it is not much of
    a problem leaving it clear. I have a Pentium 4M 2.0ghz chip, so when
    sitting in my recliner, it is running at a slower speed than when plugged
    in, and the fan rarely comes on (I have it set to go up to 2.0 when
    needed). The fan doesn't come on much anyway unless doing something
    intensive such as a defrag. I am planning on an Pentium M for my next
    laptop.

    Being in upstate NY, we do not have air conditioning in the house, so
    sometimes when it is warm in the summer, the laptop can get a little on
    the warm side if wearing only shorts, but never too warm to use.

    --
    Tom McCune

    I've got an Inspiron 9100 (with a desktop 3.0GHz processor), and I can use
    it fine on my lap. When I do that, however, I make sure to put it on a book
    or clipboard so the heat vents won't be plugged. The fans typically only
    kick in when I'm doing pretty intense SQL processing.

    So I'm not sure why you say they aren't laptops... If it's the heat issue,
    that's not Dell specific, AFAIK.

    Clint

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I was looking to get a laptop computer: one that I can actually use on my
    > lap and take to meetings, etc.
    >
    > I thought the Inspiron was such a machine, but others here indicate
    > definitely not.
    >
    > So, is there a low cost Dell laptop? By low cost, I mean under $800 or so.
    >
    > If not, any recommendations?? I want to get a wireless one that I can
    > utilize with my basement (literally and figuratively) Dell Dim 2400, which
    > has a broadband/cable connection. But I want to be able to move it around
    > (the laptop).
    >
    > Again, any recommendation (perhaps a non-Dell item, such as a Gateway).
    >
    > Mel

    I use my Inspiron 600m on my lap with a small pillow under it to raise it up
    a bit and stabilize it. I have used it this way for the last year and a
    half without problems. The fan has never come on, even though the bottom
    gets a little warm under the hard drive.

    WSZsr wrote:

    > I use my Inspiron 600m on my lap with a small pillow under it to raise it up
    > a bit and stabilize it. I have used it this way for the last year and a
    > half without problems. The fan has never come on, even though the bottom
    > gets a little warm under the hard drive.

    Not a great idea.

    The system was designed to have airflow across the bottom of the unit,
    which means placing it upon some type of hard, flat surface.

    Notan

    If it was too hot because of the pillow, the fan would come on. Never has.

    > WSZsr wrote:
    >>
    >> I use my Inspiron 600m on my lap with a small pillow under it to raise it
    >> up
    >> a bit and stabilize it. I have used it this way for the last year and a
    >> half without problems. The fan has never come on, even though the bottom
    >> gets a little warm under the hard drive.
    >
    > Not a great idea.
    >
    > The system was designed to have airflow across the bottom of the unit,
    > which means placing it upon some type of hard, flat surface.
    >
    > Notan

Dell Laptops Computers