major

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004

Hey all,
I wanted to know if you can bridge the wireless
connection? I have a machine downstairs away from my DSL
box, and away from my router and second computer... Well,
the wireless reaches but often lags behind cause of its
poor connection speed... Can I buy another MN-700 router
and have it just repeat the signal of the first one thats
next to my DSL box?

thanks
major

No, the MN-700 needs to be wired to the main router and cannot act as a
"repeater." You would need to look into a full-fledged Access Point
product.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"major" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all,
> I wanted to know if you can bridge the wireless
> connection? I have a machine downstairs away from my DSL
> box, and away from my router and second computer... Well,
> the wireless reaches but often lags behind cause of its
> poor connection speed... Can I buy another MN-700 router
> and have it just repeat the signal of the first one thats
> next to my DSL box?
>
> thanks
> major

there are a few wireless gaming adapters you might want to consider.
these can act as "access point clients" and you can plug them into the
ethernet port of your remote omputer after setting them up.

i've tried both the DLINK DWL 820 and the newer 3420. You would need
to use G with no turbo at all, give the thing a static address in the
192.168.2.xx range and point it at your router. You can configure
these on a computer. use a cross over cable. give the computer a
static IP while configuring. after finishing the configuration, reset
the computer to DHCP. Do NOT buy the MN-740 though as it does not
support WPA. These two from DLINK do.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:01:27 -0800, "major"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

should have added that with a longer ethernet cord, a device like this
should/could solve the problem as placement is more flexible than
wireless NICs

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist