Snow covered land question

Does a snow covered land also count as the basic land in question?
What I mean is:

Can a mountain walker be blocked if the defender has only a snow
covered mountain in play?

Does a nightmare count snow covered swamps when calculating its
power/toughness?

Can snow covered swamps be used with Hecatomb?

Are snow covered swamps affected by Kormus Bell?

Would Flashfires destroy all plains including snow covered ones?

....and so on.

Thanks for any help on this.

Phil.
5 answers Last reply
More about snow covered land question
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Phil wrote:
    > Does a snow covered land also count as the basic land in question?
    > What I mean is:

    Snow cover land are like this:

    Snow-Covered X
    Snow-Covered Basic Land - X

    Snow-Cover is a supertype
    X (meaning forest, mountain, swamp, island or plain) is a subtype.

    When it says "moutainwalk" it refer only to the land subtype mountain.
    If it was to says "snow-covered mountainwalk" to work the opponent
    would need a land that is both snow-covered and a mountain.

    > Can a mountain walker be blocked if the defender has only a snow
    > covered mountain in play?

    No

    > Does a nightmare count snow covered swamps when calculating its
    > power/toughness?

    Yes

    > Can snow covered swamps be used with Hecatomb?

    Yes

    > Are snow covered swamps affected by Kormus Bell?

    Yes

    > Would Flashfires destroy all plains including snow covered ones?

    Yes

    > ...and so on.
    >
    > Thanks for any help on this.
    >
    > Phil.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Phil sez:

    <<
    >Does a snow covered land also count as the basic land in question?

    Yep. The only functional differences are the name and supertype.

    <<
    >What I mean is:
    >
    >Can a mountain walker be blocked if the defender has only a snow
    >covered mountain in play?

    Yep. It's a Mountain, so a mountainwalker can walk right over.

    <<
    >Does a nightmare count snow covered swamps when calculating its
    >power/toughness?

    Yes. It's a Swamp, so it counts it.

    <<
    >Can snow covered swamps be used with Hecatomb?

    Yep. Same reason.

    <<
    >Are snow covered swamps affected by Kormus Bell?

    Yes. Again, because they have the land type Swamp.

    <<
    >Would Flashfires destroy all plains including snow covered ones?

    Uh-huh.

    ----
    Just say "No" to the draft!
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On 19 Nov 2004 08:18:36 -0800, Phil <phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk> wrote:
    >Does a snow covered land also count as the basic land in question?

    Yes; it is basic, and has the appropriate land type.

    >What I mean is:
    >
    >Can a mountain walker be blocked if the defender has only a snow
    >covered mountain in play?

    No. A snow-covered mountain is a mountain.

    >Does a nightmare count snow covered swamps when calculating its
    >power/toughness?

    Yes; they are swamps. They are also snow-covered; Nightmare doesn't ask about
    that.

    >Can snow covered swamps be used with Hecatomb?

    Yes; they are Swamps. However, "regular" swamps _cannot_ be counted for
    Withering Wisps, as it specifies "the number of snow-covered Swamps you
    control"; similarly, Legions of Lim-D\^ul can't "walk" over an ordinary
    swamp, only over a snow-covered one, because they specify "snow-covered
    swampwalk".

    >Are snow covered swamps affected by Kormus Bell?

    Yes, as they are perfectly good Swamps.

    >Would Flashfires destroy all plains including snow covered ones?

    Yep.

    >...and so on.

    In general, a snow-covered basic land is affected by anything that would
    affect the corresponding basic land. But things that specify that they
    affect a snow-covered land WON'T affect one that's not snow-covered.

    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Oh no! It's Phil!
    > Does a snow covered land also count as the basic land in question?
    > What I mean is:

    Just to confirm what you've already been told:

    The type line on, say, a Snow-covered Mountain (I almost typed "snot-
    covered mountain"...) is "Snow-covered basic land - mountain".

    (Note that this isn't what the physical cards say, and until recently it
    wasn't what Oracle said either. But it *is* what Oracle says *now*,
    which is all that matters.)

    Therefore it is both basic and a mountain, and is treated just like a
    normal Mountain by anything that cares about those things. Therefore the
    answer to all your questions is "yes" except the first one, just as it
    would be if these lands were not snow-covered.

    > Can a mountain walker be blocked if the defender has only a snow
    > covered mountain in play?
    >
    > Does a nightmare count snow covered swamps when calculating its
    > power/toughness?
    >
    > Can snow covered swamps be used with Hecatomb?
    >
    > Are snow covered swamps affected by Kormus Bell?
    >
    > Would Flashfires destroy all plains including snow covered ones?
    >
    > ...and so on.
    >
    > Thanks for any help on this.
    >
    > Phil.

  5. I have a similar question, can I use a card that searches my deck for a swamp and puts it into play, like Bad River (Card Text: Bad River comes into play tapped.
    T, Sacrifice Bad River: Search your library for an Island or Swamp card and put it into play. Then shuffle your library.) to search for a Snow-covered Swamp?

Video Games