Question concerning assigning damages involving trample wi..

Here is the situation that I have in mind.

Suppose that I have a 7/4 black creature with trample.
My oppponent has a 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures, and
finally a Samite Healer.
He blocks with the 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures

Could I assign 2 damages to the 2/2 and 2 damages to the 1/1 creatures
and do only 1 damage of trample
to make sure that the Samite Healer does not save one of 1/1 creatures
or do I must assign my damage
as 2, 1, 1 and 3 in trample ?

What if one of the blocking creature had banding ?

Carl

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:07:21 -0500, Carl Joly <palomides@videotron.ca> wrote:
>Here is the situation that I have in mind.
>
>Suppose that I have a 7/4 black creature with trample.

Okay.

>My oppponent has a 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures, and
>finally a Samite Healer.
>He blocks with the 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures

Okay. Notice that the pro-black will NOT affect how the Trample damage from
the attacker gets _assigned_ in any way. (Neither will the Healer, if it's
used beforehand.)

>Could I assign 2 damages to the 2/2 and 2 damages to the 1/1 creatures
>and do only 1 damage of trample

Yes. That's a legal division; you've assigned lethal damage - damage greater
than or equal to (toughness minus existing damage) - to each blocker, and
if that's the case and the attacker has Trample you can also assign damage
- if any remains - to defending player.

>to make sure that the Samite Healer does not save one of 1/1 creatures
>or do I must assign my damage
>as 2, 1, 1 and 3 in trample ?

Nothing forces you to LIMIT yourself as to how much damage you assign to
a blocker, other than the amount of damage you have available to assign. You
could assign all 7 to one of the 1/1s if you wanted. (But if you did, since
the other two blockers would NOT have lethal damage assigned, you could not
assign "6 to that 1/1 and 1 to defender", for example.)

So yes, you can aim an extra point at both 1/1s to ensure the Healer can't
save them.

>What if one of the blocking creature had banding ?

In that case it would not be _your_ choice, alas; if a creature has banding,
half of what that does for it is "My controll assigns the combat damage from
any creature blocking or blocked by me". So in that case defender, not you,
would divide up your 7/4's damage, and would quite probably assign it all
to the 2/2 pro-black blocker, and watch as a bit later it all got prevented.

Dave

Carl Joly wrote:

> Here is the situation that I have in mind.
>
> Suppose that I have a 7/4 black creature with trample.
> My oppponent has a 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures, and
> finally a Samite Healer.
> He blocks with the 2/2 protection from black and 2 1/1 creatures
>
> Could I assign 2 damages to the 2/2 and 2 damages to the 1/1 creatures
> and do only 1 damage of trample
> to make sure that the Samite Healer does not save one of 1/1 creatures
> or do I must assign my damage
> as 2, 1, 1 and 3 in trample ?

As long as you assign lethal damage to the blocking creatures (before
damage prevention), you are free to assign the rest as you wish.
You may assign the remaining three damage to the blockers or the
player as desired. You can also decide not to lethally damage
one or two of the creatures to pile on the others, but then you
can't assign damage to the opponent.

> What if one of the blocking creature had banding ?

The choices remain the same, only the defender will now be the
one making them. Most likely, he'll put all seven damage on
the 2/2 ProtBlack so it'll all get prevented.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."