Scepter or panoptic...

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Is the spell copied by a scepter or a panoptic mirror are put on the stack
when played ? In other word can i counterspell a spell copied by one of
those ?

thanx

Yes.

503.10. To copy a spell means to put a copy of the spell onto the stack;
a copy of a spell isn’t “played.” In addition to copying the
characteristics of the spell, all decisions made when the spell was
played are copied. These include mode, targets, the value of X, and
optional additional costs such as buyback. (See rule 409, “Playing
Spells and Activated Abilities.”) Choices that are normally made on
resolution are not copied. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, but it
has no spell card associated with it. It works just like a normal spell:
it can be countered or it can resolve, and it uses the same timing rules
as normal spells.

Carl

Phil <mjolnir@videotron.ca> sent:
> Is the spell copied by a scepter or a panoptic mirror are put on the stack
> when played ?

Yes. The scepter and the mirror tell you to copy a card and then play
it; to play a copy of a card that isn't a land, you have to put it on the
stack. At that point, it's a spell.

> In other word can i counterspell a spell copied by one of
> those ?

Yes, you can counter these spells - but unless your counterspell is on
a Scepter of its own, you might end up running out of counterspells...

--
-- zoe

Yes but, I think there is also a rule that says (503.12 I think) that
when you play a copy of an object
that act/resolve like a spell then it is a spell on the stack and can be
countered.

Phil <mjolnir@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Is the spell copied by a scepter or a panoptic mirror are put on the stack
> when played ? In other word can i counterspell a spell copied by one of
> those ?

Yes. The played copy is a spell on the stack, and just like any other
spell it can resolve or be countered.

503.12. An effect that instructs a player to "play a copy" of an object
follows the rules for playing spells and abilities, except that the copy
is played while another spell or ability is resolving. Playing a copy of
a nonland object follows steps 409.1a-409.1h of rule 409, "Playing
Spells and Activated Abilities," then the copy becomes played. The
played copy is a spell on the stack, and just like any other spell it
can resolve or be countered.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:38:52 -0500, Phil <mjolnir@videotron.ca> wrote:
>Is the spell copied by a scepter or a panoptic mirror are put on the stack
>when played?

Yes. _All_ copies of spells are put on the stack. The difference for the
ones that say "Copy this <removed from game card> then play it" is that that
copy is made in the RFG zone, _then_ played - and playing it involves putting
it on the stack. The ones that say "Copy this <spell on the stack>" have the
copy come into existence already on the stack.

>In other word can i counterspell a spell copied by one of those ?

Yes. A copy of a spell is itself a spell; a copy of a card in the RFG zone
that gets played makes a spell copy on the stack, so is also a perfectly good
spell. (Spells don't HAVE to have a card 'under' them on the stack, supporting
them in midair - it's just that ones played in the regular manner, and any
CARD played in an irregular manner, do.)

Dave

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:21:17 +0100, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Carl Joly wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> 503.10. ...
>
>Panoptic Mirror or Isochron Scepter don't copy spells. They copy cards.

Right, which is why for those you look at 503.12 instead of 503.10, because
immediately after you make the copy (in the RFG zone, where the original is)
you're instructed to play it.

Dave