XP Activation

PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I was
forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be found.

Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code (that
didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What problems do I face?
7 answers Last reply
More about activation

    You need his CD or a CD identical to it, a generic OEM CD may also work.
    The Product Key on the computer will not work with a CD of a different type
    such as your CD.
    Contact the computer manufacturer for replacement CD

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I was
    > forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be found.
    >
    > Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code (that
    > didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What problems do I
    > face?

    Thanks for the quick response. I will get them to chase up the manufacturer
    asap.

    In news:7C38A686-2880-4563-A43D-E39B6F8E02AD@microsoft.com,
    Gazza <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I
    > was forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be
    > found.
    >
    > Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code
    > (that didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What
    > problems do I face?

    Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
    have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will allow
    you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which will let
    you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a problem. If
    there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over the phone and
    that's usually pretty painless.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks guys, but it looks like there is good news after all. Just discovered
    that Packard Bell don't supply disks as such - there is a partitioned part of
    the drive which stores a recovery programme. So, fingers crossed I will go
    home tonight and just restore XP back to its original settings, using its own
    software.

    Can life be that simple or am I just be too relaxed!

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:7C38A686-2880-4563-A43D-E39B6F8E02AD@microsoft.com,
    > Gazza <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    >
    > > PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I
    > > was forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be
    > > found.
    > >
    > > Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code
    > > (that didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What
    > > problems do I face?
    >
    > Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
    > have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will allow
    > you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which will let
    > you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a problem. If
    > there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over the phone and
    > that's usually pretty painless.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Galen;
    "Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they have a copy, don't let them
    fool you)"
    Do you mean Product Key?
    If so, there is no requirement that OEMs keep a copy and many do not.
    If the OEM says they do not have it, they are probably telling the truth.

    --

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%
    > Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
    > have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will
    > allow you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which
    > will let you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a
    > problem. If there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over
    > the phone and that's usually pretty painless.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Its okay. As I suspected (and hoped) there was a partitioned part of the
    harddrive with the installation process on it.

    YYeeehhhaaaa

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Galen;
    > "Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they have a copy, don't let them
    > fool you)"
    > Do you mean Product Key?
    > If so, there is no requirement that OEMs keep a copy and many do not.
    > If the OEM says they do not have it, they are probably telling the truth.
    >

    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%
    > > Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
    > > have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will
    > > allow you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which
    > > will let you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a
    > > problem. If there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over
    > > the phone and that's usually pretty painless.
    > >
    > > Galen
    > > --
    > >
    > > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Check the manual or their website.
    Many computers shipping without CDs have a method of making the necessary
    CDs.
    If that is not possible, see if a set can be purchased, typically $25 - $50.
    Sooner or later the CD will be needed and $50 now is cheaper than $150 or
    more later.

    --

    > Its okay. As I suspected (and hoped) there was a partitioned part of the
    > harddrive with the installation process on it.
    >

    > YYeeehhhaaaa
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Galen;
    >> "Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they have a copy, don't let them
    >> fool you)"
    >> Do you mean Product Key?
    >> If so, there is no requirement that OEMs keep a copy and many do not.
    >> If the OEM says they do not have it, they are probably telling the truth.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%
    >> > Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you
    >> > (they
    >> > have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will
    >> > allow you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which
    >> > will let you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a
    >> > problem. If there is one then there's going to be an option to do it
    >> > over
    >> > the phone and that's usually pretty painless.
    >> >
    >> > Galen
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    >> > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    >> > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    >> > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    >> > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Support Microsoft Windows XP