Gazza

PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I was
forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be found.

Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code (that
didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What problems do I face?

You need his CD or a CD identical to it, a generic OEM CD may also work.
The Product Key on the computer will not work with a CD of a different type
such as your CD.
Contact the computer manufacturer for replacement CD

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I was
> forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be found.
>
> Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code (that
> didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What problems do I
> face?

Gazza

Thanks for the quick response. I will get them to chase up the manufacturer
asap.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> You need his CD or a CD identical to it, a generic OEM CD may also work.
> The Product Key on the computer will not work with a CD of a different type
> such as your CD.
> Contact the computer manufacturer for replacement CD
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I was
> > forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be found.
> >
> > Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code (that
> > didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What problems do I
> > face?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7C38A686-2880-4563-A43D-E39B6F8E02AD@microsoft.com,
Gazza <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I
> was forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be
> found.
>
> Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code
> (that didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What
> problems do I face?

Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will allow
you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which will let
you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a problem. If
there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over the phone and
that's usually pretty painless.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Gazza

Thanks guys, but it looks like there is good news after all. Just discovered
that Packard Bell don't supply disks as such - there is a partitioned part of
the drive which stores a recovery programme. So, fingers crossed I will go
home tonight and just restore XP back to its original settings, using its own
software.

Can life be that simple or am I just be too relaxed!

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:7C38A686-2880-4563-A43D-E39B6F8E02AD@microsoft.com,
> Gazza <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> > PC came with XP pre-installed. Due to a very serious virus attack I
> > was forced to repair the OS but unfortunately the users disk can't be
> > found.
> >
> > Last resort - I ran my disk but tried the users registration code
> > (that didn't work obviously) but now I need to activate XP. What
> > problems do I face?
>
> Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
> have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will allow
> you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which will let
> you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a problem. If
> there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over the phone and
> that's usually pretty painless.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Galen;
"Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they have a copy, don't let them
fool you)"
Do you mean Product Key?
If so, there is no requirement that OEMs keep a copy and many do not.
If the OEM says they do not have it, they are probably telling the truth.

--

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%
> Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
> have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will
> allow you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which
> will let you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a
> problem. If there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over
> the phone and that's usually pretty painless.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Gazza

Its okay. As I suspected (and hoped) there was a partitioned part of the
harddrive with the installation process on it.

YYeeehhhaaaa

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Galen;
> "Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they have a copy, don't let them
> fool you)"
> Do you mean Product Key?
> If so, there is no requirement that OEMs keep a copy and many do not.
> If the OEM says they do not have it, they are probably telling the truth.
>

> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%
> > Call your OEM or email them. Ask for your serial to be sent to you (they
> > have a copy, don't let them fool you) and then use it. Activation will
> > allow you to enter a new key IIRC or there are a number of tools which
> > will let you do so. After that you should be able to activate without a
> > problem. If there is one then there's going to be an option to do it over
> > the phone and that's usually pretty painless.
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> >
> > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Check the manual or their website.
Many computers shipping without CDs have a method of making the necessary
CDs.
If that is not possible, see if a set can be purchased, typically $25 - $50.
Sooner or later the CD will be needed and $50 now is cheaper than $150 or
more later.