Can Not Change Inetpub Read-Only Attribute!!!

I am attempting the following. I created a web in the Inetpub/wwwroot
directory using MS Visual Studio. When I try to enter data into a MS Access
datbase in that web, I get an error telling me the database is a read-only
file. I changed permissions using my Management Console AND I went directly
to the Inetpub folder and unchecked "Read-Only". It then proceeds as if it is
applying to all files and folders, BUT when done and I go back to the Inetpub
properites, the Read-Only box is still checked!!! What is going on?

Hi

You will perhaps be better off posting your question to a Visual Studio News
Group:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.vstudio.general or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"thall89553" <thall89553@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting the following. I created a web in the Inetpub/wwwroot
> directory using MS Visual Studio. When I try to enter data into a MS
> Access
> datbase in that web, I get an error telling me the database is a read-only
> file. I changed permissions using my Management Console AND I went
> directly
> to the Inetpub folder and unchecked "Read-Only". It then proceeds as if it
> is
> applying to all files and folders, BUT when done and I go back to the
> Inetpub
> properites, the Read-Only box is still checked!!! What is going on?

I appreciate the tip. But, this seems to be an issue with Windows XP, not VS.
If I open a directory in Windows Explorer and want to change its read-only
attibutes, I should be able to do that, VS or not don't you think?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You will perhaps be better off posting your question to a Visual Studio News
> Group:
>
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.vstudio.general or
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>

> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "thall89553" <thall89553@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am attempting the following. I created a web in the Inetpub/wwwroot
> > directory using MS Visual Studio. When I try to enter data into a MS
> > Access
> > datbase in that web, I get an error telling me the database is a read-only
> > file. I changed permissions using my Management Console AND I went
> > directly
> > to the Inetpub folder and unchecked "Read-Only". It then proceeds as if it
> > is
> > applying to all files and folders, BUT when done and I go back to the
> > Inetpub
> > properites, the Read-Only box is still checked!!! What is going on?

Hi

The read-only attribute on the folders does not effect the files in that
folder. The read-only attribute on folders can't be changed.

--

>I appreciate the tip. But, this seems to be an issue with Windows XP, not
>VS.
> If I open a directory in Windows Explorer and want to change its read-only
> attibutes, I should be able to do that, VS or not don't you think?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You will perhaps be better off posting your question to a Visual Studio
>> News
>> Group:
>>
>> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.vstudio.general or
>> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>>

>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> "thall89553" <thall89553@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am attempting the following. I created a web in the Inetpub/wwwroot
>> > directory using MS Visual Studio. When I try to enter data into a MS
>> > Access
>> > datbase in that web, I get an error telling me the database is a
>> > read-only
>> > file. I changed permissions using my Management Console AND I went
>> > directly
>> > to the Inetpub folder and unchecked "Read-Only". It then proceeds as if
>> > it
>> > is
>> > applying to all files and folders, BUT when done and I go back to the
>> > Inetpub
>> > properites, the Read-Only box is still checked!!! What is going on?

Then can the read-only attribute be changed on files in folders? I need to
be able to write to a folder on the C drive. I have two laptops sitting here
on my desk, A and B. A will let me write to files all day long that are in
the Inetpub/www directory. B simply will not.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The read-only attribute on the folders does not effect the files in that
> folder. The read-only attribute on folders can't be changed.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "thall89553" <thall89553@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I appreciate the tip. But, this seems to be an issue with Windows XP, not
> >VS.
> > If I open a directory in Windows Explorer and want to change its read-only
> > attibutes, I should be able to do that, VS or not don't you think?
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> You will perhaps be better off posting your question to a Visual Studio
> >> News
> >> Group:
> >>
> >> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.vstudio.general or
> >> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups.
> >>

> >> "thall89553" <thall89553@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Yes, you should be able to change the attribute, unless any restrictions
have been put on the Permissions.