World Championship 2003 pre-con decks

Are these (or cards from them) legal for type 1.5 tournament play?

The decks come pre-constructed in a box of 90 cards with a deck of 60, 15
sideboard and 15 "blank" cards in the set. They have different backs and
gold borders on the playside of the cards.

eg here: http://www.trollandtoad.com/p112088.html

Thanks
LT.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:58:54 GMT, MonoJoker <Monojoker@bigjobs.com> wrote:
>Are these (or cards from them) legal for type 1.5 tournament play?

None of the World Championship Deck cards, not even the basic lands, are
legal for sanctioned tournament play. Their only use is in friendly play.

>The decks come pre-constructed in a box of 90 cards with a deck of 60, 15
>sideboard and 15 "blank" cards in the set. They have different backs and
>gold borders on the playside of the cards.

And the different backs disqualify them, and the gold borders disqualify them.
(Yes, even if they are in sleeves, and even if you have Carefully Blacked /
Whited Out the borders so that you are not able to see a difference.)

Dave

Just so that you also know MonoJoker, it is because these cards(World
Champs) are too readily available, and thus making the non-precon cards
worth nothing, if they were legal to play with in tournaments..... Everybody
would be buying World Champ decks because they would be easier to get hold
of than the proper cards. (This is purely my opinion.......... Correct me if
I am wrong Dave)

Thanks

"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:58:54 GMT, MonoJoker <Monojoker@bigjobs.com> wrote:
>>Are these (or cards from them) legal for type 1.5 tournament play?
>
> None of the World Championship Deck cards, not even the basic lands, are
> legal for sanctioned tournament play. Their only use is in friendly play.
>
>>The decks come pre-constructed in a box of 90 cards with a deck of 60, 15
>>sideboard and 15 "blank" cards in the set. They have different backs and
>>gold borders on the playside of the cards.
>
> And the different backs disqualify them, and the gold borders disqualify
> them.
> (Yes, even if they are in sleeves, and even if you have Carefully Blacked
> /
> Whited Out the borders so that you are not able to see a difference.)
>
> Dave
> --
> \/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the
> flower
> It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone
> to see
> Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET
> VRbeable<BLINK>
> http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all
> CAPS! --K.

MonoJoker sez:

<<
>Are these (or cards from them) legal for type 1.5 tournament play?

No. Why? Gold borders and different backs.

----
Just say "No" to the draft!

MonoJoker <Monojoker@bigjobs.com> wrote:

> Are these (or cards from them) legal for ... tournament play?
>
> They have different backs and
> gold borders on the playside of the cards.

No. Here's the relevant passage from the Magic Floor Rules:

102. Authorized Cards
Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used
in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in
completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be
considered marked.

If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that
consist exclusively of Alpha cards.

Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or
supplements, such as Collector's Edition, International Collector's
Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship decks, or Unglued
cards.

Note: Unglued basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned Magic
tournaments.

Or another way to put it:

Valid uses for opaque sleeves:
Hide the difference between Alpha and non-Alpha card corners
Hide differing levels of wear on cards
Hide damage to the back(s) of card(s)
Prevent wear/damage to cards

Invalid uses for opaque sleeves:
Hide distinctive backs
Hide gold (or silver) borders
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:37:01 -0500, panoptes@iquest.net (Daniel W.
Johnson) wrote:

>MonoJoker <Monojoker@bigjobs.com> wrote:
>
>> Are these (or cards from them) legal for ... tournament play?
>>
>> They have different backs and
>> gold borders on the playside of the cards.
>
>No. Here's the relevant passage from the Magic Floor Rules:
>
>102. Authorized Cards
>Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used
>in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in
>completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be
>considered marked.
>
>If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that
>consist exclusively of Alpha cards.
>
>Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or
>supplements, such as Collector's Edition, International Collector's
>Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship decks, or Unglued
>cards.
>
>Note: Unglued basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned Magic
>tournaments.

which naturaly will be soon updated to say unglued and unhinged
everywhere that it currently says unglued