HELP: why does my PC keep on giving me "blue-screen"

I always had a thing about my Packard Bell P3 600MHz. It runs perfectly with
Windows 98 & ME. Back in 2001 when I installed Windows 2000 it crashed. So I
reverted back to using ME.

Now I've installed Windows XP SP2 (streamline). The installation process was
a bit messy because I kept on getting "could not read file .... from CD-ROM:
Retry, Cancel, Ignore" messages. Retrying worked for most files but there was
one or two files that I had to ignore because the retry wasn't working. I
still got these messages even with 3 different CD-ROM drives.

In the end I restarted the whole entire installation by putting the HD in
another PC and installing WinXP from there. No problems. I put the HD back in
the Packard Bell and had to perform a "Repair Installation" to fix the
"hal.dll conflict / different MOBO drivers" to rebuild those files specific
to the changed hardware.

Windows XP SP2 seems to work fine. However I got 2 problems. I get random
crashing with the "blue-screen". Something about PC tried to access
inaccessible part of memory. Second problem is that sometimes explorer.exe
doesn't work and crashes from time to time.

I really don't know why I'm getting the "blue-screen". It does however
mention about hardware changes.

Possible things I should try:

1. http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM testing
2. sfc /scannow
3. BIOS upgrade (very hard since PC is totally unsupported)
4. Remove 128MB upgraded RAM leaving original 64MB
5. Get external CD-ROM drive, reinstall WinXPSP2.
6. Read up thoroughly on http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Kevin

In Event Viewer are you getting two error messages on the system tab
during StartUp?

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
FCA