Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. Every time I boot up my machine, it starts
fine except for one problem. I get a little Icon in the System Tray which
tells me that "one of my USB devices is not functioning properly and I
should reconnect the device. If Windows doesn't recognize the device then
replace it". One day its my scanner, another my external hard drive. I
just unplug the USB cable and plug it back in and the problem goes away
until the next day when the problem happens all over again. Any ideas why
this happens and how to fix it? All patches have been applied from Windows
Update. Thanks everyone.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

USB devices may require more power than what the standard PC USB ports can
provide. Have you considered trying a self-powered hub?

"chazdg" <jans__@hazleton.net> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. Every time I boot up my machine, it
>starts fine except for one problem. I get a little Icon in the System Tray
>which tells me that "one of my USB devices is not functioning properly and
>I should reconnect the device. If Windows doesn't recognize the device
>then replace it". One day its my scanner, another my external hard drive.
>I just unplug the USB cable and plug it back in and the problem goes away
>until the next day when the problem happens all over again. Any ideas why
>this happens and how to fix it? All patches have been applied from Windows
>Update. Thanks everyone.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

No I haven't actually. I don't get it. Why all of a sudden do I have this
problem? It never has come up before on the same computer which is less
than 2 years old.