CD error "cyclic redundancy"

Dear friends. I need urgent help. I have lots of CDs on which I've stored
very important files. Although I checked them after recording, and I keep
them in safe place, I cannot open them anymore. I keep getting the message
"error: cyclic redundancy check". What does this mean and is there any way to
recover my CDs? I tried to use a "data recovery software" but it doesn't seem
to work. Any suggestions???????? Thanx in advance.
Sam05
3
answers
Last reply
More about error cyclic redundancy

    Cyclic redundancy check data error - what it means for your data, CD and DVD
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Sam05" wrote:

    | Dear friends. I need urgent help. I have lots of CDs on which I've stored
    | very important files. Although I checked them after recording, and I keep
    | them in safe place, I cannot open them anymore. I keep getting the message
    | "error: cyclic redundancy check". What does this mean and is there any way to
    | recover my CDs? I tried to use a "data recovery software" but it doesn't seem
    | to work. Any suggestions???????? Thanx in advance.
    | Sam05

    Sounds like a dirty disk or the player (laser?) is in need of cleaning or a
    new driver.
    Try reading here:
    http://www.helpcommunity.ehelp.com/robohelp/kb/MISC/27192.htm

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "Sam05" <Sam05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear friends. I need urgent help. I have lots of CDs on which I've stored
    > very important files. Although I checked them after recording, and I keep
    > them in safe place, I cannot open them anymore. I keep getting the message
    > "error: cyclic redundancy check". What does this mean and is there any way
    > recover my CDs? I tried to use a "data recovery software" but it doesn't
    > seem
    > to work. Any suggestions???????? Thanx in advance.
    > Sam05

    P.S. do you have another drive, say a DVDROM ?? Does it work in there?

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    XP Home SP2.
    P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
    "Sam05" <Sam05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear friends. I need urgent help. I have lots of CDs on which I've stored
    > very important files. Although I checked them after recording, and I keep
    > them in safe place, I cannot open them anymore. I keep getting the message
    > "error: cyclic redundancy check". What does this mean and is there any way
    > recover my CDs? I tried to use a "data recovery software" but it doesn't
    > seem
    > to work. Any suggestions???????? Thanx in advance.
    > Sam05

CD-Rom Windows XP